Hello from Nova Scotia

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the PHOTRIO Community' started by Jason K, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Jason K

Jason K Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    IMG_0722.JPG

I've been a digital shooter for a few (7 or 8?) years, and this year I realized that I was getting quite bored with the digital side. I picked up a Nikon FM in late January and managed to shoot one roll through it before I lost it on a plane. It fell out of my bag when we landed at 1 am travelling with a toddler and I didn't check under the seat. Of course the airline never recovered it :sad:

So I have an Olympus om-2n on the way, since I have a 50 1.4 zuiko from my old (broken) OM-1. Looking forward to lots of happy shooting.

First shot off my first roll attached. Nothing special, just seeing if the camera worked.

Cheers,
    Jason

2. Leigh B

Leigh B Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Jason and welcome aboard.

The shot looks good.
    It might benefit from slightly greater exposure to bring up detail in the shadows.

- Leigh

3. keenmaster486

keenmaster486 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Wow! That's pretty annoying :sad:

Welcome to APUG and I hope you have a wonderful journey with film!

4. OP
    OP
    Jason K

Jason K Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks for the feedback. That was my first shot off my first roll of the first film camera I had used in 20 years, and the first time I had ever developed my own film. Any and all feedback is welcome. Hp5 developed in dd-x, shot at 800 and pushed. (Shot at 800 because this is Halifax, most shots are going to be in fairly low light this time of year). Current roll (I have a nikomat el as well) is being shot at 1600. I don't really like the EL all that much, I find it hard to focus except if the light is really good.

Heading south next month for a week, so I'll probably pick up some colour film for that trip.

5. mooseontheloose

mooseontheloose Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG Jason! I've always wanted to visit the East coast of Canada but never got the chance to (I'm a Prairie girl from Manitoba). But now that I live in Japan I'm pretty sure it's exactly halfway around the world for me to get there! Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work in the future.

6. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome, from the other coast. I too have always wanted to visit the Maritimes, but have never had the chance.
    Hope you enjoy APUG.

7. Welcome to APUG

8. sportster44

sportster44 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome from the Nation's capital!

9. George Nova Scotia

George Nova Scotia Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes welcome to APUG, I think there are a few of us here on the east coast.

10. Trail Images

Trail Images Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nice to meet you on line here at APUG, Jason.......enjoy the site and your analog photo outings as well. :cool:

11. ozmoose

ozmoose Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Are you a Haligonian? I always did wonder about that word. Me, I was born in New Mexico, grew up in New Brunswick, visited Halifax and other places (mostly in the Annapolis area, also Sydney one or two times) as a teen in the 1960s. Left in 1969, spent extended periods of time there in 1979 and 1982, last time in Halifax was in 2006,when I fell in love with the place all over again. Sadly for me, I never did live there as a young man, tho I wish I had.

I now live in Tasmania (Australia) and hang out a lot in Southeast Asia, but at times I feel an almost insane hankering to go back to the "Maritimes" as the Atlantic Provinces are widely known, and revisit all my old haunts.

The image you posted brought back so many memories...

Too bad about the Nikon. The Olympus will serve you well. Pick up a Nikkormat if one comes your way at a good price, you will never ever look back! Go for the FT2 or EL, the FTNs are somewhat long in the tooth and have "oddities" that can't easily be repaired now. Nikon F mount lenses seem to be dirt cheap.

Happy shooting in beautiful Nova Scotia, and please post more.

12. OP
    OP
    Jason K

Jason K Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi ozmoose. I do live in Halifax, but I'm not a true Haligonian. I'm what's considered to be a CFA, or "come from away". I've been here a little over 12 years, love the city. Right now I'm doing a bit of a hybrid approach, scanning negatives, until I convince my wife to let me set up a darkroom in the basement. Working on it, just have to clear a few things off the honey-do list first.

I did pick up a Nikkormat (actually a Nikomat) EL for about $25 US, but I'm not all that happy with it. It's a lot bigger than the FM or OM-1, and my eyes aren't the greatest so I do find it hard to focus without a split prism. I will probably get another FM or FE eventually.

I probably shouldn't be talking about the d*****l side of things here? But I do need better software for post-processing.

Thank you to all for the warm greetings.

Cheers,
    J.

13. OP
    OP
    Jason K

Jason K Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I actually posted the photo from my phone, now I'm logging in from my laptop at work and it looks different. It was definitely brighter on my screen at home and when I printed.

14. ozmoose

ozmoose Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Jason, you can get a prescription eyepiece for the Nikkormat (for reasons to do patents or some such thing, Nikomat was, I believe, the US brand for these cameras) from Nikon for (I hope) a reasonable price - I recall buying my last one (I now have three) about ten years ago for A$29. Inflation has reared its ugly head since then and no doubt the price will be higher, but this would be worth while if you intend to use the camera in future.

Nikkor lenses are superb optics. The EL can meter with pre AI, AI and AIS lenses dating back to the early 1960s.

Maybe pick up a 28mm or 35mm Nikkor, a UV (for color) or yellow (for B&W filter), and a lens hood for street shooting. Nikkormats are virtually indestructible and with a little care, with work forever and a day.

They are heavier than many other cameras, it's true, but for us older photographers the added weight makes it easier to hold it steady when shooting.

You were lucky to buy one for US$25. If that included a standard lens, you got a true bargain.

By all means post more shots. I really enjoy my nostalgia trips...

15. OP
    OP
    Jason K

Jason K Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi ozmoose,

That didn't include the lens, I also picked up a pre-AI 50mm f2.

My OM-2n came in, love that viewfinder. So big and bright!

I have about 10 shots remaining on the current roll in the EL, then I'll be developing another batch. I'm not doing a lot of shooting with the film camera yet, but going on vacation in a couple of weeks...

16. Andrew O'Neill

Andrew O'Neill Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to Apug, Jason. One of these days I'll make it to that side of the country!