Harman US Distributor (Wynit) Reorganizing Operations, Harman looking for new distribution options

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by bvy, Aug 29, 2017.

1. OP
    OP
    bvy

bvy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's an interesting combination.

2. OP
    OP
    bvy

bvy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I thought it was pretty clear: "On Friday, the wholesale distributor said it was reorganizing its structure and closing its wholesale distribution division based in Greenville." The thread title just echoes this, and it's well known they distribute a lot of analog photography products.
    If distribution isn't affected by this, then it probably was a good idea to shut the place down.

3. David Brown

David Brown Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have no idea who Wynit is. But I do know the North American rep for Harman. His name is Mike Bain, and he works out of Dallas. I have put in a message to Bain, and I'll report back here when I hear something.

4. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Every thing will be ok folks, sounds like Wynit is reorganizing, I had Mike Bain in my darkroom last week and he would have given me the news if it was to affect Harman Supply.

5. mgb74

mgb74 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Terrible news!!!! But I'll sell you all my refrigerated stock of HP5+ for $50 a roll. (Then replace it at close to current prices.)

Folks, worry about the supply (the manufacturer) and worry about demand (the end consumer). If those are OK, the middleman (distributor) will sort itself out unless we're talking about something very fragile or hazardous.

6. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm not so sure that I agree with this.
    Regular readers of my posts on subjects like this will recognize that I think distribution problems are at the heart of many of the supply and pricing concerns that we have about film and darkroom and alternative products that interest us.
    The post above mentioning Downtown Camera in Toronto is an indication to me that Downtown Camera are likely sourcing their product in the US, no doubt due to the shambles that is the Canadian distribution system for product.
    Anyone who has tried to buy Kodak film in Canada will know of what I speak.
    Ilford (distributed by Amplis here in Canada) has had better availability, but Amplis themselves are selling at retail a100 sheet box of regular Multigrade RC for more than $120 CDN.

7. mgb74

mgb74 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Fair enough; maybe I had my US blinders on. But I would argue that if the market demand in Canada was stronger, your distribution problems would have been solved by a Canadian based distributor.

Take a look at how Wynit Distribution describes themselves: "WYNIT is a leading North American distributor of products from top national brands in photo and video, specialty print, rugged retail and emerging technology industries." It's not like they served only Harmon or even only photo. There are other photo-oriented distributors out there. My big concern would be whether the specific nature of photo sensitive film and paper (primarily heat) would be an issue.

And it's still not clear to me whether Wynit is ending is distribution function or consolidating into another location.

8. David Brown

David Brown Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Turns out Bain probably didn't know last week. Here's the bottom line: Harman is still shipping to North America. Wynit, the distributer is no more, and it was sudden. However, Harman will be looking for another distributer, and things will get back to normal. In the meantime, there might be some short supply or delays on some things until the distribution does return to normal, but it will. There's a whole warehouse (in the US) full of Ilford waiting for a distributor, and more shipping crates on the way. The sky is not falling.

9. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Do not be surprised if indeed Wynit goes away that Harman will deal directly with B&H and the other big stores to varied and many to mention, I think this may be the solution that kind of works for them.
    In Canada Amplis is still the distributer , but I do not see them picking up the whole NA market.

10. Ai Print

Ai Print Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yeah, kinda like a stack of 100 pancakes and a shot of bourbon.

11. mshchem

mshchem Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Absolutely !

12. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Thread title updated to reflect new information posted later in the thread.

Panic buying is not good if we want a steady supply of fresh materials. Please don't encourage it, if you don't have solid information that supplies are actually drying up.

13. OP
    OP
    bvy

bvy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  14. Sponsored Ad
  15. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you read more on that issue it would be clear that so far only that headquarter will be closed, which does not mean that will not be an alternative headquarter. Also there is no hint of an insolvency, nor of their distribution centers having stopped functioning.

16. mshchem

mshchem Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I panic purchased Bromophen when Ilford went under the first time. Man Bromophen goes a long way! I still have 7 or 8 of the 5 liter packs, it keeps well when it's dry. Still it's kinda ridiculous to think that Ilford won't be able to supply the US. Stay calm or end up with a lot of stuff that you won't use for the next 15 years.
    Best Mike

17. Harman Tech Service

Harman Tech Service Partner Partner

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi All,
    I've put a statement in our Partner forum from Giles Branthwaite our Sales and Marketing Director. Giles is currently in the US looking at alternate supply options.
    I'll keep posting updates when there is more to say.
    Regards,
    Neil

18. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  19. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
  20. ericdan

ericdan Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    while they're at it, Ilford should look for a new distributor in Japan. Ilford prices here are nonsense.
    from double to 6x US/Europe prices.

21. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    On the bright side, maybe we can get 9x12 Ilford films here now.

22. Adrian Bacon

Adrian Bacon Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I sell Ilford films on my amazon storefront and previously bought through Wynit. Talk about throwing a monkey wrench into the works.

The good news is that Ilford has started directly supplying the larger sellers with film and has pointed some of the smaller guys like me to those larger guys as sources. I can confirm that unique photo has started getting directly from Ilford as they also apparently previously got it from wynit. This is based on a conversation I had over the phone when I bought more than they had in stock and they mentioned that they have to order it from Ilford since wynit closed.

I’m currently actively trying to get an account directly with Ilford, but so far no luck. I’d think that if I move enough product that unique has to order more to cover my order that Ilford would just sell directly to me, but I guess that’s not how it works.

23. Peter Schrager

Peter Schrager Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Freestyle is getting it direct from Ilford for now
    Shipping by boat so some items may be out of stick

24. Adrian Bacon

Adrian Bacon Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yeah, the lead time I've experienced is a couple weeks before it ships to me from Unique, and it's another week or so via ground from there.

25. blockend

blockend Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I live less than an hour's drive from Ilford's factory, and the prices in the UK are much higher than the US.

26. chriscrawfordphoto

chriscrawfordphoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    British prices include VAT. In the US, most states have a sales tax, which works like VAT but prices are always quoted without the tax, which can make things seem cheap, but the sales tax is 5% to 20% depending on where you live here.