Threads
Members
Latest member
BrianGreenberg
Recent bookmarks

MattKing

Shooter
Multi Format
Can you post an image of the negatives with the subject detail obscured, but all the edges and space between frames visible? Preferably with a measuring scale adjacent?

MattKing

Shooter
Multi Format
And I've revised your thread title, because "processing query" could be used for 1/3 of the threads in the B&W sub-forum.

OP
OP

Gareth l

Shooter
Sub 35mm
Can you post an image of the negatives with the subject detail obscured, but all the edges and space between frames visible? Preferably with a measuring scale adjacent?

This is all we have scale wise I'm afraid.

Attachments

• WKL 14 negative.jpg
    WKL 14 negative.jpg
    389.4 KB · Views: 29

MattKing

Shooter
Multi Format
I think I see a triangular notch at the top right, on the edge of the frame.
By the way, a blank white screen on a computer monitor tablet or large cel phone makes a great backlight for this. Try blank.org in a browser if you need one :smile:

OP
OP

Gareth l

Shooter
Sub 35mm
I think I see a triangular notch at the top right, on the edge of the frame.
By the way, a blank white screen on a computer monitor tablet or large cel phone makes a great backlight for this. Try blank.org in a browser if you need one :smile:

I don't have these images, just the photos of someone else holding them.

MattKing

Shooter
Multi Format
I don't have these images, just the photos of someone else holding them.

Understood.
But it certainly makes your efforts more difficult.
In reference to one of your earlier questions, do the negatives themselves appear to be the same colour? Are they all the same grey, or are they different greys or even are some of them grey and some of them light brown?
I ask because differences in tone in the negatives themselves could indicate:
1) differences in the developer used to process them;
2) differences in post-development treatment - unlikely, but possible;
3) differences in the quality of development - e.g. deterioration due to poor fixing; or
4) differences in how they have been stored or handled or displayed.
Each of the first three would lead to the conclusion that they may have been developed by different people, which might mean they were taken by different people.

OP
OP

Gareth l

Shooter
Sub 35mm
Understood.
But it certainly makes your efforts more difficult.
In reference to one of your earlier questions, do the negatives themselves appear to be the same colour? Are they all the same grey, or are they different greys or even are some of them grey and some of them light brown?
I ask because differences in tone in the negatives themselves could indicate:
1) differences in the developer used to process them;
2) differences in post-development treatment - unlikely, but possible;
3) differences in the quality of development - e.g. deterioration due to poor fixing; or
4) differences in how they have been stored or handled or displayed.
Each of the first three would lead to the conclusion that they may have been developed by different people, which might mean they were taken by different people.

The four known negatives are all the same as far as I can tell. We know that they were all taken within a short space of time on the same day, and with the same camera. Whilst we have a reference that suggests they were made into prints before 1955, only one has ever been recovered, that's a greyish black and white. It can be seen at this link.

The two images in question, or previously in question thanks to the help I've received here, are only known from prints, unfortunately those negatives are missing. There are two known copies of one and three of the other. All but one of these is a brownish colour which we'd thought was sepia, but have learned may not be. One though is black and white.

I realise that may not help.

OP
OP

Gareth l

Shooter
Sub 35mm
OK, by which time the neck was getting floppy again, so they propped the head with a stick.

As much as I hate to say this after all the help I've received here, but I can't go into that aspect of it at the moment. Of course I'll make sure anyone here who is interested gets the full picture after the results are published.

OP
OP

Gareth l

Shooter
Sub 35mm
But this page says that O’Halloran also took photos of the dying animal. Is that the puzzle?

The Thylacine Museum is an ongoing project, some of which dates back 20 years, much of it has been superseded by later research. This is one example. There are two other images of the animal and it's still debated whether they show the animal before or after death. We didn't really know who took those until recently, and we're not really sure even now, but I think what happened in the past was that as O'Halloran was known to have visited and taken photos, these other images were mistakenly attributed to him.

OP
OP

Gareth l

Shooter
Sub 35mm
Sorry, your post #41 wasn’t visible as I wrote #42. Understood.

That's OK, bizarrely it's the stick I can't discuss yet. The history of how the images have been interpreted is fine. If I can answer any questions here it's the least I can do.

OP
OP

Gareth l

Shooter
Sub 35mm
The issues are now all but all resolved. I'd like to thank everyone for the help given, it's much appreciated.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom