For some, it may be counter productive to chase photographic technical perfection.

Malibu

A
Malibu

Rockwood Park-4

A
Rockwood Park-4

Enamored

A
Enamored

Kea'au Bike Flower

A
Kea'au Bike Flower

Recent Classifieds

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gigidamico
Recent bookmarks

Sirius Glass

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I never have had anything against Eric, though I know some here expressed less than favourable opinions on his demeanour (if that is possible in a text universe like this) and attitude.
I also seem to remember he kind of stormed off slamming the door, burning a few bridges or something.
Might be mistaken though.
And again none of my business really.

Yes, that is the huff I was talking about.

MattKing

Shooter
Multi Format
I've actually met Eric in person, and am glad to see his name again opposite posts.

MattKing

Shooter
Multi Format

Don Heisz

Shooter
35mm RF
@MattKing This is a perfect opportunity to exercise that moderator ability to delete all those totally irrelevant comments about whoever being back.

Including this one.

Helge

Shooter
Medium Format
@MattKing This is a perfect opportunity to exercise that moderator ability to delete all those totally irrelevant comments about whoever being back.

Including this one.

Are you really complaining? Or are you complaining on behalf of someone else?

Don Heisz

Shooter
35mm RF
What is this thread about? Is it a discussion or some bizarre one-sided welcome back party? Since comments in actual discussions get deleted willy-nilly, why should a completely irrelevant and totally distracting sidebar be allowed to stay here - other than the moderator actually is partaking of it?

Sirius Glass

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Are you really complaining? Or are you complaining on behalf of someone else?

Have you established your need to know?

flavio81

Shooter
Medium Format

Including this one.

DON HEISZ IS BACK!!

busrider

Shooter
Hybrid
A lot is (falsely) attributed to Churchill. Do we know where he said it? I see it a lot on-line, but no one I found cites where he actually said it.

I checked the International Churchill Society, and the quotation doesn't appear.

The closest I found is: "The maxim ‘Nothing avails but perfection’ may be spelt shorter: ‘Paralysis.’" in The Second World War vol. 4

I suspect it is a spin on the essential phrase "perfection is the enemy of the good." And that is also wrongly attributed--usually to Plato (which is especially nuts, because Plato believed in perfection!).
And here it goes back beyond Voltaire, but maybe not much further:

Not sure why it matters if he actually said it or if it was mistakenly attributed to him, or if it is based on Plato or Voltaire. TBH I heard it was attributed to Zeus. Whoever said it was telling the truth. I find It is better spending time doing something else, equally as futile.

MattKing

Shooter
Multi Format

Including this one.

I could, but that would mean I was seeking technical perfection in a thread, and that may be counter productive when it comes to questions of ethics and philosophy.😉
I hereby promise to get back on topic, and ask that others do the same.
And to that end, I find that if the technical supports the result one seeks, and technical failures impede achieving that, then the search for technical improvement is worthwhile.
Striving for perfection is fine, as long as it leads to achieving excellence, and that result is acceptable.

awty

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Agree. I had my revelation nearly 20-years ago when a collector of Ansel Adams’ work allowed The University of Florida to display his collection. Included were some of Adams’ earliest works. These prints were generally 8x10 or smaller and were delicately printed. They were far, far different from the huge, contrasty prints he made later in his career - even with the same negative.

I'm sure he thought both versions were his best prints at the time he made them. Which is perfection?

He would of learned over time what sells and what doesn't. He was professional photographer and had to make money.

bags27

Shooter
Medium Format
Not sure why it matters if he actually said it or if it was mistakenly attributed to him, or if it is based on Plato or Voltaire. TBH I heard it was attributed to Zeus. Whoever said it was telling the truth. I find It is better spending time doing something else, equally as futile.

This is thread drift, and I apologize for that.

I didn't mean to diminish what you wrote, and I can see where my thoughts my have done that. For that, I apologize.

But if it's a truth, it stands on its own without authorial attribution. I can certainly agree to that. But when people associate it with (say) Churchill, it legitimizes it differently. Putting a "quotation" with a known figure empowers that quotation.

I'm only appealing to us not to pull things off the web uncritically--something many of us (certainly I) do.

Last edited:

Sirius Glass

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
The technical part of photography is pretty much automatic for me, I spend my time and effort on the composition, accurate framing and catching the right or best moment.

I spend a lot of effort to find the perfect compositions.

Cholentpot

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
I'm enjoying the old school ADD of this thread. Let 'er rip I say!

busrider

Shooter
Hybrid
This is thread drift, and I apologize for that.

BAGS27, the website I removed it from said exactly where it was from, I should have footnoted it but since i didn't.

is this better?

“Perfection is the enemy of progress.” - maybe Winston Churchill maybe someone else

Is it possible to quantify perfection, does perfection exist ? I don't think it does.

snusmumriken

Shooter
35mm
BAGS27, the website I removed it from said exactly where it was from, I should have footnoted it but since i didn't.

is this better?

“Perfection is the enemy of progress.” - maybe Winston Churchill maybe someone else

Google says it was indeed Churchill, 11 October 1952 in a speech to the Conservative Party Conference.

Surely perfection is a point of aim, not a measurable quality?

Cholentpot

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
Was super interesting, then I felt like I was back in highschool, but now maybe it can get back on track 🤔

Thread isn't perfect but maybe we shouldn't be looking for that...

busrider

Shooter
Hybrid
Google says it was indeed Churchill, 11 October 1952 in a speech to the Conservative Party Conference.

Surely perfection is a point of aim, not a measurable quality?

Thanks, it are you sure google isn’t full of crap, google isn’t Perfect

I think the perfect transport is a Trabant absolute perfection!. Perfect camera is an Argus C3, Is my perfect yours ? Perfection is a shapeshifter no point in striving for imaginary ideals that are not universal.

Cholentpot

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
Thanks, it are you sure google isn’t full of crap, google isn’t Perfect

I think the perfect transport is a Trabant absolute perfection!. Perfect camera is an Argus C3, Is my perfect yours ? Perfection is a shapeshifter no point in striving for imaginary ideals that are not universal.

C3 is perfect modern made in USA camera. If you disagree I'll throw one at you.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom