Getting Fiber Based Paper Flat

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by nyoung, Jan 6, 2009.

1. hoffy

hoffy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Cheers. Yeah, I am still well aware of the need to flatten them. I just wish I could get my hands on a drying press!

2. CMoore

CMoore Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I am using Fiber for the very first time. I laid it down (8x10) on a 1/2" piece of plywood and stuck Push-Pins into the corners. I figure, on the back side, the water will soak into the ply...and on the front, the water will return into the air from where it came..... only to return To Earth at a later date.:smile:

3. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    a dry mount press or a few days under a sheet off glass will do it after air drying.

4. jack straw

jack straw Member

Shooter:
    Analog
    What do you guys consider "flat"?

I dry them hanging by one corner on a clothesline, then I have a stack of 6 big pieces of glass from $4 picture frames I picked up at AC Moore, which I lay the prints between once they are dry, with a stack of books on top. It fits 10 8x10 prints. After 24 hours any wrinkling and the severe curling is gone, but there is still a slight curvature to the paper--more or less a similar amount to what the paper has when you take it out of the Ilford box. Should I be leaving them in much longer, or is this flat enough? I haven't tried mounting yet, just got back into this hobby this year, after not having shot a roll of film in 15+ years.

5. Ronald Moravec

Ronald Moravec Member

As someone mentioned, Salthill blotter stack dryer. Mine is a much older clone a neighbor got for me at a garage sale for retiring pro photographer.

Blotter roll, not book, works. In college, I had a 3 foot diameter belt fed drum that was great. For my home a bought a 8 or 10 in diameter one. It ended up in the bin. POS as they say.