GS645S Getting Sticky. Options?

Discussion in 'Rangefinder Forum' started by Tj_, Feb 23, 2018.

1. Tj_

Tj_ Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hey guys. I'm looking for advice and opinions. I purchased a GS645S on eBay about 6 months ago. I love the size and the quality but the shutter and rf are both a little sticky which has been getting worse.

I bought it for $400. Servicing will cost over half that. I am pretty poor (grad school student on stipend) so here are my options:

1.) I could bite the bullet and send it away to be professionally serviced. ~$250+? I would want the focus checked, RF aligned and shutter cleaned/inspected. I live in California's Bay Area, any recommended repair shops?

2.) Clean it myself. I found repair manuals for sale online. I have a bunch of tools and I've opened up a couple 80's 35mm slr's. I imagine this is much more complex than those though. Especially with the fixed lens. More to screw up. This would cost me $20 for the manual and I do not know how to align the RF or test the focus of the lens but I could clean up the internals pretty well. Risks: I could also brick my camera.

3.) Sell it on eBay for a loss. It looks in great shape. I'd list it for $350 obo and let the buyer know everything I said here. I figure an expert may pay $300 for it and turn it around for $400+. I would buy a camera from a reputable store with a warranty. I save the $250 for servicing and I can get a new-to-me camera which is always fun but I'll be spending much more in the long run for a good camera and accessories for it.

Extra question: Can a camera repairman make an old gs645s shoot like new or is stuff like this really out of their control and inevitable of old cameras. I have only had one camera sent to a shop, my rollei35 for sticky aperture blades. $100 for a cleaning and inspection. 4 months later the blades started sticking again. I don't care, I know my rollei and I know how to make it work but I do not want to go through that for my Fuji. If I spend the money on a repair, will the problems only return a few months later? I fear that once a part becomes finicky, it will always be finicky and I really want my main shooter to be reliable and consistent.

Sorry for all that text. Advice?

2. btaylor

btaylor Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I don’t know your particular camera, but almost all film cameras are quite old now. So they will need service. I wouldn’t risk trying to service it yourself. Find a reputable repair person and fix your camera, you’ll have the best chance of ending up with a reliable unit. You could buy another one with a guarantee, but you won’t necessarily have a reliable camera, just one with a guarantee!

3. mgb74

mgb74 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you want to keep and continue to use the camera, develop a taste for ramen and get it properly serviced. If you don't want to continue to use it and you prefer to buy a NEW (or almost new) camera, sell the one you have as-is. But keep in mind that your properly serviced Fuji will be in better shape than most used ones you'll encounter.

As to problem reoccurring, it can happen (as you've experienced) but less likely with a proper service. I think the most likely cause of your Rollei 35 experience is a) the repair person was not a Rollei expert or b) did a partial job ($100 for a Rollei 35 CLA strikes me as low).