Members
Latest member
Anthony_
Recent bookmarks

campy51

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I just bought a 500 C/M with a couple of the chrome film backs and one of them the insert has the black rim. I would like to swap it with a chrome insert from a A24 back. Are they different or are the interchangeable among all backs?

Sirius Glass

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
If you switch them the performance including flatness may be compromised. Do not swap them. They are matched for a reason.

itsdoable

Shooter
Medium Format
The A24 inert is not the same as a A12 insert, the pressure plate is different. It will fit and work, but you may have issues with film flatness .

Hasselblad matched the last 3 digits of the serial # on the back shell and insert, claiming they were optically matched (which probably has truth in it). You'll find a lot of miss matched shell/inserts (like the one you have) because busy studios with dozens of backs would lose track of them, and the photos turned out fine. Keeping matched shell and insert was important when you had an issue with a back, when a few rolls out of dozens come back bad, you want to identify the bad back, and you wanted to be sure you got both the shell and insert.

Theo Sulphate

Shooter
Multi Format
Look on the optimistic side: you now have a "Panda" back!

OP
OP

campy51

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
The number on the small label on the insert is the same as the shell last 3, but that can't be right.

film_man

Shooter
Multi Format
Personally I think the whole matched inserts thing is just over the top engineering. No other camera system bothers with that. If you really are that worried just shoot a roll with the "wrong" insert and see if anyone notices.

Theo Sulphate

Shooter
Multi Format
The number on the small label on the insert is the same as the shell last 3, but that can't be right.

Someone hunted around for an insert where the last three digits matched; had the insert been chrome, it would've passed scrutiny as being the original insert.

It's dishonest behaviour.

{\begin_tangential_subject
Similarly, the German and Swedish mausers are known for having virtually every part stamped with the last two digits of the serial number that's on the receiver - even noncritical parts such as barrel bands and the cleaning rod. Unscrupulous sellers with bolts that mismatched the receiver would hunt around for bolts with the last two digits they needed. This is why smart buyers always have a set of go/no-go gauges to check headspace, since the consequences could be serious.
}

itsdoable

Shooter
Medium Format
On the other hand, it makes it easy to identify which back is loaded with B&W film...

bdial

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I don't think you can swap inserts for different type backs, i.e. a 12 and a 24, but lot's of people swap 12 back inserts, for example, and generally report that there are no issues in doing so. Yes, they are serial number matched, and "for best results" you should not swap, but the world won't end if you do .
(most likely) :smile:.

Sirius Glass

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
A Hasselblad repair man can make adjustments on the inserts to make them work with mismatched back but I do not think it is really worth the costs. One can run a 120 roll in a 220 back but the last negative will be lost and the pressure would be wrong on the film. Just asking for trouble. One might as well consider jumping out of a flying airplane without a parachute because it sounded like a good idea at the time.

alentine

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Plus,
Long time ago, I read, that there is a problem with flatness, if the film is left in the middle un rewinded(in new mags), let alone using a mismatched insert.

John Wiegerink

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Only use A12 inserts in A12 backs. Only use C12 inserts in C12 backs and so on. As far as swapping inserts in like backs? Feel free to do so since there is "NO" law says you can't. As for some folks telling you it's insane or you'll get terrible results? Do not believe a word of it. Of course when you do try and you do get fuzzy results just blame it on the film or developer. I think you get my drift, but if not then what I'm saying is that sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I actually did a test years ago with three A12 backs. One was old and beat up from much pro use and the other two were in very good shape. Results? I had no problem whatsoever, but that's just me and those three backs. YMMV! JohnW

OP
OP

campy51

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
How can you tell the difference between a film insert from an A12 back from one from a A24 back? Are there any markings?

itsdoable

Shooter
Medium Format
How can you tell the difference between a film insert from an A12 back from one from a A24 back? Are there any markings?

A24vsA12_Insert.JPG

The A24 is less reflective (to reduce halation) and designed to reduce scratching of the film base.

The Film back shell has differences in the film rails to set the height of the pressure plate, and the insert's pressure plates apprear to have the same offsets at the edge, so despite the differences, you can probably use the A24 insert in the A12 shell, and the pressure plate will be in the correct position.

Last edited:
Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom