Homebrew f/stop timer

Discussion in 'Enlarging' started by DonF, Mar 8, 2018.

1. DonF

DonF Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Here's a little f/stop darkroom timer that I built based on some open source code I found on an Italian photography site and Github. I fixed the bugs that mostly affected the 16x2 LCD operation and EEPROM saving of parameters. I developed the code fixes on an Arduino, but then transferred the code to a bare ATmega 328p chip for cost and space savings.

The timer is fairly simple. It has a linear and f/stop mode, button selectable. Base exposure is entered in seconds. In f/stop mode, an adjustable f/stop step (down to 1/48 stop) may be set and saved. Adjustments to the base exposure are made using the * and # keys. It does test strip generation with audio prompting in stop increments.

The unit has 9 channels. Separate sets of timings for all modes are stored in each channel. Selectable metronome click. Dodge and burn calculation (1 step/channel only). All operating parameters and last mode (but not times) are stored in EEPROM and remembered.

Parts cost maybe 25.00 USD. I had the case and most other parts, except the AC power relay on-hand.

If there is interest, I can make a schematic and the code available. I tested and debugged it pretty thoroughly. Code is either in Arduino source code or an Intel hex file for burning with a programmer directly to an ATmega 328p chip.

Best,

Don

IMG_7385.JPG IMG_7386.JPG IMG_7401.JPG IMG_7406.JPG IMG_7414.JPG IMG_7415.JPG

2. Canuck

Canuck Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Looks great! I am interested in all the gory details :smile:

3. George Nova Scotia

George Nova Scotia Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm interested in the Arduino code, on my list of things is to build an alternate controller for an Ilford 500 system. Just trying to put the requirements together at this point.

4. OP
    OP
    DonF

DonF Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I'll have to release stuff in stages, as I kind of built it on the fly without a schematic. Here are the connections if using a proper Arduino, though.

The ATmega 328p requires a power supply, crystal, capacitors and a few resistors. It IS easier to use the Arduino, unless experienced in transferring Arduino code to a bare chip.

Don

Schema_CMG001A_bb_web.jpg

5. OP
    OP
    DonF

DonF Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Arduino source code. The latest keypad library is required.

Don

Attached Files:

6. Eric Rose

Eric Rose Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    How much to build one for me?

7. OP
    OP
    DonF

DonF Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    ATmega 328p hex code and fuse settings, for programming bare chip. Requires a 16MHz external crystal and loading capacitors.

Don

Attached Files:

8. OP
    OP
    DonF

DonF Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I'm afraid you're on your own there! Happy to share, but beyond my resources at the moment!

Don

9. George Nova Scotia

George Nova Scotia Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Don. I'll have a look at it all.
    Eric, it's one thing to build these for your self, a whole other world to sell complete devices. CSA, FCC, etc approvals all that sort of thing to make it legal.

George

10. Neal

Neal Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nicely done!

11. Eric Rose

Eric Rose Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't care about all that. Just one friend doing something for another.

12. OP
    OP
    DonF

DonF Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Here is a guide to the functions and operations of the timer:

The unit has two modes of operation, Linear and F/stop. There are four functions within each mode, corresponding to the A, B, C and D keys. Pressing the function select button when the unit is not running or the enlarger on will toggle between the Linear and F/stop modes. Each function (A, B, C, and D) is similar to its function in the opposite mode. Therefore, when the mode select button is pressed, the unit will keep the same letter function, but in the opposite mode. When any mode or function is changed, the unit writes the new selection to non-volatile memory and will power up next time in the same mode.

Linear mode

In this mode there are 4 functions, selectable with the keypad using the keys (A, B, C, D).

Function A (Setup}:
    This mode controls the timer as a simple enlarger switch, for focusing and setup. The "Start" button is pressed and the enlarger turns on. A subsequent press and the enlarger is turned off. The mode can be used to focus or for positioning of the paper and easel. In this mode are also some setup functions:

- You can enable / disable the sound by pressing 0. The setting is saved and remembered after power is switched off.
    - It is possible to select the channel with the keys 1 to 9. Each function/mode combination keeps track of the last times set and used. These memories are per channel. The time settings and channel selection are NOT saved to non-volatile memory and are zeroed and resset to Channel 1 after a reset or power cycle.

Function B (Stopwatch):
    This mode turns on the enlarger at the press of the start button, simultaneously counting the time elapsed with an acoustic
    signal every second. A subsequent press of the button stops counting and turns off the enlarger and halts the count. Pressing the button
    again restarts operation. The time count is reset by simultaneously pressing the * and # keys on the keypad. You
    can not enter time with the keypad in this mode.

Function C (Countdown):
    This mode allows one to enter a time via the numeric keypad (simultaneously pressing the * and # keys on the keypad performs a reset). Pressing the start button turns on the enlarger and simultaneously counts down starting from the time set with an acoustic signal every second. A new press of the button turns off the enlarger and pauses the timer. Pressing the button again restarts operation. When the time reaches 0 the enlarger turns off and the timer is reset to the time initially chosen.

Function D (Countdown with initial enlarger focus)
    This function is identical to the C function, but the first press of the button turns on the enlarger but does not start the counting of
    the time. A subsequent press of the button turns off the enlarger. The third press turns on the enlarger and also begins the
    countdown as for function C. The function is used to perform manual masking or burns that require precision placement. Ex: Set a time of 5 seconds for a burn, put the red filter in place, push the button, position the cardboard / hands / etc under the beam of light, push the button and the enlarger is turned off. Push again to finish the exposure.

F-stop mode

In this mode there are 4 additional functions, selectable with the keypad using the keys (A, B, C, D):

Function A (F/stop precision setting):
    This mode runs the timer as a simple switch. The button is pressed and the enlarger turns on. A subsequent press and the
    enlarger is turned off. The function can be used to focus or for the positioning of the easel/paper. This mode also selects the precision of f-stop units. Pressing the keys from 1 to 0 on the numeric keypad will select the precision that will be used in the functions B, C, and D in f-stop mode. The selectable accuracies are 1; 1/2; 1/3; 1/4; 1/6; 1/8; 1/12; 1/24; 1/32; 1/48 stops. This value is saved to EEPROM and restored after a power cycle or reset. The value is also displayed on the second line of the LCD while in the f/stop modes.

Function B (Test Strip):
    This mode allows making a test strip with increasing exposure steps in f-stop units (precision is chosen in function A). The base exposure is chosen through the keypad in seconds. The enlarger is started with the start button with the paper completely uncovered. After the base exposure and at each f/stop interval thereafter, there will be an acoustic signal of three short beeps and one long to indicate to cover a portion of the paper (test strip) with a piece of cardboard. One continues in this way until the coverage of the paper is complete. By pressing the start button, the enlarger is shut off and the timer stops counting. One can reset the time with the simultaneous pressing of the * and # keys of the keypad.

Function C (Countdown with + or - exposure adjustment in f/stop units):
    This mode allows one to enter a time via the numeric keypad (simultaneously pressing the * and # keys on the keypad performs a clear). The * key decreases the time by a stop or fraction thereof according to the set precision in function A. The # increases the time in a similar fashion. Pressing the start button then turns on the enlarger and begins the countdown, starting from the time set, with an acoustic signal every second. Another button press turns off the enlarger and pauses the timer. Pressing the button again restarts
    operation. When the time reaches zero, the enlarger is turned off and the timer is reset to the time initially chosen. This function can be used to make test strips with modified f-stop exposures on the same paper; A different portion of a test print is uncovered and a complete exposure made with the desired increased or decreased time from the base exposure.

Function D (Masking / burn f-stop):
    This mode allows entering a time via the numeric keypad (simultaneously pressing the * and # keys on the keypad performs a clear). Once the time set, # sets the timer to carry out a burn, while * a mask, at the current f/stop precision setting.

Burn: Pressing the # key is increments the set time by one stop (or fraction thereof according to the set precision in function
    A). Then, pressing the start button turns on the enlarger and begins part of the countdown. During this time only the part of the image to burn is exposed. At the end of the burn time the timer stops by switching off the enlarger, and then displays the time associated with the exposure of the entire image. Pressing the button turns on the enlarger and the countdown resumes to the end of the base time.

Mask: Starting from an entered base time, pressing the * key calculates the masking time according to the set precision in function A. Then, pressing the start button turns on the enlarger and at the same time the first part of the countdown. During this time the area of the image to be masked is covered. At the end of the mask time, the timer time stops by switching off the enlarger, and showing the remaining time for the entire image. The mask is removed and the button pressed again. The enlarger is switched on and the countdown of the balance of the base time completes and the enlarger is shut off.

13. OP
    OP
    DonF

DonF Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    To give proper credit, my code is based on the work done here:

https://github.com/ciromattia/timerino
    and
    https://www.analogica.it/upgrade-timer-con-keypad-t6797.html

The first link is a very old version without the multi-channel feature.

The second is from the analogica.it Italian web site. It was produced as a finished sold unit with LED displays, but retained the LCD capability in the code by defining a different model type. The author had sort of ignored updates for the LCD model, so I fixed the formatting issues and added in conditional compilation statements so the code would work with either version.

There were a few other cut and paste bugs affecting the time variables. I added back in saving the sound and mode settings to EEPROM. I also fixed a rounding error in the f/stop increment/decrement function that helps gives a more consistent result if stepping up or down, then back to original value.

Don

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
  14. OP
    OP
    DonF

DonF Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    YouTube video showing timer operation...

Don

15. Patrick Robert James

Patrick Robert James Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    I've seen a few of these made over the years, but the original Nocon always made the most sense to me, but he invented it of course.

You've done a great job with this one. I could totally see myself using it. Just needs a foot pedal!

16. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    +1

17. OP
    OP
    DonF

DonF Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Thank-you, gentlemen. In fact, I wired a jack for foot pedal in parallel with the red button.

Best regards,

Don

18. awty

awty Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Excellent work Don.
    Thanks for taking the time to put up the build details.
    Might try sometime, looks a lot easier than using an old analog timer and a f stop chart and a lot of mental arithmetic.
    The electronics look pretty straight forward (with out looking too deeply at it), its the programing that I will have trouble with.

19. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I find foot pedals more of hindrance;usually stepping on it accidentally!

20. OP
    OP
    DonF

DonF Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Here are updated software files for the timer, I added display of the channel number to the Setup mode. I also corrected the f/stop time calculation for the Teststrip function to apply proper rounding rather than truncating the floating point calculation, resulting in slightly better accuracy. I had already applied the same fix to the other f/stop functions.

I am including the Arduino sketch and keypad library in the zip file. I am also including the Intel hex file for burning the software to an ATmega 328p chip. The additional text file shows the high and low fuse bits for the chip, which are set in the software used to program the chip.

Finally, I'm including a higher resolution "Fritzing" diagram of the Arduino connections for the timer.

Regards,

Don

Schema_CMG001A_bb_web2.jpg

Attached Files:

21. OP
    OP
    DonF

DonF Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Wiring diagram for ATmega328p chip version - Use .hex code and fuse settings above to program chip with your programmer.

Don
    Schema_CMG001A_bb_Chip_web.jpg

22. OP
    OP
    DonF

DonF Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    If you try to build the timer with th standard keypad Aeduino library, the keypad input won't work quite write. Three entries for each key pressed will be registered

To fix, use the attached version of the keypad library. Remove the ".txt" portion of the file name, unpack and install normally.

Don

Attached Files:

23. Just Fouterin'

Just Fouterin' Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Great work Don, I tried the Italian version of the code but couldn't get the display to work correctly. Your version worked first time. I might try running it on an arduino nano. I'll post a picture when it's boxed up :smile:

24. OP
    OP
    DonF

DonF Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Great, I'd love to see it. One improvement I made was to put a "snubber" resistor and cap across the high-voltage relay contacts. That prevented the Atmega from resetting occasionally when the stabilized power supply for my enlarger (inductive load) switched on and off. I can post details, if needed.

I'd enjoy seeing the packaging. Glad you picked up the special "keypad" library. The current one does not work correctly.

Best,

Don

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.