Members
Latest member
ocieb
Recent bookmarks

BobGreg

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
I am a new member. I am thinking about getting back into film photograhy after not using any of my film cameras for a very long time. Fortunately, when I stored them away I did so properly and when I tested them over the years they all functioned perfectly.

Are there any members here from Southern New England or the New England region?

Larryc001

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
Hi Bob welcome. Don’t think. Get out those film cameras and load them up. Film and processing has changed quite a bit over the last years. Sorry I am in Canada but I am sure you will find some members near you. Larry

OP
OP

BobGreg

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
Hi Bob welcome. Don’t think. Get out those film cameras and load them up. Film and processing has changed quite a bit over the last years. Sorry I am in Canada but I am sure you will find some members near you. Larry

Thanks for the welcome Larry. I have been going over each camera, lens, and accessories. I hope to get started soon. All I can shoot now is 35mm. Years ago I sold off all my medium format equipment (Hassleblad, Pentax 6x7) thinking I wasn't going to use them again. I guess I was wrong, but I have f an extensive list of Canon equipment and my Leica M-4 system. I think I'll start with my Leica to get back to basics.

albada

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm RF
Bob, welcome to Photrio! (I suppose "Photrio" should be capitalized). Depending on how long ago "a very long time" is, you might not know how fine-grained 100-speed film has become. So grain might not pressure you to use medium format. Anyway, you won't go wrong with the Leica.

OP
OP

BobGreg

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
Bob, welcome to Photrio! (I suppose "Photrio" should be capitalized). Depending on how long ago "a very long time" is, you might not know how fine-grained 100-speed film has become. So grain might not pressure you to use medium format. Anyway, you won't go wrong with the Leica.

Hi, Thanks for the welcome message. A very long time refers back to the mid 80s. I will have to learn the new types as I am used to the names Plus-X Tri-X, Ekatchrome, High Speed Ektachrome, Kodachrome, and the rest of the film types. for starters I am going to shoot primarily in b&w. When I was freelancing most of my clients require color, mostly chromes, but some of the more sophicated clients liked b&w as well. Actually I preferred b&w for many of my assigments. And, you are correct! PHOTRIO should be all caps. My "rookie" error.

Old_Dick

Shooter
Multi Format
Welcome to the group. Here, you will find a great number of smart and wonderful people. I live in south-central NH, 03082,

OP
OP

BobGreg

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
Welcome to the group. Here, you will find a great number of smart and wonderful people. I live in south-central NH, 03082,

Hi, Thanks for the welcome. I look forward to meeting more of the members. I see you are retired. Was your career in IT? I am retired too after owning an IT company in RI and Southern New England from 1982 through 2017. I cut my teeth on Xenix and then on to SCO Unix. My area of expertise was the primary focus on Unix compatible hardware integreation.

Sirius Glass

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
'

Welcome to APUG Photrio!!

Larryc001

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
Bob it sounds like you are fitting in already. I have been retired since 1999. I worked in “IT” long before computer science was even called that. Around 1970 I worked for DEC partly in Maynard Mass. We were in Maynard a few years ago and drove by the old factory. It was strange to see a building that had housed the second largest computer company in the world turned into a business mall. Not only was DEC gone, but the whole bloody minicomputer itself was gone. Crazy.

OP
OP

BobGreg

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
Bob it sounds like you are fitting in already. I have been retired since 1999. I worked in “IT” long before computer science was even called that. Around 1970 I worked for DEC partly in Maynard Mass. We were in Maynard a few years ago and drove by the old factory. It was strange to see a building that had housed the second largest computer company in the world turned into a business mall. Not only was DEC gone, but the whole bloody minicomputer itself was gone. Crazy.
Isn't it something how something that once was is no more. My company was a Compaq reseller and service center. Compaq "dethroned" IBM as the lead PC maunfacturer. Now people ask, Compaq who? Same for Lotus 123, Supercalc, WordStar and a lot of other names that marked our generation is the IT industry. When I first started mu business there were only 5 computer dealers/IT companies list in all of the RI yellow pages. By the early 2000s there were 6 pages.

jnk

Shooter
Hybrid
I am a new member. I am thinking about getting back into film photograhy after not using any of my film cameras for a very long time. Fortunately, when I stored them away I did so properly and when I tested them over the years they all functioned perfectly.

Are there any members here from Southern New England or the New England region?

I just bought HC110 at Hunts on Branch ave last week, I bought my Sprint there too !
NW RI that's up there, do they even have a Del's stand that far away from "Craaaanston"?

Last edited:

Old_Dick

Shooter
Multi Format
Hi, Thanks for the welcome. I look forward to meeting more of the members. I see you are retired. Was your career in IT? I am retired too after owning an IT company in RI and Southern New England from 1982 through 2017. I cut my teeth on Xenix and then on to SCO Unix. My area of expertise was the primary focus on Unix compatible hardware integreation.

Hi Bob,

Mostly R&D. Hardware graphic design, Apollo Computer/HP. Release engineer HP/IBM. Security engineer. All of those and then some at Azores Corp. Most all the Unixes and Linuxes. Amazing all the high tech that went by the wayside. Prime, Sun Microsystems and the beat goes on.

Small Fiber Neuropathy, right after retirement, about 9 years ago. Put the brakes on life.

Getz

Shooter
35mm RF
I’m new here (phototrio) myself. I see your from RI. I used to live in south eastern CT and worked in SW RI before moving to Boston and subsequently to Philadelphia. New England has the best coast for landscape and people photography. I’ve also used larger formats professionally but have paired down to 35mm and even minox subminiature… I always have a film camera on me now. I no longer think “if only I had my camera with me”. Cheers.

VinceInMT

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Welcome back to the world of film. While I never put it totally away, I did go on hiatus for a bit and when I returned most of the film and paper I was accustomed to were gone. That’s not a problem because when I got into this back in the very early 70s, I just learned with what was available. This time around I simply did the same thing.

In a way, there is something invigorating and NOT building on the past and coming into it with fresh eyes. There are new things to learn, to master, and a chance to see things in a whole new way.

OP
OP

BobGreg

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
Welcome back to the world of film. While I never put it totally away, I did go on hiatus for a bit and when I returned most of the film and paper I was accustomed to were gone. That’s not a problem because when I got into this back in the very early 70s, I just learned with what was available. This time around I simply did the same thing.

In a way, there is something invigorating and NOT building on the past and coming into it with fresh eyes. There are new things to learn, to master, and a chance to see things in a whole new way.

Thanks, that is sound advice. I appreiate it.

OP
OP

BobGreg

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
I’m new here (phototrio) myself. I see your from RI. I used to live in south eastern CT and worked in SW RI before moving to Boston and subsequently to Philadelphia. New England has the best coast for landscape and people photography. I’ve also used larger formats professionally but have paired down to 35mm and even minox subminiature… I always have a film camera on me now. I no longer think “if only I had my camera with me”. Cheers.

Hi, I had pretty much the same. 4X5 down to a Minox too. To me the Minox worked fine but was more of a novelty. For medium format I used my Hassleblads or Pentax 6x7. I started with a Rolleiflex TLR back in 1962 when I was at prep school in Thompson CT. I still have it, stored away. But my favorite all round were my 35mm Canons, F1 and EF.

OP
OP

BobGreg

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
Welcome BobGreg!

I am on the software side these days- was more general engineering before that.
We worked primarily on the hardware side. We provided LAN servers, desktop PCs and all the hardware infrastructure needed by our clients. All fo our servers and desktops were built in house and we were very successful at it with as very loyal customer base. Once we installed the network hardware any developement tasks went to a company we partnered with.

Getz

Shooter
35mm RF
Hi, I had pretty much the same. 4X5 down to a Minox too. To me the Minox worked fine but was more of a novelty. For medium format I used my Hassleblads or Pentax 6x7. I started with a Rolleiflex TLR back in 1962 when I was at prep school in Thompson CT. I still have it, stored away. But my favorite all round were my 35mm Canons, F1 and EF.

I was split on the canon f1 or Nikon f3… went with a pair of f3s professionally for the availability to rent lenses I wasn’t willing to buy outright. FD lenses were not available for rent around the Philadelphia area. Now I’m using a leica and occasionally a Nikon fm2. I still have a box of odds and ends that I need to get rid of (I can’t see myself needing 8x10 film holders when I no longer have the camera). Cheers.

OP
OP

BobGreg

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
I just bought HC110 at Hunts on Branch ave last week, I bought my Sprint there too !
NW RI that's up there, do they even have a Del's stand that far away from "Craaaanston"?

Hi, We have a Del's near us on Route 6 in Johnston. I am in No Scituate.

jnk

Shooter
Hybrid
Hi, We have a Del's near us on Route 6 in Johnston. I am in No Scituate.

That's good, you would have had to pack a lunch to drive 20mins to Oaklawn Ave to get one! It's nice up where you live, I almost bought a place in Clayville, near Cuccumber Hill. No Del's in sight and I didn't want to live so close to "suicide6" so I went to Hanton City. It's pretty quiet.

OP
OP

BobGreg

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
That's good, you would have had to pack a lunch to drive 20mins to Oaklawn Ave to get one! It's nice up where you live, I almost bought a place in Clayville, near Cuccumber Hill. No Del's in sight and I didn't want to live so close to "suicide6" so I went to Hanton City. It's pretty quiet.
I try to stay off 6 as much as possible, especially at morning and afternoon commute times. To make matters worse, there is construction going on related to the new Amazon warehouse and distrbution center. I use the back roads to 44. even 44 is a challenge because of the overpass to 295. The state has road projects going all over the place. I'm retired so I don't need to drive a whole lot. Mostly errands.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom