Focus or camera shake?

Discussion in 'Exposure Discussion' started by OptiKen, Nov 5, 2018.

1. OptiKen

OptiKen Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    How do you tell the difference on a print or negative between pictures that suffer from mild camera shake or one with off focus?

2. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    Out of focus can be regional in the photograph while camera shake will be universal, covering the whole frame.

3. REAndy

REAndy Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    of course depending on the length of the exposure, I can usually tell if the lack of sharpness is "one directional". I've got bad eyes, hard for me to focus, my picts when out of focus, details are "evenly fuzzy". My wife doesn't have the steadiest hands any more, but she's got excellent eyesight and when she has a photo that lacks sharpness, objects have a "trail"

4. Doremus Scudder

Doremus Scudder Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Yes, a trail or a kind of double image or directional blur all indicate camera movement. Out-of-focus points are spread circles. I guess some circular kind of camera movement could approximate out-of-focus, but usually it doesn't. A good 10x loupe should tell the tale.

Best,

Doremus

5. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Similar to differentiation between an over developed and over exposed negative. It can be hard to tell even for those with experience. Out of focus images might have something in focus that is not the main subject matter, but if the focal point was beyond infinity, and there are no sharp edges in the subject, it may be impossible to know.

6. REAndy

REAndy Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good Point!

7. DonJ

DonJ Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Unfortunately for some of us, it's sometimes both.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.