Latest member
RAWCamera
Recent bookmarks

kal800

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Hi,

I'm in the process of acquiring tripod for my Hassy and future 4x5 system. I began with Manfrotto 405 head with 410 plate and I wonder how to setup optimal binding with camera body. 501C has its own tripod coupling system and it is possible to get bottom plate on eBay, however I'm not sure if it is optimal solution. There is an arca swiss system which is widely recommended, but I wonder if I'd be able to replace original plate with it or I'd need to attach it as additional plate, which I would like to avoid. Is there any solution compliant?

Eff64

Shooter
Medium Format
Hi,

I'm in the process of acquiring tripod for my Hassy and future 4x5 system. I began with Manfrotto 405 head with 410 plate and I wonder how to setup optimal binding with camera body. 501C has its own tripod coupling system and it is possible to get bottom plate on eBay, however I'm not sure if it is optimal solution. There is an arca swiss system which is widely recommended, but I wonder if I'd be able to replace original plate with it or I'd need to attach it as additional plate, which I would like to avoid. Is there any solution compliant?

Acratech 2143 or 2144 camera plates (one has a larger screw, depending on your application) both work great on a V series Hasselblad if you decide to convert. These mount onto the stock foot, fitting very securely.

When I shot 4x5, it was before all of the quick release popularity so you will need to do your own evaluation of that part.

Last edited:

itsdoable

Shooter
Medium Format
Back in the day when Hasselblad V was in production, Clearsight and Markins (and a few others) made an Arca Swiss compatible replacement foot for the Hasselblad bodies. If the Arca Swiss quick release system is what you want, the replacement foot is ideal, you remove the stock foot and replace it. There were variations on how the foot was attached to various bodies, so you have to get one with the correct screw pattern. Although no longer available, they occasionally come up on the 2nd hand market.

I prefer using the Hasselblad OE foot with their quick release adapter, it's lower profile than Arca Swiss, better integrated into the body, and interferes less when hand holding. But if you have other equipment with Arca Swiss already, the conversion is nicer that an adapter plate, especially when hand holding.

Sirius Glass

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Any number of release plates will work.

Sirius Glass

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
There are many ways to get you to spend more money than you need, so I suggest you just get an extra Manfrotto QR plate to leave on the camera and the job is done.

I leave a quick release on my Hasselblad C 500mm lens all the time. I often leave one on my Hasselblad 903 SWC too.

Photowithfries

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
Manfroto made an extension brace to extend for use with longer lenses. It has Velcro strap and it's standard mounting block. With a homemade flat plate connected to another mounting block on the bracket you can lay the camera on it's side and strap it down to give you a good vertical if you are using a 645 horizontal back (like a digital one). Works to keep the back on so dust doesn't get in, and for using a 250 or longer lens. Seems to balance and work well so I just thought to mention it. I leave that QR plate on too, with an old Tiltall.

Photowithfries

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
So, what kind of view camera? Some seem to be lighter than a Hasselblad if you don't count what's in the bag you're carrying.

Sirius Glass

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Manfroto made an extension brace to extend for use with longer lenses. It has Velcro strap and it's standard mounting block. With a homemade flat plate connected to another mounting block on the bracket you can lay the camera on it's side and strap it down to give you a good vertical if you are using a 645 horizontal back (like a digital one). Works to keep the back on so dust doesn't get in, and for using a 250 or longer lens. Seems to balance and work well so I just thought to mention it. I leave that QR plate on too, with an old Tiltall.

If you switched from 645 to 6x6 you would never ever think of turning the camera on its side. Just one of many reasons that square is the prefect format.

guangong

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
If you switched from 645 to 6x6 you would never ever think of turning the camera on its side. Just one of many reasons that square is the prefect format.

I find my Fuji 645 folder an awkward shooter and my 6x6 Hassy, Rollei TLR, and Super Ikonta much more comfortable. There is no rule that one must print full frame. The large square negative offers a great deal of freedom for final printed format.

bdial

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I like Hasselblad's quick release quite a lot. That said, I've standardized on the Arca style quick release system for the rest of my cameras. I go both ways with leaving the QR plate on the camera. I don't yet have enough of them to dedicate one to each camera, so switching them around is a necessary thing.
Sometimes I put an Arca plate on the Hasselblad QR.

• itsdoable
  • Deleted
  • Reason: Duplicate

itsdoable

Shooter
Medium Format
I think it would do the job, but there is very scarce information on that listing...

That does not look like an Arc Swiss compatible foot, it looks like one for the Hasselblad QR system.

The Markins part # you are looking for is P60H (as shown here: https://www.getdpi.com/forum/index.php?threads/hasselblad-v-series-tripod-plate.64551/post-765654)

OP
OP

kal800

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I think, I'll try Manfrotto 405 stock plate and determine whether it would suit me before I decide to convert.

What do you think of Gitzo GT3543XLS legs? I know that the build quality is superb, but this is rather tall tripod. The thing is that I measure 194 cm and smaller one having 156 cm only would be too small for me, but I'm not sure whether such tall legs would assure decent stability and vibration control.

itsdoable

Shooter
Medium Format
I think, I'll try Manfrotto 405 stock plate and determine whether it would suit me before I decide to convert.

What do you think of Gitzo GT3543XLS legs? I know that the build quality is superb, but this is rather tall tripod. The thing is that I measure 194 cm and smaller one having 156 cm only would be too small for me, but I'm not sure whether such tall legs would assure decent stability and vibration control.
Trying the QR plate first is a good way to go - which is what everyone else suggested (They are all probably smarter than I!). If you shoot mainly on a tripod, it works well. I shoot more hand held, and I find any attached plate to be uncomfortably, hence why I use the Hasselblad QR system, which is built in. I looked at the Arca Swiss foot, but I thought the Hasselblad one was better, it's lower in profile and works very well, better than Arca Swiss IMHO.

I have not used the 3543, I have a 2220, 1001, 1098. The 1001 is the 2nd tripod I ever bought, and I still use it (I started with a Manfroto 190, which I also still use). Gitzo's are sturdy, but so are others. A tall tripod is useful, unless it interferes with traveling. You can shorten a tall tripod, you cannot raise a short one. I usually shoot with a waist level finder, so I don't usually need a tall tripod, and weight is important if you are carrying. But in the studio, you use the biggest, heaviest tripod you have.

Shooter
Medium Format

cayenne

Shooter
Hybrid
I went with the Accretech replacement mount for my Hassy 501C.M....worked like a charm to fit it on my arca Swiss systems on RRS gear.

HTH,
cayenne

Shooter
Medium Format
I went with the Accretech replacement mount for my Hassy 501C.M....worked like a charm to fit it on my arca Swiss systems on RRS gear.

HTH,
cayenne

I presume you are talking about the Arca Swuss adapter plate they make? That is what I am using because I couldn't find the Markins plate.

The difference is that the Markins replaces the tapered bottom plate on the camera completely (you remove the Hasselblad plate and screw the Markins in its' place) The Acratech screws onto the existing Hasselblad plate as an adapter. Only a minor difference, but the Markins will sit flat on a table (I think) and is a bit more compact in the bag. I consider it the superior solution, but alas, unavailable.

Shooter
Medium Format
I find my Fuji 645 folder an awkward shooter and my 6x6 Hassy, Rollei TLR, and Super Ikonta much more comfortable. There is no rule that one must print full frame. The large square negative offers a great deal of freedom for final printed format.

+1

OP
OP

kal800

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Well, I got mine Manfrotto 405 Pro head, and their QR system sucks. Plate is too big and the way you engage and disengage the camera from the tripod is far from being ergonomic and friendly. Now, I contacted Markins as well for P60H foot - they are discontinued and out of stock unfortunately. Could not find them on ebay as well. I think the only way is to replace QR of the head with Hejnar set and stick Arca adapter to the existing Hasselblad foot, and set an alarm on ebay - maybe sometime Markins plate will appear to buy.

itsdoable

Shooter
Medium Format
Well, I got mine Manfrotto 405 Pro head, and their QR system sucks. Plate is too big.....
<snip>
. and set an alarm on ebay - maybe sometime Markins plate will appear to buy.
Or... you can pick up a Hasselblad QR unit for one of your ball heads, I find they work well and preserve the compactness and hand hold-ability of the body.

I've gone as far as replacing the ball head QR with the Hasselblad one for compactness:

Gitzo_HasselbladQR.JPG

Hasselblad QR attached to a Gitzo 2780 with a prototype (hack) plate

Manfroto_Mamiya-HasselbladQA.JPG

An old Manfrotto ProBall with a Mamiya made Hasselblad QR unit replacing the 1/4" screw mount.

You can just get the QR adapter unit for the hasselblad foot and attach it to your existing Triopd to see if you like it.

OP
OP

kal800

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Or... you can pick up a Hasselblad QR unit for one of your ball heads, I find they work well and preserve the compactness and hand hold-ability of the body.

I've gone as far as replacing the ball head QR with the Hasselblad one for compactness:

View attachment 317151
Hasselblad QR attached to a Gitzo 2780 with a prototype (hack) plate

View attachment 317152
An old Manfrotto ProBall with a Mamiya made Hasselblad QR unit replacing the 1/4" screw mount.

You can just get the QR adapter unit for the hasselblad foot and attach it to your existing Triopd to see if you like it.

OP
OP

kal800

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
won't work in my case - the tripod should work with three systems - Hassy, 35 mm Nikon of my son, and 4x5 Sinar in near future.

itsdoable

Shooter
Medium Format
won't work in my case - the tripod should work with three systems - Hassy, 35 mm Nikon of my son, and 4x5 Sinar in near future.
I have the junior geared head, and yes, the plate is huge - optimized for large format. It, and the geared head is great for large format, and i found it useful on the RB67 and GX980. I never really used it with the Hasselblad, and it's probably not what you want on 35mm, unless you have a 300mm+ lens on it.

I'd argue you may want a different tripod for 4x5 and 35mm, one for 4x5 would be a bit over kill on 35mm.

And you can mount a Hasselblad QR unit on a spare 405 plate instead of mounting a QR plate to the Hasselblad....

JerseyDoug

Shooter
35mm RF
I use a Gitzo GH2750 Series 2 head for all of my cameras. For my Hasselblad 500C/M I attach an OEM Hasselblad QR to the Gitzo head.

Hasselblad.jpg

For my Nikons or Leicas I put an Arca-Swiss compatible grip or L-bracket on the camera and attach a Kirk QR to the Gitzo head.

Leica.jpg

And for my 3.5MX-EVS Rolleiflex I attach a Rolleifix QR to the Gitzo head (no photo but you get the idea).

It takes me about 15 seconds to swap QR's on the head.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom