How would "Sunny 16" be applied at altitude, at the equator?

Discussion in 'Exposure Discussion' started by Loren Sattler, Apr 29, 2018.

1. Loren Sattler

Loren Sattler Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I was shooting Tmax 100 today at ASA50 on an outing in Equador at 11,000 ft altitude with a Nikon F2 with a yellow filter at mid day. The weather was cloudy, no shadows which would be a 3-4 stop increase from sunny 16. With heavy clouds (no shadows) the meter in my F2 was indicating f8 at 1/60th shutter speed when I expected it to read about f4 at that speed. This was about a two stops difference (underexposed) from the "sunny 16" rule. Note, I confirmed the F2 readings with my cell phone app. Note, I did not remove the yellow filter for metering.

I usually shoot film near sea level. Should I expect 2 stops more light in these conditions due to high altitude and mid day shooting at the equator? Any experience out there in these conditions?

2. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Much more UV. You have to compensate for this about every 10,000 ft.

PE

3. etn

etn Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I guess a yellow filter should block UV? Or am I completely wrong?
    Thanks,
    Etienne

4. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It would block too much blue. The 1A should be the better choice.

5. Old-N-Feeble

Old-N-Feeble Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ETN, I think you're correct that metering through the filter should prevent, or mostly negate, the meter reading being affected by UV. All I can say is, 'sunny-16' is a only starting point... but you already know this. Your supposition that altitude and sun angle affect scene brightness is at least partially correct. What I'm unsure of is if 'altitude' affects scene brightness, when UV is filtered out. I think it might but I honestly don't know.

EDIT: I just did a very cursory look for affects of altitude on astrophotographic imagery but didn't find anything specific in the couple of minutes I spent looking. I'd think if anyone would know, it would be those folks.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  6. tedr1

tedr1 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I seem to recall that the atmosphere absorbs about 50% of incident visible radiation at the surface compared to above the atmosphere in space, for overhead sun. This is a loss of one stop.

7. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You can look up the various parameters (including latitude) for empiric exposure determination in tables and use a convenient equation to calculate the exposure. (From American Emergency Standard, Photographic Exposure Computer, ASA Z38.2.2--1942)

description.jpg

8. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yay, arithmetic! Back in the 1800s there were tables of relative exposure based on time o day and latitude. But I never saw this standard that gives nonrelative values. Thanks for letting me learn something new today!

9. Photo Engineer

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I repeat.... Kodak made 3 HA filters for UV absorbtion. One is the 2B or 2E for ground level. The others were HA1, HA2, and HA3, each intended for 10,000 ft increments in altitude. Beyond that, things were up in the air. I discussed this with two astronauts trying to clarify things. At present, NASA has answers above this altitude.

PE

10. Alan Edward Klein

Alan Edward Klein Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Sunny 16 rule works between 10am and 2pm when the sun is high. Season of year and geographic latitude also effect the rule.

11. guangong

guangong Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Alan is quite correct. As I recall from something read many decades ago, sunny 16 is specific for the mid latitudes, since that was where most people who were using cameras lived. Higher and lower latitudes required adjustments. Also seasons of the year. That’s why light meters were invented.

12. Old-N-Feeble

Old-N-Feeble Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    All true, but how much does 'altitude' affect exposure if UV is filtered out? :smile:

13. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    These were special filters for aerial surveying. They are are not to obtain off the shelf in standard filter mounts.

14. Photo Engineer

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    They do answer the question posed regarding exposure though.

And, to some extent, they can be gotten if needed.

PE

15. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, as those are gelatin filters you are basically right.

16. Stephen Benskin

Stephen Benskin Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    An example of changes of Illuminance with latitude.

ANSI Exposure Guide 0 and 90 degrees.jpg

17. Photo Engineer

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Now if you could just include color temperature and UV content vs altitude......

18. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Groups:
    Why can't you use the reading given by your F2 light meter Lauren as a basis for your exposure, and bracket a couple of stops, either way,
    monochrome film has about seven stops latitude ( three and a half stops either side of the correct one ), I know it isn't very scientific but you should get at least one or two good negatives.

19. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    Yes, in spite of grousing otherwise, photons still work the same as they did in the past. Even with the advent of digital photography the photos still act the same.

20. cowanw

cowanw Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Ralph W. Lambrecht ran a thread a while back here or on the other site LFFP and quite a few posted their readings of daylight sky. There was remarkable similarity all over the world.

21. Fred Aspen

Fred Aspen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    With regard to altitude I have noted the following: when I lived in Portland, OR (near sea level) I found that my light meters confirmed the traditional 'sunny 16' light levels. When I lived in Tucson (approx 2500') the same meters confirmed 'sunny 16 1/4' light levels. Next stop was Salt Lake (5050') and the same meters consistently measured 'sunny 16 1/2' light levels. On a recent vacation to Wyoming I took some measurements on Togwotee Pass (approx. 10K') and recorded 'sunny 22.' Based on my data, about a half stop decrease in exposure is required per 5K feet.

All measurements were taken pointing incident meters* at a typical subject on a cloudless, clear blue sky day.

Can anyone else confirm my observations?

*Gossen/Sekonic//Quantum Calculight incident meters.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  22. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    Sunny 16 will work at the equator well since the photons already know what to do.

23. OP
    OP
    Loren Sattler

Loren Sattler Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Benjiboy
    Benjiboy, I always prefer to understand what is going on with the technical aspects of photography. Also, it is a nuisance to bracket exposures unless the light is especially difficult. Also, how do you bracket when shooting moving targets such as hand held portraits of young children. It is an asset to be confident in what you are doing.

24. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Groups:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.