First major production run of new Ektachrome scheduled to happen in a few weeks

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Minoltafan2904, Nov 16, 2017.

1. OP
    OP
    Minoltafan2904

Minoltafan2904 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I agree that i understand Kodak's decision of not cutting that new Ektachrome into 120 yet, because of the backing paper issues they have been having.
    35mm is a safe bet for now.

2. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Backing paper or not, wouldn't they need to commit to running on a completely different film material...120 film isn't different from 35mm in just width and sprocket holes.

3. David Luttmann

David Luttmann Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What is the yield from a 4' x 6000' run? My guess was 32,000 rolls of 35mm.

4. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Type 120 base is thinner than type 135 base.

Though in the past Maco converted mismatched bases, and there was not much protest.

5. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Converted in which direction? 120 base to 35mm format, or 35mm base to 120 format? I have some 35mm Ilford from the 1980s, can't even remember which B&W emulsion at the moment, that had a thin base to accommodate a 72 exposure cassette. It was dreadful stuff to work with.

6. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    At the insolvency of AgfaPhoto there was few if any APX on type 120 base. So Maco used parts of the still remaining stock with type 35mm base to convert it to type 120 and into sheet film.

7. BMbikerider

BMbikerider Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    To be honest, until I gave up using 120 film about 6 months ago, I used Kodak Ektar and T max and I never had a problem. I wonder if it was a storage problem (too warm) before the customer bought it?
    Also a gnat's whisker thinner too!

8. cmacd123

cmacd123 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    yes, often 120 is rather different than 35, and "sheet" is also different. "roll" ir 120 is about 3 mils thick, 35 is about 5 mils and sheet is 6 or 7 mils. Movie stock in 35, 16 and even super 8 is the same thickness as 35mm still film.

Many makers use Polyester for both "roll" and "Sheet"

the 72 exposure rolls referred to by another poster were on a thin Polyester base, which resulted in a greater Tendency to curl. (some techies would blame something called "Core Set") I don't believe the experiment was successful, the 10 rolls I bought of it were on close out from Freestyle and I might still have one or two in my freezer, now quite a bit fogged of course from storage.

9. trendland

trendland Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    May be it was me? I mentioned it sometimes.
    Are you speaking about films like Ilford Hp5 135-72 ?
    I got no problems with it.
    They where as flat as others after washing and drying.
    But they had a little need to press it (after 100% drying phase) like leaves - just over night.

with regards

10. cmacd123

cmacd123 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    yes, some poly film can retain a curl if it is stored tightly wound for some time. it will generally straighten after being dried flat and stored flat, and in fact will then WANT to stay flat.

11. Arklatexian

Arklatexian Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    WE may not NEED all these new threads, but I do. I don't look elsewhere, I look HERE!......Regards!

12. bvy

bvy Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You follow one thread and ignore the others?

13. WilmarcoImaging

WilmarcoImaging Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Kodak will give an update today at 3:00pm Eastern US time, per their Instagram feed.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The only projector I have for transparency is regular-8. I hope they will considering throwing a bone to the regular-8 users. 120 would be nice but I don't think any new projectors are available.

16. WilmarcoImaging

WilmarcoImaging Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  17. dutchsteammachine

dutchsteammachine Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I wonder if they reached out to local processing labs around the world, and will just give you the address to the nearest Kodak verified lab.

18. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    The question: do such Kodak verified labs exist? Are you sure?
    And why is it necessary to process the film at these fabled Kodak verified labs?
    Still, could always take the exposed Ekta to a lab processing Fuji film... any lab processing E6, actually.

19. Prof_Pixel

Prof_Pixel Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    We're not talking 35 mm film. It's all about Super 8. Verified labs will not only process the Super 8 film, they will scan it and put it on 'the cloud' as a part of the processing.

20. Cholentpot

Cholentpot Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    Related but unrelated, there are rumors that Kodak has slashed the price of bulk rolls of film. Anyone hear of this besides for me?

21. ME Super

ME Super Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is good. We need a second player in the E-6 market again. Don't get me wrong, Fujichrome Provia and Velvia are top notch films, but they're not as inexpensive as they were when I returned to film in 2010. In 2010, I could get 5 rolls of Fujichrome for $30. Today, B&H wants $14/roll for the Provia and 11.50 for the Velvia 50. Usually it's the Velvia 50 that's more expensive than the Provia. It makes me wonder if B&H knows something about Provia that we don't know. :sad:

If Kodak can bring out their Ektachrome and have it competitively priced with Fuji, I just might switch to Kodak for the ISO 100 reversal film (the Velvia 50 is just plain magic, though!).

22. OP
    OP
    Minoltafan2904

Minoltafan2904 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Kodak Professional said the other day that it will be released in Q1 of this year, so before April.
    Since early December they have been running test coatings and examining them.

23. OP
    OP
    Minoltafan2904

Minoltafan2904 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    They had a sale on Provia 100F last month, probably to sell off some idle stock that was going to expire?
    Also be aware that the 35mm 5 packs will not be available anymore from i believe March onwards?

24. ME Super

ME Super Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Umm, I haven't seen B&H sell single 35mm rolls of Provia 100F in a box in a while. You order a single roll, it gets sent in a film canister without a box, which makes me think B&H has been breaking up the pro packs into single rolls. If they stop selling it in pro-packs, what's left in 35mm?!

25. RattyMouse

RattyMouse Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I dont think think that sale has anything to do with film that was near expiration date. B & H is very clear when selling film that is short term expiration as seen in this link with a current Provia 100F sale.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/391144-USA/Fujifilm_RDP_III_135_36_Fujichrome_Provia.html

26. bvy

bvy Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The sale at that time clearly stated that it was short dated with a 5/18 expiration date.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.