First pinhole camera, 2018

Discussion in 'Pinhole Photography' started by elmartinj, Feb 7, 2018.

1. elmartinj

elmartinj Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    So I think I really really really want to get into pinhole. I think I'd rather go with a 120 film (I have no gear for developing LF). I wanted some recommendations on pinhole cameras and formats. I'm having a hard time for making my mind on 6x7, 6x6, or 6x9. I'd want something that's not that bulky, but I'm hearing all options. I also don't know much about focal distances in pinhole photography what's convenient and what's not. Thanks in advance! (Budget's not a huge issue, but I'd rather buy something that's not that expensive)

2. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
  4. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
  5. NedL

NedL Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    I know people think of the "8x10 paper in a Quaker Oat can" as something kids do, but a big pinhole paper negative is very cool and you can contact print them directly. I started with paper and liked it so much that I never moved on (.... well, instant film is fun too! ). It's inexpensive too.
    Dead Link Removed.

6. Theo Sulphate

Theo Sulphate Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My ZeroImage 2000 6x6 with my own case and tripod. Some models allow filters and cable releases. They have a web site,

http://www.zeroimage.com/

IMAG6228-1.jpg

7. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    Then get the Zero Image 69 multiformat pinhole camera that has internal 'slats' to set the format to all of the sizes you specify, in addition to 6x4.5. Last October I added a third of this model to my collection! They are beautifully made.
    F/length is 40mm @f250 (f235 when metering). US$242 for the shutter-optioned model which will accommodate a cable release.

http://zeroimage.com/Pinhole_Camera_69_2015.html

8. OP
    OP
    elmartinj

elmartinj Member

Shooter:
    35mm

9. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    if you have an existing 35mm or MF SLR, you can get into pinhole by sacrificing a camera body cover and drill the pinhole into it; then, use it as a lens; probably the lowest-cost option and you get a perfect film container for free; not a bad way to get started. However, it's best to use the largest film format you can for pinhole, since, you will likely only make contact prints from it, which, by the way, are surprisingly detailed and sharp when done right. I typically get a resolution of 7 lp/mm from my 4x5 pinhole.

10. jeffreyg

jeffreyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    + one on the larger format. You can tray develop the film. I have the Ilford Titan 4x5 and generally make platinum/palladium contact prints from the negatives with very nice results.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

11. baachitraka

baachitraka Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  12. paulbarden

paulbarden Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Another vote for the Zero Image 69 multi-format: yougetto choosethe aspect ratio you want to use,and it offers the flexibility of roll film, so you can shoot multiple rolls without running back to the darkroom to reload (as you would with a home-made “singleshot” camera). The Zero Image cameras produce the sharpest images of any Pinhole device I’ve used. Definitely an excellent first camera for someone starting with Pinhole.

13. DWThomas

DWThomas Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Over years of participating in Worldwide Pinhole Photography Day (last Sunday in April each year) I have observed that many of the best shots (in terms of sharpness and general quality) I see in the resulting online gallery come from Zero Image cameras, though I'm sure there are other candidates. So far I have made my own, first with a new lensboard for a 4x5 press camera, then a body cap adapter for a medium format, then dedicated cameras -- literally "box cameras" -- for 4x5, then later, an 8x10. In the latter I have been shooting X-ray film and tray developing. There are many ways to get there. And maybe the journey is more important than the destination! :whistling:

That's the beauty of pinhole -- hardly anything is "wrong!"

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. scheimfluger_77

scheimfluger_77 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Pinhole
  16. anfenglin

anfenglin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I can recommend my Natasha 6x12, it also can do 6x9. A guy in Taiwan called Jerry Chen builds them and sells them over Facebook, they are well built and have quite an ingenious shutter with magnets.

17. mooseontheloose

mooseontheloose Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I love my Reality So Subtle (RSS) cameras - incredibly well-built, with two pinholes per camera, level, and tripod sockets for portrait and vertical orientation. They all take 120 film but are not multi format. I have the 6x17 and now the 6x6F, which takes filters, a real bonus. Plus, it’s incredibly slim and light (it would fit inside your pocket). There are other options as well.

Sorry, I know you have a lot of recommendations already, but I had to add this one too.

18. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Christmas popcorn tin and 11x14 paper makes a great pano ULF.

19. NedL

NedL Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    Definitely! Mine is a "Hello Kitty" popcorn tin... my daughter was little when I made it and I had to get permission to turn it into a pinhole camera :smile:

[​IMG]
    Making "Shell Beach Tidepool"
    par Ned, on ipernity

20. Fritzthecat

Fritzthecat Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Fantastic!

21. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    A further note about the Zero Image pinhole cameras.
    The brass fittings on these artisan works, though lacquered, are eye-catching and attractive, but they can rapidly discolour through exposure to e.g. salty air by the sea. The wood will require a going-over with a preservative occasionally like Mr. Sheen or orange oil, but I use carnauba wax which imparts a 'hard shell'. It doesn't make the cameras slippery, but it makes them a conversation piece in-situ when curious folk amble along and wonder what that shiny new camera is (and occasionally ask "can I see a preview on the screen?".... as if...). After a lot of use, the shutter-optioned cameras will require a small adjustment to the plunger throw. On that note, ensure you get a cable release with a long-throw e.g. the Gepe, Linhof, Nikon or something else. Definitely not el cheapo $5.00 Chinee jobs.

22. Theo Sulphate

Theo Sulphate Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    For some reason, my ZeroImage 6x6 photos are noticeably softer than images I've seen from others having this same model.

I realize sharpness shouldn't be a prime attribute in pinhole photography, but some of those photos I've seen have amazed me.

23. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
  24. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    The recommended f/ is f22 for these cameras.
    And how can you be sure the photos you see of other cameras have not been doctored?
    Too many people actually sharpen their pinhole camera photographs, because they want them to appear like a Zeiss lens! Ilford trumpets the Titan pinhole as having better sharpness than a lot of pinhole cameras, and then users go and sharpen the images again! Seriously, let a pinhole camera be a pinhole camera.

25. Ces1um

Ces1um Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If your heart is set on 120 film then I'd consider the Ondu brand. They have a camera that does 6x6, 6x9 and 6x12- so you won't have to choose. The zero image cameras also offer this ability but a "shutter release" is available which I think would be a fantastic option and worthy of consideration. Their website is absolute garbage though. Ordering is confusing if you want add ons.
    One thing though- make sure you like the kind of photos a pinhole camera takes because more often than not the photos are soft, and the exposures are long. Walking through a forest may require a 20 minute exposure... Out in bright sunny day it may only be 1.4 seconds. Some people get tack sharp photos with their camera. I haven't experienced this yet. I've gotten acceptably sharp, but never sharp. I'm still learning though and I can't scan my 4x5 negative in a single pass so there's a lot of software manipulation to my images to get them on a screen. I'd suggest checking out pinhole photos and seeing if you find any that you really like. You may find the photos lack the kind of detail you expect in a photo and your new camera may appear to be a downgrade to you. That being said, in my humble opinion my harman titan 4x5 is the most fun camera I've ever owned.

26. Theo Sulphate

Theo Sulphate Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sorry - I should've provided more details. I know two people who have the ZeroImage 6x6 pinhole cameras. We both use 120-format color film and have it printed at the same place (I'm looking at actual prints, not a monitor). Theirs appear less soft than mine. The only thing I can think of is that I was using old film and increasing exposure to compensate. Even so, most of my exposures run from one minute to 20 minutes.

The ZeroImage 2000 6x6 has an effective aperture of f/138.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.