Got a leaky metal developing tank, any good ideas to fix it?

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by rpavich, Dec 22, 2017.

1. rpavich

rpavich Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have a two reel stainless steel tank that has the plastic lid. I don't use it that much and I don't leave it on the tank when not in use. I just used it to develop a couple of 35mm reels and it leaked pretty badly. I ended up wrapping it in a towel to stop the slop but I'd like to figure out how to stop it from happening before I buy a new tank and cap.

Has anyone fixed this issue with their stainless steel tank and plastic lid combo?

2. jim10219

jim10219 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I have a stainless steel tank with a stainless steel lid that leaks pretty bad. I tape the lid down with masking tape. It prevents the leaks, and keeps the lid on tight.

3. OP
    OP
    rpavich

rpavich Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Do you mean you just go around the outside circumference with the tape? (at the tank/cap seam?)

4. David Brown

David Brown Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    One can buy just a new plastic lid. They're pretty universal. That "might" solve the problem.

(Strictly anecdotal) Every metal lid on a metal tank I've ever used has leaked to some extent, but no plastic lid has, UNTIL it gets a split. Those plastic lids, as they age, will become harder and eventually a bit brittle, and they will split from being stretched a bit even time they are put on the tank. You might look to see if yours is split - hard to see sometimes, black on black - then a new one would be in order.

https://www.freestylephoto.biz/161816-Arista-Tank-PVC-Replacement-Top

5. OP
    OP
    rpavich

rpavich Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    BTW: I have determined that my leak is on the small cap, not the main cap.

6. OP
    OP
    rpavich

rpavich Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I will look. I wouldn't mind buying a new plastic lid if that would solve it.

7. David Brown

David Brown Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  8. OP
    OP
    rpavich

rpavich Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  9. David Brown

David Brown Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I hope that takes care of the problem.

Plastic lids have a life expectancy. That's why they are sold separately. :wink:

10. OP
    OP
    rpavich

rpavich Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Me too.

FYI: on the 3rd and 4th roll I switched the small lid and the leaking stopped so I guess there is something wrong with the leaky one but I didn't see a crack or anything.

11. jim10219

jim10219 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    That is exactly what I mean. Just run a string of tape along the seam, maybe two. It will obviously soak into the tape and eventually dissolve the glue, but I’m long done with the developing before that happens.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.