Having problems keeping digital negatives flat

Discussion in 'Digital Negatives' started by Mainecoonmaniac, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Mainecoonmaniac

Mainecoonmaniac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've been making Ziatype prints for a while now. If I print 8x10 or smaller, my negs lay pretty flat. When I make prints that are 8x13, I get patches that are blurry due to the digital neg having full contact on the paper. The coated paper buckles on area coated with an emulsion. Do I need to use a vacuum frame for making larger prints or is here a method of getting by without one? I use DIY 16x20 printing frame which works OK. Any insight would be great.

2. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Never have used digital negatives, but I contact print under a piece of 5/8" glass cut from a glass tabletop.

3. glbeas

glbeas Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you live near Atlanta I have an old vacuum frame for you. As far as the buckling you can try a thin mylar sheet betwwen the neg and paper to isolate it from the moisture in the paper.

4. OP
    OP
    Mainecoonmaniac

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank you Gary. That's very nice of you. I'm feeling that Southern hospitality. :smile: But unfortunately, I'm in California. But I will give the mylar trick a try.
    Cheers!
    Don

5. faberryman

faberryman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sandy King recommends a vacuum frame for larger than 8x10, but I have had good luck using a 16x20 contact printing frame with an additional piece of glass at the back for up to 10x15. I'm using Hahnemuhle Platinum Rag paper for PtPd.

6. OP
    OP
    Mainecoonmaniac

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mr. King's recommendation is a good one. I'm thinking the buckling is possibly related to ambient humidity. Maybe is the difference in moisture content between the coated part of the print and the uncoated parts.

7. faberryman

faberryman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My HPR lies pretty flat after coating. You are not using too much sensitizer and oversaturating the paper are you? I use a total of 3ml (1.5 + 1.5) of solution for a 10x15.

8. OP
    OP
    Mainecoonmaniac

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That is a possibility. But since Ziatypes are expensive to produce, I try not to waste the chemistry by not over saturating the paper. I use a glass coating rod. For my 8"x13" prints, I'll use a total 48 drops of all the chemistry. I could try to pare back on the drops.

9. faberryman

faberryman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use the equivalent of 56 drops with a brush for 9.25x13.875, so using too much sensitizer isn't the issue. What paper are you using?

10. OP
    OP
    Mainecoonmaniac

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm using Revere Platinum paper. What paper do you prefer?

11. faberryman

faberryman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've tried Revere Platinum and liked it. I settled on Hanhnemuhle Platinum Rag because I like it, and can buy it by the 50"x33' roll and cut it to 12x16 with little waste. Gives me a little extra room over the 11x15 single sheets or 22x30 quartered, and saves a little money too.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
  12. Eric Rose

Eric Rose Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Must be those darn pixels clumping up and shrinking.

13. OP
    OP
    Mainecoonmaniac

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the information. I'm sure buying it by the roll offers some savings. Is it the 300 GSM version?