Filter Compensation - in Camera

Discussion in 'Exposure Discussion' started by AlNY, Sep 19, 2018.

1. AlNY

AlNY Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Assuming a light meter reads a subject at 60/f5.6 and the camera has a lens filter that keeps out 1 stop of light, the in camera meter (if accurate) should read 30/f5.6.
    If so, would the camera have to be set at 15/f5.6 to get the correct exposure of the original scene ?

I'm having a brain freeze.

2. Pieter12

Pieter12 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No. That would be 2 stops off the meter reading. The hypothetical in-camera reading is correct.

Best is to bracket as a test to see if the exposure factor of the filter is indeed as indicated. Different films can act differently to filters. I don't always use the indicated factor. And I believe some in-camera meters don't respond properly to certain filters?

3. jim10219

jim10219 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    If the camera has TTL (Through The Lens) metering, it should read meter the scene correctly with the filter installed.

That being said, not every camera meters every color of filter correctly. And not every film responds the same way to colored filters. This is especially true with metering with red and IR filters. I would ignore those exceptions when starting out and just note any irregularities you happen to notice and compensate for them next time. Or shoot some test rolls first, if you’re planning on shooting something you don’t want to take a risk on.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.