How long does Kallitype Fixer stay alive?

Discussion in 'Hand Coated Wet Prints' started by Janosch Simon, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Janosch Simon

Janosch Simon Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Hey there i didnt find a clear answer to my question so i start a new thread :smile:
    i use Sandy kings fixer formular for fixing my kallitypes
    Add 50g sodium thiosulfate, 10g sodium carbonate and 2g sodium sulfite to 750ml water.

how long can i use the fixer? when do i know i need to mix new?

cheers and thx janosch

2. nmp

nmp Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I would say you would have a better luck asking in the Darkroom B&W forum than here.

3. Mainecoonmaniac

Mainecoonmaniac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  4. Herzeleid

Herzeleid Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Sandy King's fixer formula resembles TF-2 in terms of the simplicity of ingredients.
    It is scaled down in terms of thiosulfate concentration and sulfite accordingly and adjusted with a bit more carbonate to give slightly higher if not similar ph.
    I would say the stock should keep for few months, TF-2 stays well for six months.

IMO, I wouldn't risk it for more than 10 8x10 prints, since kallitype contains iron and silver it can exhaust fixer quickly.

5. OP
    OP
    Janosch Simon

Janosch Simon Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    thx serdar :smile: at the moment im still in the testing phase so when i start with important prints i will do sandys two tray method and change the first one after 5-10 prints :smile:

cheers and thx
    janosch

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.