Threads
Members
Latest member
Keezly
Recent bookmarks

tfelton

Shooter
Medium Format
I saw recently a hole burning tool that had in the center a series of blades in a circle (like a lens aperature) that you could adjust to any size and shape. Has anyone seen one like this and know where you can buy one?

Ted

MurrayMinchin

Membership Council
Council
Shooter
Hybrid
Hi Ted,

Want a low-tech, low-budget atlernative? I use a 13"x16" piece of cardboard with about a 2" diameter hole cut out of the centre. To the side of the hole is a 6" diameter disc with different sized holes in it, from about 1/8" diameter to 2" diameter. Just spin the disc to line up the size of burning hole you need over the big hole underneath. The bottom is covered with a deep flat black paper. It would be simple enough to cut special shapes when needed.

Murray

Woolliscroft

Shooter
Multi Format
MurrayMinchin said:
Hi Ted,

Want a low-tech, low-budget atlernative? I use a 13"x16" piece of cardboard with about a 2" diameter hole cut out of the centre. To the side of the hole is a 6" diameter disc with different sized holes in it, from about 1/8" diameter to 2" diameter. Just spin the disc to line up the size of burning hole you need over the big hole underneath. The bottom is covered with a deep flat black paper. It would be simple enough to cut special shapes when needed.

Murray

You don't even need anything that complex. I use a sheet of card with a single hole. The closer you hold it to the enlarger lens the bigger, effectively, the hole is and vice versa.

David.

Ole

Shooter
Large Format
I've never used anything but my hands!?

The only "tools" I use for printing is a sheet of paper for large-scale gradual burns, and an AN-glass 6x6 slide frame for softening...

pelerin

Shooter
Multi Format
tfelton said:
I saw recently a hole burning tool that had in the center a series of blades in a circle (like a lens aperature) that you could adjust to any size and shape. Has anyone seen one like this and know where you can buy one?

Ted

Hey,
I think what you are looking for is a Testrite vignetter #1. The #2 is, as the other fellow described, a series of cutout on a circular piece of plastic which rotates beneath a larger board.

http://www2.clicshop.com/Scripts/Lo...90&ItemID=9604220&Show=1&Language=2&U=photoco
Is this it?

Any independent photo retailer should be able to order this for you.
Celac.

removed account4

Subscriber
Shooter
Hybrid
eric said:
That's the way I learned it too. For "holes" put the web section by your thumb and meet it with the other hand. Open and close for holes. Requires practice.

i'm with you two. :smile:

David

Shooter
ULarge Format
Maybe not so fast to join the numbering throng. I contact print 8x20 and 11x14 and it's pretty tough to cover the negs with just curved fingers. I was using large pieces of black paper stock with various holes punched through them but then changing the size of the holes became a pain. Somehow, somewhere I had come across one of the 'iris' type card but didn't use it for quite a while. Now I have the thing mounted onto a stiff piece of black mounting board and burning is now easier for those bits that need careful burning. The hands still work for dodging corners or broad areas. There are so many different ways to do the same things. Sometimes I use the wrong finger at the right time last last week when that guy cut me off in traffic... :cool:

Bruce Osgood

Membership Council
Council
Shooter
Multi Format
hortense said:
Ole - I don't understand "AN-glass 6x6 slide frame"?
"AN-glass" = Anti-Newton glass.
"6X6 slide frame" = A negative carrier designed for 6X6 Slide/Transparency.

I THINK Ole is using a negative carrier designed for 6X6 slides with a piece of Anti-Newton Glass installed, I think.

Ole

Shooter
Large Format
Not negative carrier - a GEPE glass slide frame, for MF projectors. The 35mm ones are just too small, 6x6 is perfect.

I use the anti-newton glass half of it as a diffuser when I wish to soften the print a little. I have tried several makes of stockings, and several other "gadgets", but haven't found anything else which gives such nice diffusion. This was especially important to me some years ago, when I did testshots for a model agency...

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom