Members
Latest member
Keezly
Recent bookmarks

RalphLambrecht

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
I just bought one of these beautiful lenses 2nd-hand, and it in fantastic shape. What leaves me wondering is how to attach a filter. I understand, it's a 93-series filter, but I don't have one yet. Once it get the filter, what do I need to do to put it in place?

arigram

Shooter
Medium Format
The front built-in thin lens shade unscrews and you screw the filter in its place. Must be the only non-bayonet filter in the Hasselblad lens system.

dentkimterry

Shooter
Large Format
The series 93 filter mounts inside the lens hood, not sure if you got one with your lens. The 93 series filters have no threads.

Q.G.

Shooter
Medium Format
If you have more lenses you need filters for, it pays to get a ProShade 6093 + adapters, and use 100 mm square gelatin or resin filters in that thingy.

The 93 mm ProShade adapter screws into the lower half of the lens hood (obviously not the 4 petal thingy that is also on the lens, but the circular outer thing), so you need to have that thing with the lens then too.

These lens shades/series filter holders came with the lens, and since there is little other use for them, probably still will be.

arigram

Shooter
Medium Format
How do I 'screw the filter in' (arigram) if the 'filters have no threads' (dentkimterry)?
The filter has threads, atleast the Hasselblad Polariser I have does. It replaces the lens shade.

dentkimterry

Shooter
Large Format

Q.G.

Shooter
Medium Format
I use a 93 mm polarizer which screws in the lower part of the shade cum filter holder.

As you will have gathered, the shade is a two part affair. You unscrew the front part, lay the threadless filter in the rear part, and replace the front part, which then acts as retaining ring.

That means you can't use more than 1 filter at any time. One other reason why using the ProShade 6093 is a good alternative. :wink:

OP
OP
RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
Thanks for all the help. I got the filter today and all works well. However, it took me a while to figure out that the lens shade/adapter is a two-piece design. I spend an hour trying to fit the filter between the shade and the lens. Silly me!

ic-racer

Shooter
Multi Format
I had my 40mm for 10 years and then got the 50mm because sometimes the 40mm is too wide. I always felt SLR viewing on the 40mm was a big advantage over the 38mm.
Enjoy your lens (and post pictures :smile: ).

Q.G.

Shooter
Medium Format
However, it took me a while to figure out that the lens shade/adapter is a two-piece design. I spend an hour trying to fit the filter between the shade and the lens. Silly me!

See post #2, the first reply, in this thread.
Also #3, #7 and #8. :wink:

OP
OP
RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
See post #2, the first reply, in this thread.
Also #3, #7 and #8. :wink:

I managed to misinterpret all of them, because none of them said: Disassemble the hood, fit the filter between the upper and the lower part of it, and screw everything back onto the lens.

Nevertheless, without your help, I would not have made it at all. So, thanks for that.

I must say, I am bit disappointed bei Wildi's Hasselblad Manual, and also the Hasselblad System Compendium. None of them had a description of it, and the lens came without instruction manual. I tried to find one on the web without avail. Does anyone have a copy?

Q.G.

Shooter
Medium Format
You're right about the books: there is very little in any of the editions pointing towards how filters are held in between the two halves of the shade of the 40 mm lens.

Once you have figured out how to use the shade as filter holder, there is very little left for a manual to reveal.
There is a "CFi and CFE lenses" manual here, which at least has a drawing showing the hood opened to place a filter in between the halves.

It also explains how to use the FLE settings.
It is more or less self-explanatory though. The only thing to remember is that the final step in setting both FLE and focussing ring is to refocus using the 'normal' focussing ring.

The controls of CFi and CFE lenses are not entirely the same as CF lenses (though very similar), so if you want to read about the CF lenses in particular, look in the 553 ELX or 503 CX manual.

Fatih Ayoglu

Shooter
Analog
Hi all,
Sorry for replying to an old thread. I am about to acquire a Distagon 40/4 FLE lens and would like to use it with my filter holder. I have purchased the famous 2 piece ring hood as it was saying 93mm on it with 93mm ring for filter holder but to my surprise, that B93 is not really a 93mm thread but probably somewhere between 94mm and 95mm.
Then I have read online that, the actual thread on the lens is 86mm and I can go and buy 86mm ring filter holder but then I am concerned if that 86mm is not a real 86mm. Has any of you have any success by attaching a standard 86mm ring on that lens at all?

Many thanks,
Fatih

5150Bronco

Shooter
Medium Format
Thanks for starting this up! I just got the same lens and I have been trying to figure this out. I have the CFi lens and it says 93mm. When you look for 93mm lens they are well over 200 bucks.

Ralph? Can you speak to your experience here.

I did not know about the 86mm thread size so thanks!

Thanks Q.G. for the manual. I suppose I could measure the lens diameter to see if it is 86.

Fatih Ayoglu

Shooter
Analog
Thanks for starting this up! I just got the same lens and I have been trying to figure this out. I have the CFi lens and it says 93mm. When you look for 93mm lens they are well over 200 bucks.

Ralph? Can you speak to your experience here.

I did not know about the 86mm thread size so thanks!

Thanks Q.G. for the manual. I suppose I could measure the lens diameter to see if it is 86.
It is definitely not a 93mm thread, I've bought a 93mm thread adapter and it is loose by few milimeters. I have a 95mm adapter as well and that is slightly big, like a sub milimeter. I have also checked if anybody does a B93 to 95mm ring, a company called Bokkeh was there but they dont produce that anymore I guess, so my only hope is this 86mm thread on the lens, outside of the petals, is actually a 86mm like we know :smile:

itsdoable

Shooter
Medium Format
It is interesting that this 12 year old thread has not answered the question.

Disclosure - I don't have the Distagon 4/40 CF (it is on my list...), but I do have the Distagon 2.8/50 F that uses the same Series 93 system.

Here is the Hasselblad series 93 filter system
Hasselblad_Series93_adapter_apart.JPG

It consists of the base ring, which is the same on all lenses that use this, the series 93 filter in the middle, and the lock ring on top, which is marked for my lens. The lock ring for the 4/40 is slightly different, it does not have threads to attach any additional filters (and is differently marked).

The series 93 filter is thread-less and 93mm in diameter:
Hasselblad_Series93_filter.JPG

This is what it looks like assembled:
Hasselblad_Series93_adapter_assembled.JPG

The thread on the lens that this adapter goes on is 86x1mm, and a filter with the same thread will fit - although the lens protection tabs on the 4/40 will interfere with a 86mm filter.

Also, keep in mind that 86mm filters came in two thread pitches, 1mm and 0.75mm, so make sure you get the correct 86mm filter! I use standard 86mm (x1mm!) filters on my Distagon 2.8/50 F.

The front of my adapter has a 95x1mm filter thread, where standard 95mm filters will fit (and those only came in one thread pitch). Again, the lock ring on the 4/40 adapter does not have threads.

For the Distagon 4/40, some people use a 86x1 to 95mm step-up ring and use 95mm filters. The step-up ring acts like the Hasselblad series 93 adapter and spaces the filter above the lens protection tabs.

100mm square filters are also an option using the 86mm thread.

Fatih Ayoglu

Shooter
Analog
Yes, I agree it is B93 is 93mm however you cannot use a standard 93mm filter on it as it doesn’t screw in properly and as far as I can see there are couple of mm gap.
Thank you so much for confirming 86mm thread on the lens. This is what I have ordered a step up ring to see if it screw properly on the lens to make 95mm which is common to find. Then I will attach a filter system on it and yes I agree, due to petals, you cannot screw a standard circular filter, unless you have a spacer. Luckily there are spacers for 86mm in the market which we can get to extend the thread on the lens to the level of petals and then attach a 86-95mm step up ring.
I’ve also found out, people use specific Heliopan 111 86-95mm step up rings.

Fatih Ayoglu

Shooter
Analog
So I can confirm, the thread on the lens, outside of patels accept standard 86mm filters as I have managed to attached a 86to95mm step up ring.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom