Members
Latest member
ordunha
Recent bookmarks

nickandre

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
Hey all! I really wanted a Pentax Auto 110 Super (I have the best SLR in the world and figured I should also own the worst).

I had a functional non-super and the service manual for the non-super but seem to have managed to fix it up.

The symptom was that the shutter would never cock properly -- if you wound the camera the shutter would open and close (which differed from the regular 110 which of course would not open the shutter on film wind). Some shops refused to touch the 110 for probably obvious reasons so I figured I'd have a go at it myself.

I was able to identify the shutter cocking mechanism in both cameras and it was clear the latter shutter mechanism wasn't catching for some reason. The arm that appears to be attached in some fashion to the shutter is annotated here with a handy arrow:
IMG_1800.jpg
The lever moves in the "down" direction to cock the shutter.

On a hunch a sprayed some electrical contact cleaner in the area, let it dry, and used a small screwdriver to manually press the lever towards the cocked position where it clicked. After that I was able to properly cock and fire the shutter with the mechanism.

Unclear how long it will stay working but very cool to have a functional Super version.

Here are some frame scans I've taken:
pnw3-110-01_06.jpg pnw3-110-03_01.jpg pnw3-110-01_08.jpg

Side note: if anyone has a good method for punching evenly spaced holes in film, it would be cool to try Ektar in one of these. The other bummer is that the film comes from the factory with these pre-burned "frame areas" which fog the extra visible area on the periphery. We need maximum fidelity of course.

Cholentpot

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
Hey all! I really wanted a Pentax Auto 110 Super (I have the best SLR in the world and figured I should also own the worst).

I had a functional non-super and the service manual for the non-super but seem to have managed to fix it up.

The symptom was that the shutter would never cock properly -- if you wound the camera the shutter would open and close (which differed from the regular 110 which of course would not open the shutter on film wind). Some shops refused to touch the 110 for probably obvious reasons so I figured I'd have a go at it myself.

I was able to identify the shutter cocking mechanism in both cameras and it was clear the latter shutter mechanism wasn't catching for some reason. The arm that appears to be attached in some fashion to the shutter is annotated here with a handy arrow:
View attachment 300801
The lever moves in the "down" direction to cock the shutter.

On a hunch a sprayed some electrical contact cleaner in the area, let it dry, and used a small screwdriver to manually press the lever towards the cocked position where it clicked. After that I was able to properly cock and fire the shutter with the mechanism.

Unclear how long it will stay working but very cool to have a functional Super version.

Here are some frame scans I've taken:
View attachment 300805 View attachment 300806 View attachment 300807

Side note: if anyone has a good method for punching evenly spaced holes in film, it would be cool to try Ektar in one of these. The other bummer is that the film comes from the factory with these pre-burned "frame areas" which fog the extra visible area on the periphery. We need maximum fidelity of course.

Worst? WORST? Because of that I'm not going to tell you that you don't need perfs and can roll any film you'd like in there if you slit it down to size.

Huss

Shooter
Multi Format

The Pentax Auto 110 is better than any Zenit SLRs I owned.

p.s nice to see another Leica R9 user here!

OP
OP
nickandre

nickandre

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
Worst? WORST? Because of that I'm not going to tell you that you don't need perfs and can roll any film you'd like in there if you slit it down to size.
Ok it's a very fun SLR :smile:

My Regular 110 seems to require perfs (since it's a two stroke cocking mechanism) but actually now that you mention it the 110 Super doesn't seem to require holes. If I wind the 110 regular without film in it the shutter never fully cocks.

Cholentpot

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
Ok it's a very fun SLR :smile:

My Regular 110 seems to require perfs (since it's a two stroke cocking mechanism) but actually now that you mention it the 110 Super doesn't seem to require holes. If I wind the 110 regular without film in it the shutter never fully cocks.

My Auto 110 runs fine without perfs. Who know how many minor differences in different cameras there are.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom