free for any small donation to APUG Leitz Focomat 35 enlarger

Discussion in '[Classifieds] All Proceeds to PHOTRIO' started by samcomet, Feb 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. samcomet

samcomet Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Groups:
    free for any small donation to APUG Leitz Focomat V35 enlarger

I have too many enlargers!!!!! Leitz Focomat V35 with Companion-S 50mm lens needs to find a new home or for parts. The 240v. - 12v. transformer is not working but it is easily replaced/repaired/worked around. Neg carrier, VC head and globe in fine condition. Auto focussing mech in fine condition. Baseboard (partially) painted black by previous owner. Willing to donate for any small fee to APUG. Pick up only for obvious reasons inner west, Sydney, Australia. Cheers, Sam :smile:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2015
  2. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    And that is a generous offer, I hope someone down there takes you up on it.

3. TheToadMen

TheToadMen Member

Shooter:
    Pinhole
  4. OP
    OP
    samcomet

samcomet Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Groups:
    Thank you both John and Bert. No one has answered so I guess that it might have to go to the eBay ....... pity I had hoped to generate some donation to APUG. Cheers! Sam

5. Dr Croubie

Dr Croubie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Damn. You driving past SA any time soon?

6. OP
    OP
    samcomet

samcomet Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Groups:
    Sorry Dr. C!!! I did a ring around of various friends who DO go to Adelaide from time to time, but none are travelling there in the near or mid future..........:sad: Do you have and friends who are making this trip? Cheers, Sam

7. Dr Croubie

Dr Croubie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nah, it's far enough that anyone who comes and goes does so by plane.
    I don't really need a 35mm enlarger (I've got a 6x7), but I'd just hate to see something this good go to waste...

(I do have a friend who works in sydney doing audio for movies and such, I might ask if any of his movie friends are also into stills though)

8. TheToadMen

TheToadMen Member

Shooter:
    Pinhole
  9. CropDusterMan

CropDusterMan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just got one yesterday...thing is insanely awesome. Try finding any info on it is tough though. Mine came with a
    Focometer 2 system....simply trying to figure out the wire hook up...no success. There is NOTHING out there on the web for
    the Focometer 2!

10. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A Companion lens will always be a good comrade...

(I like that more than the original name.)

11. OP
    OP
    samcomet

samcomet Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Groups:
    @ AgX - I'm with you on that one!!!

@ CropDusterMan - if I find an info about the FocoMeter 2 I'll let you know. I found a scanned instruction book on the V35 and a fairly comprehensive website detailing various aspects of the enlarger by a simple search on "you know where" ........ I just don't have the URL to hand at the moment.....

@ Bert in The Netherlands - thanks mate I would give that a go but I gave up social media a long time ago (yes I know APUG IS possibly social media but I'm a grumpy old man!!!). ..... cheers all :D

12. tokam

tokam Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I hope I'm not too late but I'll take the Focomat and donate to APUG. I buy most of my equipment through these forums. My old DIA enlarger is well past it now although I will save the El Nikkor 50mm.

Please PM me and we'll arrange a time for pickup and a suitable donation for APUG.

Cheers, Martin

13. CropDusterMan

CropDusterMan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have been tinkering with my FOCOMAT V35 a bit...what an amazing piece of hardware.

I was using a second party timer...unit works fine, but it went through two bulbs in a
    day...anyone have an idea on that? Is a voltage regulator needed or something? I live
    in California, and as far as I know, the electricity in my house is a pretty constant
    thing.

By the way OP, donating your proceeds to APUG from the enlarger sale is a cool thing.

Best,
    JAson

14. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Cropduster,
    The timer shouldn't have anything to do with bulb failure. it's just an on/off switch. I've never had a problem with bulbs, halogen or incandescent. This is just a SWAG on my part.

The V35 may have corrosion in the lamp socket that wasn't uncommon. When they changed from the older lamp(discontinued) they also had to change the socket itself and I believe the newer one was a slightly different(smaller?) size to accept the new lamp.

Can you hook up a voltmeter to the socket and transformer in turn check the voltage? It may be a problem with a voltage surge from the transformer.

15. CropDusterMan

CropDusterMan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hey John,
    Thanks for the input...APUG member "youngrichard" emailed mt a pdf of the instruction manual, and I see
    that Leica recommends the use of a voltage regulator in between the Focometer 2 and the enlarger unit.
    Apparently, the Focometer 2 has a voltage regulator built in, but Leica still recommends the use of a voltage
    reg. between it and the enlarger...? Strange.

I did see some corrosion (white powdery) on the pin/socket area of the bulb...I think it needs a little more investigation.
    I'm going to throw a meter on it today.

Best,
    Jason

16. OP
    OP
    samcomet

samcomet Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Groups:
    Hey Jason Cropdusterman, just my two cents here but corrosion on the lamp base or lamp holder is an effective insulator of sorts and thereby increase the electrical resistance which increases the amperage drawn to do the same job of illuminating the globe. The upshot is increased heat at the point of contact between globe and base and sometimes arcing. The increasing heat on the envelope of the globe sometimes allows the cement to fail and let in some atmosphere which effectively kills the filament. Sorry to be so technical here. A bit of emory or fine sandpaper will remedy this. This may help if it's a corrosion issue. I have also found over the years using MR16 (lamp type) globes that sometime if you can get to it "pinching" the sheath that holds the lamps contacts in the socket helps with electrical conductivity .............. although the Germans by in large have some of the finest design minds in that department.

Oh and thanks for the thumbs up on my donation in the OP.

Cheers and good luck,
    sam

17. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Increased resistance will not make the current increase.
    Arcing however will.

18. OP
    OP
    samcomet

samcomet Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Groups:
    of course, what was I thinking???? :errm: Pure resistance won't, however arcing is increased resistance at the point of ionisation - and the arcing itself becomes part of the increased heat factor added to the increased current

19. OP
    OP
    samcomet

samcomet Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Groups:
    Thanks all I found a home for my enlarger! @Burt dank u vell mijn herr!

20. TheToadMen

TheToadMen Member

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    Good to hear, you're welcome!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.