Getting Fiber Based Paper Flat

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by nyoung, Jan 6, 2009.

1. hoffy

hoffy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Cheers. Yeah, I am still well aware of the need to flatten them. I just wish I could get my hands on a drying press!

2. CMoore

CMoore Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I am using Fiber for the very first time. I laid it down (8x10) on a 1/2" piece of plywood and stuck Push-Pins into the corners. I figure, on the back side, the water will soak into the ply...and on the front, the water will return into the air from where it came..... only to return To Earth at a later date.:smile:

3. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    a dry mount press or a few days under a sheet off glass will do it after air drying.

4. jack straw

jack straw Member

Shooter:
    Analog
    What do you guys consider "flat"?

I dry them hanging by one corner on a clothesline, then I have a stack of 6 big pieces of glass from $4 picture frames I picked up at AC Moore, which I lay the prints between once they are dry, with a stack of books on top. It fits 10 8x10 prints. After 24 hours any wrinkling and the severe curling is gone, but there is still a slight curvature to the paper--more or less a similar amount to what the paper has when you take it out of the Ilford box. Should I be leaving them in much longer, or is this flat enough? I haven't tried mounting yet, just got back into this hobby this year, after not having shot a roll of film in 15+ years.

5. Ronald Moravec

Ronald Moravec Member

As someone mentioned, Salthill blotter stack dryer. Mine is a much older clone a neighbor got for me at a garage sale for retiring pro photographer.

Blotter roll, not book, works. In college, I had a 3 foot diameter belt fed drum that was great. For my home a bought a 8 or 10 in diameter one. It ended up in the bin. POS as they say.

6. BrendanD

BrendanD Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    'Your wife's clothes' iron...' ? You're going to tell me next that she irons all your clothes for you???

7. mrosenlof

mrosenlof Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    drymount press, 200 degress (F) 2 minutes, done

8. CMoore

CMoore Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    A dry-mount.......
    I suppose it is one of those things you have to weigh, and maybe keep an eye out. Ebay has them, of course, but they ARE heavy to ship.
    But if FB is going to be part of your life, it might be one of the best purchases you make, in the long run.

9. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:

I have several steam irons that have not been used for over a decade.

10. hoffy

hoffy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ok folks. Is a hot laminating press the same thing as a dry mounting press?

11. tezzasmall

tezzasmall Member

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    TOTALLY different beasts!

A laminating press heats up two plastic sheets, between which one puts something to be 'laminated'; ie waterproof, finger proof etc.

A mounting press is VERY heavy and has a temperature dial, for you to set manually for different uses of drying and flattening FB prints between mounting card and of course, to mount photographs onto mounts.

And then there is the Ebay 't-shirt transfer press' (not sure of actual name), that has been asked about on here a few times. This gives you the heat (but not enough of I think?) but lack of a weighted and hot top to it, so may or may not be usable. You would have to search the forum for these threads to see what comments have been made. :smile:

I presume you are looking for something to mount prints with? BTW I was lucky and got one at a good price on ebay and was, when it arrived, surprised that it was delivered, as it felt like it weighed a ton or so!!!! And the wrapping to stop any damage (mostly to other items I would think) took me about an hour to take off completely, so no I won't be selling it in the near future! :smile:

Terry S

12. hoffy

hoffy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I saw a laminating press on gumtree and it looked kinda like what I was expecting a mounting press looks like.

13. RalphLambrecht

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Here is one way to get them perfectly flat every time:
    1. place the air-dried print into the dry-mount press for a minute
    2.place under a sheet of glass and let it cool for an hour or so
    3. flat and will stay flat unless there are humidity changes.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. tezzasmall

tezzasmall Member

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    Hopefully this will work.

This is a photo mounting press:

[​IMG]

And this is a t-shirt mounting press:

[​IMG]

Yes, there are some similarities but the photo one will be a lot heavier in build and (probably) has a higher temperature available.

Terry S

16. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That Seal press illustrated in Terry's post is a photo dry mount press.
    This $100.00 eBay listing is a T-Shirt heat press:

[​IMG]

17. hoffy

hoffy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    OK, thanks. Looks like I have a better chance in finding Hens Teeth then a Photo Mounting press anywhere near where I live!

18. hoffy

hoffy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    New post time - I have been flattening some prints for the last 4 days between some matt board with books sitting on top.

While the prints sit flat, the edges are wavey. Will the wave eventually flatten out?

19. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    When matted and framed.

20. Patrick Robert James

Patrick Robert James Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    Wavy edges are a pain to deal with. I've resorted to pulling the prints over the edge of a table which sometimes helps if you target the tension in the right spot. That also helps if the print is curled towards the emulsion side and you want it flat which is most of the time. I figure if it was a good enough method for Brett Weston.....

21. adelorenzo

adelorenzo Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I can never get the wavy edges flat, I print with enough border on the paper that I can trim 0.5-1 inches off the print after I flatten it in a dry mount press. Or else I just dry mount the print.

22. faberryman

faberryman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I dry face down on screens and don't get wavy edges. I just flatten in a dry mount press, and mount with corners and an over mat.

23. jim10219

jim10219 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I use pants hangers. Those plastic hangers that fancy pants come on. I hang print from one, and then put a second one on the bottom for weight. That keeps the paper from curling up on itself too much. It will still have some waviness to it, so after it dries, I throw them in the bottom of my closet underneath a bunch of junk in between two sheets of plate glass that I use for emulsion coating. After a few days, they're mostly flat with just a touch of wave. Flat enough that when I mat and frame them, they're perfectly flat. Best of all, it's takes very little effort and doesn't require a dry mount press. Storage space is at a premium for me right now.

24. hoffy

hoffy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    OK, thanks folks. I'll keep the current print under the weight for a little while longer. It would be nice if I could get a bit more wave out, because I do suspect that it would still look a bit wavey on a mount.

25. RalphLambrecht

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    only if the prints are entirely between the mat boards.

26. mvs

mvs Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    well, I dry mine on home made screens, face down and then put them between mats (made from 13x24 acid free blot paper bought at Blick) and then ... I power on my trusted Black&Decker and iron little suckers (face down) till they scream no more. After that, they are weighted with a heavy metal plate or a fine selection of totally useless encyclopedias until I'm ready to slip them between the mat boards. It works just as good as using the press which I do not have.