Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
archaeoguy13
Recent bookmarks
Shooter
35mm
I just picked up a Canon iii for $30 and it's got a bunch of holes in the shutter curtain (including one where some jack@$$ dropped his screwdriver right through it while disassembling...) but it's not totally mangled. I heard Joe Van Cleve talk about how his Zorki shutter had been painted and that has me thinking about using flex seal on this one. I have some rubber cement thinner and mineral spirits which I was going to experiment with thinning it out since that stuff seems so thick. I wonder if anyone has any insight on this or is there a better solution (i.e. one that doesn't involve taking it apart any further to replace the actual curtain material).

awty

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
You can fix minor holes, anything as severe as a screw driver hole will need the curtains replaced.

If you are going to attempt it you should at least remove the outer case to get better access. Also makes it easier to remove the rubber when it fails.

mshchem

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
I would not attempt this for fear of making a big mess. However, in the bold spirit of curiosity, keep us updated. I would use the "fastest" lowest boiling point solvent for thinner, i.e. xylene or lacquer thinner, be careful as that stuff is like a bomb.

OP
OP
Shooter
35mm
You can fix minor holes, anything as severe as a screw driver hole will need the curtains replaced.

If you are going to attempt it you should at least remove the outer case to get better access. Also makes it easier to remove the rubber when it fails.

Keep in mind, I was disassembling a small camera. The hole from the screwdriver is a minor hole.

OP
OP
Shooter
35mm
I would not attempt this for fear of making a big mess. However, in the bold spirit of curiosity, keep us updated. I would use the "fastest" lowest boiling point solvent for thinner, i.e. xylene or lacquer thinner, be careful as that stuff is like a bomb.

I'm happy to fling myself into the front lines for fellow camera-curious folks.

I've just done some test swatches on a paper towel with an "art" type paintbrush. One swatch thinned about 50%(with mineral spirits because that's what is suggested for cleanup), one at normal strength applied lightly, one at normal strength applied quite thick. I will wait the recommended 24 hours to see what these tests look and feel like.

I'm not sure yet if I will try to coat the hole curtain or just spot the holes.

mshchem

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
I'm happy to fling myself into the front lines for fellow camera-curious folks.

I've just done some test swatches on a paper towel with an "art" type paintbrush. One swatch thinned about 50%(with mineral spirits because that's what is suggested for cleanup), one at normal strength applied lightly, one at normal strength applied quite thick. I will wait the recommended 24 hours to see what these tests look and feel like.

I'm not sure yet if I will try to coat the hole curtain or just spot the holes.

Good call to follow instructions! I used some of this stuff to coat some cloth for some hobby thing. IIRC the stuff dries smooth not tacky.

OP
OP
Shooter
35mm
What stuff? "Flex Seal"?

It's a brand of rubberized "paint" in the US. It's quite popular lately because of their massive marketing but "liquid rubber" things have been around for decades. I think it has mostly been used to coat the undersides of motor vehicles especially up north here where they put a lot of salt on the roads in winter to help the car not get rusty.

randyB

Shooter
Multi Format
Good luck with this, you might have better luck than I did using "Flexseal". I tried using the stuff to coat cloth to make thin bellows material for a project, smoothed the cloth out nice and flat and sprayed the black Flexseal evenly and then went in the house for the night. Next morning I found the cloth shriveled up like fried bacon, not flexible at all and not even close to light tight. I abandoned the idea of using Flexseal. For shutter pin holes I've used liquid electrical tape or T-shirt paint, making sure they dry for 24-48 hours.

momus

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
On my one (unsuccessful) attempt at shutter repair, I found that whatever you use to patch the shutter with, make sure not to glob it on too thickly. I managed to get the holes patched, but the patched areas interfered w/ the other shutter curtain when the shutter was fired. Once my patched areas dried, it wasn't possible to trim them down.

thuggins

Shooter
Multi Format
You may also try liquid electrical tape.

Do not use liquid electrical tape! That experiment ruined a salvagable bellows. After many years and many experiments the best solution is Tulip fabric paint, Basic Black. Let it dry for several days and apply a very light dusting of talcum powder. Light tight, flexible and gumming up.

DREW WILEY

Shooter
8x10 Format
I once successfully repaired a small hole in a black fabric shutter curtain on an early Pentax with black real silicone RTV sealant. It lasted longer than the shutter gears themselves. "Flex Seal" is a DIY roof leak gorp made to be troweled on thick. And liquid electrical tape is a vinyl compound.

But in this case, it sounds like the camera might deserve a funeral instead.

DREW WILEY

Shooter
8x10 Format
Sorry to hear about that. Take your time to emotionally heal. That's more important than any of this photo stuff.

beemermark

Subscriber
Shooter
4x5 Format
Liquid electrical tape has been used for eons by both amateur and professionals to repair minor holes in shutters and bellows. Why the urge to experiment?

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom