Fuji film processor question

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by Holnbals, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Holnbals

Holnbals Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have a Fuji FP230B C-41 film processor and a pallet of chemicals that I picked up cheep years ago and thought about firing it up. I have a friend who has run one in the past and will teach me the process. The question I have is how long the chemicals will last, mixed in the machine. My friend told me that they changed their chemicals every three months regardless but wasn't sure about its maximum life. I now that there are a lot of variables that will influence the pot life, inactivity might be the biggest, and it may not be worth my time if it is to short ,but it is setting here collecting dust and it might be fun.
    Thanks,

2. bob100684

bob100684 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    the chemicals are replenished, so with enough throughput, indefinitely. I'd think maybe a week though if it was just sitting around with mixed chems in it.

3. PHOTOTONE

PHOTOTONE Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    A replenished line only stays "in-control" if a certain minimum number of rolls is processed "per day". Any other situation will be questionable. A week between runs is not enough to keep the chemistry from degrading. Now if it is a manual dip-n-dunk hand process, certain compensations can be made, such as extending the time in chemicals, however a machine process with a fixed time in each bath has to have chemicals that fall within certain activity guidelines.

4. bob100684

bob100684 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    the 230 is an older fuji processor with manually mixed chemicals. Starter/concentrate/replenisher solution can be added to balance issues. Control strips are a must.

5. bob100684

bob100684 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    also, you'll need circulation filters, leader cards, a slpincing block will help you immensly, and the old chems are probably dead.

6. tiberiustibz

tiberiustibz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Stored with a lid of somesort to prevent oxidation the chemicals will last quite a while. The necessary throughput depends on the tank size.

To put it simply, you would have to be running a lot of film to justify firing a beast like that up. See if you can run film for your photo friends.

7. bob100684

bob100684 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    with some of the newer fuji models, the first two digits represent approx the number of rolls it can do in an hour, and the last one is a place holder, ex: the 363 can do 36 rolls an hour and the 563 can do 56. Somewhere, I was informed that the max hourly total is the minimum required daily throughput.

8. OP
    OP
    Holnbals

Holnbals Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    My film usage may be to low to make it worth my time unless I save up my exposed film and process them all at once, even then the benefit would be small. IF the pot life was months of inactivity not weeks that would be a different story. I have all the accessories except test strips (they are available) so it could be done. Now that I think about it all of my so-called friends shoot digital, I may have to rethink there friendship status!
    Thanks for taking the time to answer my question.

9. bob100684

bob100684 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Realistically, setting one up isn't worth the time/effort/expense in control strips and chems for just small batches of film.