Gardeners, architects, hunters and fisher(wo)men....

Malibu

A
Malibu

Rockwood Park-4

A
Rockwood Park-4

Enamored

A
Enamored

Kea'au Bike Flower

A
Kea'au Bike Flower

Recent Classifieds

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gigidamico
Recent bookmarks
OP
OP
Daniela

Daniela

Shooter
Multi Format
I usually refer to the two types of photographers as hunters and gatherers. That way I don't have to deal with that fisherpersons nonesense.
😄 Whatever works for you! I like the word gatherer better too.

OP
OP
Daniela

Daniela

Shooter
Multi Format
Not photography-related, but when it came to writing, I always told my students that I saw two archetypical (academic) writers: Mozart and Beethoven. I think I got the idea somewhere else, but admit I forgot where or how exactly. Must have been years ago...The Mozart type just starts writing and brilliant prose spouts forth. The Beethoven sits down and makes many drafts, rearranges everything, goes through severe depression and ultimately comes up with a monumental work (which he can't hear himself, because he's gone deaf in the process). I also explained to them that the Mozarts were kind of rare and if you don't happen to be one, all you can do is try to be a decent Beethoven.

It's an extremely tricky and unscientific taxonomy, of course, but I always found it kind of funny.

It is funny and it gets the point made. Wonderful! :smile:

Ernst-Jan

Shooter
Medium Format
Knowest thou not that
I see simularities with the German grammar.
In German it would be "wusstest du nicht das...."
"est" at the end for 2nd person singular.
I am not a linguist at all but I like to see this simularities.

sasah zib

Shooter
Hybrid
further afield but of today:
shiny canvases flooded with black – or what he described as outrenoir or “beyond black”. With specially prepared brushes, palette knives and domestic implements, Soulages created complex textures, combining areas of smoothness and roughness and digging deep lines into the thick, layered paint.

For Soulages the tactile values in his paintings, as well as his related abstract bronze reliefs, were not as important as the ways in which the surfaces absorbed or reflected light. ...for him noir was not merely an accessory. He told the story that as a child of six he was found drawing thick lines with a brush and black ink. When asked what he was making, he replied: “Snow.”
much closer to field with a useful concept (of community of practice)
In his work, Aaron Siskind explores the importance of friendship between individuals as well as the larger concept of communication within the artistic community.

As a result of his personal friendship with and aesthetic influence from Franz Kline, Siskind uses media such as broken walls and flaking plaster to achieve similar effects on film to those Kline achieved in paint.

https://smartmuseum.uchicago.edu/ab...hs-by-aaron-siskind-in-homage-to-franz-kline/
I am regularly reminded that interesting people solve interesting matters by first addressing what interests them.

OP
OP
Daniela

Daniela

Shooter
Multi Format
I am regularly reminded that interesting people solve interesting matters by first addressing what interests them.
And that's why it's so important to learn about each others' processes, it's enriching. When you look and try to understand someone's work, you open a window into a new world.

Sirius Glass

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Most of the time photography is spontaneous for me, but there are times I will plan out a photograph.

Vaughn

Subscriber
Shooter
Large Format
Not photography-related, but when it came to writing, I always told my students that I saw two archetypical (academic) writers: Mozart and Beethoven. I think I got the idea somewhere else, but admit I forgot where or how exactly. Must have been years ago...The Mozart type just starts writing and brilliant prose spouts forth. The Beethoven sits down and makes many drafts, rearranges everything, goes through severe depression and ultimately comes up with a monumental work (which he can't hear himself, because he's gone deaf in the process). I also explained to them that the Mozarts were kind of rare and if you don't happen to be one, all you can do is try to be a decent Beethoven.

It's an extremely tricky and unscientific taxonomy, of course, but I always found it kind of funny.

Another way of looking at genius is the quick and the slow. The quick rise out of the crowd like a firework of unthinkable brilliance, while the slow gather experience, craft, and meaning...perhaps not reconized widely in their lifetime. Both are equally important, though the quick might grab the attention.

That gives me some hope... 😎

Edit to add: Above 90% of my photographing is wandering, seeing what the light will present to my attention. As I drive the 50 miles north into the redwoods, the discussion with myself is where am I going to park and start my day of wandering...same in Death Valley or Yosemite. I pick a junction of light and landscape to explore. It helps when such decisions are backed by years of experience with a particular landscape and light...and a great challenge when one works beyond that experience (such as in Chile).

5x7 pt/pd

Attachments

• Chile_Boat_Pt.jpg
    Chile_Boat_Pt.jpg
    734.2 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

faberryman

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Another way of looking at genius is the quick and the slow. The quick rise out of the crowd like a firework of unthinkable brilliance, while the slow gather experience, craft, and meaning...perhaps not reconized widely in their lifetime. Both are equally important, though the quick might grab the attention.

Sounds like one of those stories my kindergarten teacher probably told my mother.

OP
OP
Daniela

Daniela

Shooter
Multi Format

The quick and the slow! Yet another way of considering the many aspects to an artist's approach. Thanks for bringing forward the concept of meaning.

Above 90% of my photographing is wandering, seeing what the light will present to my attention.
What a lovely way to put it. I often think in terms of looking for and catching the right light. The way you put it speaks of observing and working with, instead.

Vaughn

Subscriber
Shooter
Large Format
Thank you. Some of it is being open to seeing the unimagined.

5x7 Carbon print

Attachments

• RedwoodCathedralPCRSP.jpg
    RedwoodCathedralPCRSP.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 22
Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom