Hasselblad leatherette glue

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by guangong, Jun 14, 2018.

1. guangong

guangong Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The leatherette covering on one of my magazines is not peeling off but instead is sliding around. Which means that it is not stiff but very flexible. When I am holding the camera.the leather scoots up along the back and I must push slide it back into place using my thumb. Any suggestions?

2. nsurit

nsurit Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    sounds like it will need to be removed. What I've used that works well is a product called Pliobond. Stinks really bad at first, but that does go away.

3. naeroscatu

naeroscatu Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    +1 to the above suggestion. You need to detach the leatherette and clean it up well of any residual dried glue (rub using cotton swabs with alcohol or lighter fluid). Apply the new glue.

4. saman13

saman13 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yep, pliobond works very well for putting leatherette on a camera. You can find it at most hardware stores. But be careful, if you squeeze the tube to mix it before you open it, it'll want to all come out at once.

5. itsdoable

itsdoable Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'll just give an alternate view - but point out that Pliobond will work just fine.

Pliobond is a high strength permanent contact cement. For leatherette on cameras, a general purpose contact cement (like Lepages) will work just as well. I will point out that "permanant" may not be what you want on a camera, as the original leatherette is designed to be removable during servicing.

Most factory leatherette is attached with a double-sided tape adhesive, which is applied to the leatherette before cutting. Most camera leatherette from 60's can be heated and peeled off, and the old adhesive layer removed from the leatherette. Double sided adhesive tape (ie:3M) of various permanence can be easily re-applied.

All that said, I have used household contact cement successfully, and it is relatively easy to remove later.

(Note that modern cameras - film and digital - often have a rubber cladding, which may not bond with contact cements)

6. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Pliobond is permanent when used as a contact cement. Glue on two surfaces, let it get tacky & it's permanent. Use it on only
    one surface & it's removable(with encouragement!).

7. shutterfinger

shutterfinger Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Products are not available in all areas of a given country or in all countries.
    Solvent based contact cements require harsh chemical solvents to remove any residue from fingers or camera. Those solvents are not compatible with cameras or skin in most cases.
    A cured single layer of Pliobond 25 can be removed without solvents but acetone makes it easier. Acetone is/was the main ingredient in nail polish remover.
    DAP Weldwood Nonflammable Contact Cement is better as its a neoprene latex based contact cement that can be removed with water when wet or rubs off easily when dry. Its major drawback is its only available in quarts or larger quantities.

Plibond is not available in my area. Members in other areas of the world may have to read spec sheets to find a product available in their area that works similarly to those recommended.

8. sissysphoto

sissysphoto Member

Shooter:
    Traditional
    Web lock tn 25 transfer tape

9. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I do not know Pliobond, but I know other rubber cements (contact cements).
    The idea of applying at both surfaces and let dry a bit is only to yield immediate tack once pressed together. A single-layer, applied between both surfaces still wet, once the solvent evaporated is as strong as a former double-layer.

10. Fin

Fin Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I did quite a bit of research into leatherette glue a couple of years ago, apparently Colall Rubbercement is very close to the glue most manufacturers used, and is what some camera repairers also use

http://www.collall.nl/en/products/glue-and-varnish/collall-photo-glue

I haven't actually used it yet, but this thread has reminded me that I have a 120 back that needs all the leatherette re-gluing so I'll try right now and report back shortly! :D

11. OP
    OP
    guangong

guangong Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    A hearty “Thank You!” To everyone who contributed a suggestion to my slippery leatherette. Right now leatherette is firmly adhering to film back. Perhaps slipping related to temperature, who knows. Next time it starts to slip off I’ll remove it and apply one of the solutions listed above.
    Does any repair of Hasselblad film back require access to anything under leatherette or does it simply serve as a nonslip surface (and aesthetic match to camera body).

12. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    Yes. Also look into replacing all the covers with the color kits which come in black, gray, blue [my favorite], yellow and red.

http://cameraleather.com/hasselblad/

13. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Some adhesives emploid at adhesive tapes deteriorated to dope. Something like that must have happend in your case.