Hello from Moscow

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the PHOTRIO Community' started by alexvaras, Oct 10, 2018.

1. alexvaras

alexvaras Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi,

My name is Alex, Spanish living in Moscow, Russia.
    Year ago I came back to this thing of photography, I started at 13 yo in my home town with BW photo, lab, prints, etc...
    As well with taking photos again I started to learn how to service old cameras and I love it, taking back to life these beauties it's something I should have started doing it before.
    So far so good, foldings and TLRs are my strong, Contax II/III and 'a' versions as well.
    Normally I service a camera, shoot with it and I start to find a replacement, when I get it I sell the previous one because I believe a camera is to be shot with, so I don't do it for collectors (you may) but users.

Thank you for reading so far.
    All the best,
    Alex

2. Trail Images

Trail Images Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Alex, hello and welcome to the Photrio site.......:cool:

3. Dali

Dali Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Russia is still on my bucket list... Welcome to the site Alex! I hope you will share your experience with us!

4. mooseontheloose

mooseontheloose Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome Alex!

5. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    Welcome to APUG Photrio

6. Helios 1984

Helios 1984 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Welcome to Photrio, my fellow tinkerer. :smile:

7. craigclu

craigclu Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Здравствуйте!

8. chip j

chip j Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    Welcome. Can you just walk around the streets in Russia & take pictures w/o interference?

9. summicron1

summicron1 Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    hey dude, welcome to the club. A lot of folks here use cameras made in the former Soviet Union. Feel free to discuss anything you like.

charlie trentelman
    ogden, utah

10. Black Dog

Black Dog Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello and welcome!

11. OP
    OP
    alexvaras

alexvaras Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I never do but it can be done if you do it quick enough.
    I always ask for permission before taking a picture, after I got it I wait a couple of minutes so they get use to my presence, they continue their stuff and then I take the shot, even when I send the photo by email to the person I wait until I have their permission to post it.
    Here are some samples done with Voigtlander Superb, I have to say they fall in love with the camera and makes it easier :smile:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/11782047@N02/sets/72157672669602328/

This is my way, I know one guy with his Leica M? doing street photography and many 50 year old guy going with big TELE shooting from the distance.

Thank you all for the welcoming!!

12. Ko.Fe.

Ko.Fe. Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Hola to OP!

Feel free to browse at one of the most advanced street photography web site in Russia. It has been up for more than ten years.
    https://rangefinder.ru/glr/
    I went in 2016 to see my parents and renew internal passport with Moscow registration. I took street photography, mostly candid, every day for two weeks. It was way better experience comparing to some moments in Hamilton and Montreal in Canada.
    Nobody throw rocks at me like two creeps did in Peterborough, Ontario.

Some photos and stories about this Moscow 2016 trip are here.

13. OP
    OP
    alexvaras

alexvaras Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Nice photos Kostya, I like your contrast and composition, the one at the velodrome is a killer!

I know the website thank you, sadly I don't know Russian. You are doing the same as my acquaintance here walking around with his Leica M, I hope day I can be so quick with a camera as you are :smile: anyway I couldn't do it, I go with my Brompton around and the camera at the backpack, if I see someone interesting I go back, circle the subject a couple of times, dismount and approach the person, I present myself, not a pro and I promise to send the photo via post, email, whatever. So if the person says no, it's ok, I feel myself embarrassed for 15 seconds until Im on my bike again, if they say yes I take the photo and send it, everyone answered me back very happy having a BW photo they like. I realise I got double reward, making someone happy and having a good photo for my collection.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.