Members
Latest member
JKFTL
Recent bookmarks
Shooter
Medium Format
Could these filter be used on a camera?

Dead Link Removed

I am thinking of cutting them to the size I need and making a holder for them. Would the quality be ok for use on a lens or are the only usable on a light/strobe.

Mike Wilde

Shooter
Multi Format
they are likely a thicker acetate base then you want. Look at buying a Lee or Rosco designer swatch book. They are about $25, and will have over 100 gels about 3" x 5" that are meant as samples for selecting the 30x36 sheets for theatre lighting use, but are on a base that is only slightly worse than original wratten meant to shoot though gels.

gorbas

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm Pan
Hi, those filters are not with right optical quality. They are maybe OK, but you need to test them first. You should look for Kodak Wratten or Lee gelatin camera filters.
Those filters are very cheap, I bought bunch of them in 2x2" original size for 1$ each. I use yellow #8 "permanently" glued to my taking lens with very unusual size/shape.
Goran

rwboyer

Shooter
Medium Format
Hi, those filters are not with right optical quality. They are maybe OK, but you need to test them first. You should look for Kodak Wratten or Lee gelatin camera filters.
Those filters are very cheap, I bought bunch of them in 2x2" original size for 1$ each. I use yellow #8 "permanently" glued to my taking lens with very unusual size/shape.
Goran

Just one tiny little point - you may have somehow got lee or kodak gelatin cheaply but this is not usually the case. For what they are they are horrifically expensive if they are optical (meant for taking a picture through). The ones that are made for lighting are not the same thing.

RB

OP
OP
Shooter
Medium Format
Thanks for the answers. I guess I will need to go ahead and get the Cokin x-pro filters. I'd hate to put something that will change the quality of the lens on there. Are the Lee filters noticably better than the Cokin?

Q.G.

Shooter
Medium Format
In my experience, yes, the Lee resin (and polyester) camera filters certainly are better than Cokin filters.
In fact, most filters are better than Cokin.
So i wouldn't spend a penny on Cokin filters.

Other people will disagree though. :wink:

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom