How do you refill your creative well?

Discussion in 'Ethics and Philosophy' started by Mainecoonmaniac, May 15, 2018.

1. Mainecoonmaniac

Mainecoonmaniac Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    For starters, I have to get out of a life and creative rut then get out of my comfort zone.

2. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    I assign myself a project or choose a place to visit. For ideas I have looked at galleries on line like Photrio or Large Format Photography Forum.

3. Trail Images

Trail Images Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I find numerous ways to keep myself motivated. I use to do a lot in the past by traveling out of the area. However, finding that a bit harder over time. So, I use Youtube to follow up on several photographers on a routine basis for some positive thoughts there. Additionally, I have a good selection of gear to spur thoughts on by rotating between those units. Also, mixing up the lens selection on familiar areas or previous compositions helps too. Over the past few years I've even injected panoramic scenes into my photo bucket. They're usually 2 to 3 images horizontally stitched together in PS. I wish I could say weather adds or detracts from the mixture for me, but here in So Cal, well, stormy weather is about a half hour long.......:D

4. eddie

eddie Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Creative ruts can be difficult to overcome, as they have a tendency to feed on themselves. Getting out of your comfort zone is a good idea, as are the recommendations from Sirius. Self assignments are a good way to break out of a slump. I can give you an example of one which worked for me. It may not be for you, but it may trigger an idea which is. About 20 years ago I was in a creative rut. Not doing much photo work for a few months, spending a lot of time listening to music. Some song titles conjured up potential companion images. Rust Never Sleeps sent me to a junkyard, photographing close ups of rusting vehicles. Purple Haze sent me to a garden shop, doing blurry photos of purple flowers. Lost In The Supermarket had me photograph a little kid staring at a huge display of cereal boxes. You get the idea... I never finished the list of songs I made, but it served its purpose. The creative juices were reignited.

5. blockend

blockend Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    The unique selling point of photography for me is its ability to capture a changing world. Things that change relatively quickly like people and the built environment, are of more interest than, say, a national park or other protected landscape. At least as photographic subjects. Looking back at work from the 1970s and 80s I'm more interested in photographs of things and people that are no longer with us or are different, than "better" photographs of compositions that could still be found today.

6. keenmaster486

keenmaster486 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I sometimes listen to classical music to refill my creative well.

7. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    i watch spongebob squarepants and the 3 stooges

8. TheRook

TheRook Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    I take a break for a while and meanwhile I occupy my time with some other hobby.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.