How do I report a potential problem?

Discussion in '[Classifieds] Feedback, News & Discussion' started by Richard Man, Jan 24, 2018.

1. Richard Man

Richard Man Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you search for my WTB thread, I am looking for a Jobo 3004 or 3005. One new person, registered since yesterday left an email. Then offer to sell it for $30 shipping included, but they only take gift cards ~_o :smile: A quick check shows that they answered 7 WTB with their emails.

While I have no proof that there will be problems, this smells bad. I would be glad to retract this post if I am wrong, but meanwhile... BUYERS BEWARE!

2. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    "Report" your own WTB thread post, and include in the report the details. The Reports go to Sean and all the moderators.

3. Helios 1984

Helios 1984 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've just checked, it literally scream scam.

4. binglebugbob

binglebugbob Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    A month or two ago, I posted a wanted ad on this forum. A guy saying he was from Seattle and who also joined the forum that day to offer me the item I was looking for. He had no prior activity on the forum. Seattle is close enough that I offered to pick the item up,,,he wasn't interested.

A Google search of his name disclosed that he was selling a BMW motorcycle on a forum where he lived in Texas, something else where he lived in Kansas, and another item on a forum in a different state. The moderators removed his post from this site and I suspect he was blocked for the future. I also alerted the moderators of the other forums as well.

It could even be the same guy.
    --bob.

5. OP
    OP
    Richard Man

Richard Man Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks

6. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Sad to see that in recent times Buying and Selling seems to have become such a minefield on Photrio. Is it the case that you cannot advertise a sale or post a WTB ad without a subscription but you can respond to a WTB to buy ad simply by joining at no expense

If this is the case then it is bound to leave those who want to buy very vulnerable unfortunately.

I don't suppose there is any way to prevent someone joining and responding to a WTB ad without amassing X number of posts. If this were possible it might prevent most "opportunist scammers"

pentaxuser

7. Bhphoto

Bhphoto Member

Shooter:
    DSLR
    Thank you for posting this. The person in question “svet” contacted me on Craigslist for electronics and would not accept PayPal and only Amazon Giftcards. When I called him out they got mad and started providing me pictures as proof. The deal didn’t sit well with me so I opted out and decided to google their email and found this thread.

8. darkroommike

darkroommike Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Gift cards should never be a payment option, too easy to just pick up blank ones. The most recent IRS scam (US income tax) the perps want only Apple Gift Cards to pay taxes, that would be NO.

9. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It’s not only Apple and Amazon gift cards, they seem to like a Target gift cards too.

10. BMbikerider

BMbikerider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Someone has already mentioned it but I will reinforce what was said. I am the administrator of a forum in UK and before members can get unfettered access I look at the application and if they fit certain criteria they are in. If they don't I google their E mail addresses and it is surprising how many come back to places like Ukraine, Poland, Russia, Namibia, Uganda and the such like. If they show no interest in the forum they are attempting to join (Motorcycles) their accounts are deleted immediately. Doing this we have managed to avoid getting any spam for about the past 4 years. It saves a lot of work in the long run.

You can also check their IP location with a website called 'Who Is'. I will dig out the full URL and post it here.

The full URL is:- https://www.whois.com.au/whois/ip.html

11. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So if someone has not yet shown interest on the matter, due to your investigation, he is refused?

Well, that is a perfect means to get rid of newbies with their annoying questions...

12. CMoore

CMoore Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I would consider Paypal on Craigslist to be a scam.
    I have never heard anybody accepting anything but cash, like at a garage sale. Why would somebody on Craigslist WANT to accept Paypal.?

13. pchaps

pchaps Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Same here. Person appeared, just registered the day before, and said friend had obscure filter that I needed. Friend would only take WalMart funds transfer “in his sons name.” Refused PayPal.

14. Sean

Sean Admin Staff Member Admin

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    got him thanks.

15. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    Thank you Sean!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.