Harman Titan 8x10 opinions?

Discussion in 'Pinhole Photography' started by rince, Feb 6, 2015.

1. rince

rince Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi there!

I have another question, this time concerning the above mentioned Titan 8x10. Does anyone of you use it? I can only find very limited information on how people like it. I watched all the youtube videos and the filmwaster one mentioned, that it has a tendency to wobble in even slight breezes. I am not good at all with tools and I rather would not build a 8x10 camera by myself. Is there a different camera you would recommend for 8x10 (not exceeding the budget of the Titan) ?

Thanks
    Dennis

2. Matt Fattori

Matt Fattori Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'll make you a sturdier one for $300.

3. momus

momus Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'm not a large format shooter, but wonder if the instability is due to its very light weight, or the fact that it's a big camera that is bound to catch a lot of wind no matter what? Or both?

4. OP
    OP
    rince

rince Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I guess it is a combination out of the two and maybe it is also related to the flexibility of the material, but I am honestly not sure. No store around here carries the camera, so I could have a look before I buy, therefore I wanted to see what experiences of people here were with the camera.

5. OP
    OP
    rince

rince Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So what kind of camera are you offering here?
    Do you have pictures and specs?
    Thanks
    Dennis

6. Xpres

Xpres Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    It is like putting a sail on top of your tripod... so you need a very heavy one. The camera itself is very sturdy and attaches well to the tripod.

7. Dr Croubie

Dr Croubie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Keeping it low to the ground may help.

I don't have a Titan, but I do have a (roughly) 12x20" pinhole camera made out of an old cardboard suitcase. Literally, it's lighter than at least half of my lenses.
    But I don't put it on a tripod, I just put it straight on the ground, like a good suitcase should.
    It has moved in high winds (like 20+ knots), but it's usually fine in normal weather.
    So I know the titan probably needs to be mounted on a tripod, it doesn't look like it's got much of a base on it, but if you collapse the tripod as much as possible it might pick up less wind movement.

Or beanbags. Actually, they'd be great, because you can pack them around it to keep it really sturdy.

8. OP
    OP
    rince

rince Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the answer, I am glad to read that the camera itself is very sturdy.

Gesendet von meinem iPhone mit Tapatalk

9. OP
    OP
    rince

rince Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Excellent advice, thank you. I am sure beanbags would work well.
    12x20? Wow, would love to see some prints this baby produces!

Gesendet von meinem iPhone mit Tapatalk

10. paulbarden

paulbarden Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Hi rince,

I have made my own pinhole cameras up to 8 X 10" (but I don't own the Titan) and I can say this much: large cameras tend to wobble in strong wind no matter who made them or what they're made of. It's simply a matter of having such a large object attached to a tripod at a single, small point; the threaded mount. People have remedied the wobble problem with bungee cords to strap the camera to other points on the tripod - I would certainly consider that as a fix if needed. I have an 8x10 pinhole camera I built out of a wooden humidor, and it does benefit from some extra stabilization in windy situations. I simply take two lengths of masking tape and strap the camera - on both sides - to the tripod for extra stability.

I think the Titan 8x10 is a well made camera and I would not hesitate to buy one if I were in the market for a good 8x10 pinhole camera. But I like to build my own, so it's not something I'm considering ;-) I will say this though: pinhole cameras can be as simple as you want them to be, and so they're not necessarily difficult or complicated to construct. You might want to consider looking at some tutorials online to see how other people made theirs - you may find some of the designs are very easy to emulate and build. Once you've made one, the process isn't nearly as intimidating as you might think!

11. OP
    OP
    rince

rince Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank you so much. For both, your opinion and your encouragement to maybe try and build one by myself. Maybe I should really try and build one myself. I guess I will scour the inter webs tonight and look for easy constructions, which can be accomplished by someone like me with two left hands and all thumbs :wink:

12. sly

sly Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You haven't had any replies yet from someone with a Titan. I've got one. I had tried to make my own cardboard one, but wasn't happy with it. My construction skills are minimal. (If I could knit one, we might get somewhere!)

I wanted a sturdy, cart it into the woods, have it out in all weathers 8x10 pinhole, so I could use the negs for alt printing. I love the Titan. It does all I'd wanted it to. I haven't had a problem with wind. Might be worse in the vertical position, which I don't use often. If I'm concerned I hang my photo vest over the back of the camera. The weight of my light meter, a small camera, water bottle, snacks, holds the camera in place so far.

Here's an image or two:

(there was a url link here which no longer exists)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2015
  13. OP
    OP
    rince

rince Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank you sly! Yes, I also want the camera for larger negatives for alt printing. I tried enlarging my 4x5 negs and print those, but it is just not the same I guess. I love the alt printed images in your gallery.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. jeffreyg

jeffreyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I just finished a morning session making some pt/pd prints from my Ilford Titan 4x5 with excellent results. I have been using it on my old Tiltall tripod with no problems. A very windy day IMOP is not the greatest time for long exposures. Around here there is usually some wind but I have not had problems either. I got the 4x5 because I can also use the negatives in my enlarger. If I want a larger negative for contact printing, I enlarge it on to x-ray duplicating film. However I like the smaller prints and often show the the excess coating when framing.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

16. canuhead

canuhead Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    While I applaud Ilford for making pinhole cameras, for the price of the camera, I'd rather buy a wooden pinhole camera and some film. I also love the beauty of wood vs plastic :wink: ymmv

17. Joe VanCleave

Joe VanCleave Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    For my larger pinhole box cameras I cut a large plate from plywood and mount a 1/4-20 tripod bushing in the underside; attach the plate securely to the tripod and then bungee cord the camera to the plate. Little brass cup hooks, screwed into the edges of the plate, make for a handy way to secure the bungee cords.

~Joe

18. OP
    OP
    rince

rince Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Joe, that sounds like a great solution!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

19. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I am very interested in this camera... I do a lot of still lifes of small objects like attached - soup bones - so you can see the size.

I am not very well versed with pinhole and wondering would this camera work well in short distances with objects close to 1:1 on the film?? Meat Bones.jpg

20. sly

sly Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I applaud anyone who makes their own pinhole cameras. In general terms I prefer natural materials. The lightness of the Titan, for the size of the negative, is a big selling point for me. I have calcified tendonitis in both my shoulders. Undoubtedly caused by hiking into the hills with 15 pounds of camera gear for years. I can't carry the titan and a tripod for very long, and every ounce more of weight makes for less time/more pain. For a carry around camera, I'm down to an Olympus trip - where a Nikon FE used to seem plenty light enough.

Bob, the angle of view is pretty wide. I think to get 1:1 on the neg, you'd have to be so close, you'd be shooting in the shadow of your camera. I shot some pears, and thought they would fill the frame more. Very happy with the photo any way.

21. Pioneer

Pioneer Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I now mount my bigger cameras to Majestic Gear Head with 4 inch or 6 inch bases. Combined with a good tripod it certainly helps with any wobbles.

22. SMBooth

SMBooth Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My biggest concern with the Titan is the tripod mounting at the rear not in the middle where it would help stability.

23. sly

sly Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The camera itself is very light. Most of the weight is the 8x10 film holder, which IS at the back.

24. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Hi Sly

That helps a lot -nice image, for a lot of my work I would be happy with that sizing.. how close was the camera to the pears? I have this lovely light box setup that I can basically
    light the scene and put the lens or camera right in the box.
    I have no worries about stability and wind since I only still life inside, of course I should consider if I am eating a lot of beans the day before:whistling:

bb

25. Pioneer

Pioneer Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Lets see? Beans and a pinhole? I'm not sure that is a good combination no matter where you are Bob! :D

26. sly

sly Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Bob, I'm not at home, so can't check my notes. I think it was about 12 inches.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.