Members
Latest member
jowens
Recent bookmarks

juan

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Back in 1968, I bought my first photo developing kit from my local camera store. It contained a plastic tank, a plastic reel, some chemistry, some paper and a contact printing box with a red and a white bulb inside.

I'm trying to remember what the developer was - the same developer was used for negatives and for prints - I believe at different dilutions. It was made by Kodak, and I believe it was either Dektol or D-76. Does anyone remember which was used for both?
Thanks,
juan

Loose Gravel

My friend had a kit, but it wasn't Kodak, it was Ansco. It used some Ansco developer and you diluted it one way for film and another for paper. Probably a compromise either way.

glbeas

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Kodak used to make what they called the "Tri- Chem Pak", which was small packets of Dektol, powdered stop bath and plain powdered fixer. You mixed the developer, processed the film, then diluted the developer 1:1 and made prints with the same chemistry. That was my first experience with darkroom work, done in the bathroom at home dip processing 620 film in a tray and contact printing with a scrap of glass using the bathroom light.

OP
OP
juan

juan

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Thanks, guys. You've jogged my memory.
The darkroom kit was Ansco. When I went back to the store for more developer they didn't stock the Ansco, so they told me to use Dektol. I also eventually used some of the Tri-Chem-Paks before becomming a "real" photographer and buying D-76, Dektol and Stop Bath separately.

Sometimes I think those days were the most fun - when I didn't know anything and didn't expect to know anything.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab Blue Moon Camera & Machine
Top Bottom