Threads
Members
Latest member
coolzizi
Recent bookmarks

ReginaldSMith

Shooter
35mm
Put a test roll through my recently acquired H501c. The images have a larger light leak from the left. See attached.
The processor said he thought it was a shutter problem, but that didn't make sense to me. Any ideas?

Attachments

• leak.jpg
    leak.jpg
    434.6 KB · Views: 123

Sirius Glass

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Remember that the image is upside down in the camera. So a light leak on the left side of the image landed on the right side of the film back. The light came through a bad light seal on the left side of the camera body. Replace the film back light shield. I have serious concerns about your processor blaming a lens shutter.

BrianShaw

Shooter
Multi Format
Which frame # was that?

Seen on 1 frame or all?

Without complete information about the fault it’s hard to say for sure but I’d bet on shutterfinger’s suggestion over that of your processor.

OP
OP
ReginaldSMith

ReginaldSMith

Shooter
35mm
All images look like this. 2 might be a little less flared, but still consistent with this one.

OP
OP
ReginaldSMith

ReginaldSMith

Shooter
35mm
The processor was just talking on a phone message. He doesn't even know what camera that were shot with. I figured his comment was inconsequential.

OP
OP
ReginaldSMith

ReginaldSMith

Shooter
35mm
Thanks. I'll try the light seals and maybe it is a simple fix in spite of how nasty the effect looks! As I said....my first roll through a spendy camera. I think out of the dozens of cameras I've bought used, this is the most dramatic cockup I've ever had on first roll. I won't panic yet.

Shooter
Multi Format
Just like European cars and motorcycles, they have to be maintained. Light traps are part of that maintenance, and fortunately easy to replace.

To be doubly sure, I keep the dark slide out and put a strip of black electrical tape over the slot. There's no need to insert the dark slide if you keep the back in place, and no need to remove the back to change film.

OP
OP
ReginaldSMith

ReginaldSMith

Shooter
35mm
Report:
I bought the A12 light trap kit on Ebay for $13. It arrived today and I installed it. The instructions were good, clear, and there were good photos. The materials consist of a sliver of die cut mylar with a crease, and a sliver of gray foam to go in the crease. About 5-cents worth of materials, but I am sure the die to cut the mylar was a few hundred dollars. So, price was fair enough. Indeed the old trap was fully rotted away. The NINE tiny screws had me a little worried and sure enough one was frozen. Always happens, doesn't it? I carefully worked the stuck screw with some added leverage and thankfully it loosened.
I went right out and shot a roll and sent it off. Hopefully, this will fix the light leak. We'll see. The dark slide did feel tighter going in, so....

In the future, now that I see what the deal is, I will make my own, and save the $13. The nice die-cut mylar isn't going to wear out, just the sliver of gray foam will rot away.

jack straw

Shooter
Analog
Your processor said that because that’s similar to what shutter capping would look like with a focal plane shutter.

GLS

Shooter
Multi Format
Next time you encounter a stuck screw soak it with Acetone aka nail polish remover for 5 to 10 minutes.
A thread locker similar to clear nail polish is used in cameras. It dissolves with acetone. Its used in lens also.

If you do this just make sure you don't get any acetone on plastic parts of the camera. It will partially dissolve most plastics and permanently deface them.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab Blue Moon Camera & Machine
Top Bottom