How to meter for shop fronts at night?

Discussion in 'Exposure Discussion' started by zowno, Sep 24, 2018.

1. zowno

zowno Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I've been trying to take some photos of lit up shop fronts at night and phone booths and similar. I'm just not sure how to best meter for these situations? Do I spot meter the shop windows or is the meter confused by the light sources?

2. jtk

jtk Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
  3. OP
    OP
    zowno

zowno Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
  4. Berkeley Mike

Berkeley Mike Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Digital
  5. guangong

guangong Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Ditto the Jiffy. There are also other calculators and tables available in many manuals on photography. For the most part any difference in lighting from one window to another can be handled by films exposure latitude.

6. tezzasmall

tezzasmall Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    Over the years, since I was a teenager doing a night time course in the 1970's, I have always relied on what ever exposure meter was in each of my cameras. This has changed from the most basic needle in the view finder, to the one metering cell on the lens perimeter, through to TTL metering on my 35mm film cameras, to multizone metering on my digital.

So, in my view, let your camera meter advise you and do as I did before digital and shoot a print C41 film and you should be fine. Just remember, ideally you need to take a tripod. :smile:

Terry S

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.