Figure and Ground?

Discussion in 'Photographic Aesthetics and Composition' started by Doc W, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Doc W

Doc W Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I have heard some photographers talking about the concept of figure and ground in photographs. I have tried to find some more information on this but it seems a little nebulous. I can't really nail down what they are talking about. Have any of you heard of this idea and can anyone direct me to a site or book that discusses it fully?

2. tedr1

tedr1 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    I can recommend two books that were recommended to me by my supervisor when I started at Kodak on perception:
    Art and Visual Perception, A Psychology of the Creative Eye, The New Version, 50th Anniversary Printing, 1974, Rudolf Arnheim, University of California Press Berkley, ISBN-13: 9780-520-24383-5, ISBN-10: 0-520-24383-8
    Perception & Imaging, Second Edition, Richard D. Zakia, 2002, Focal Press, Boston et al, ISBN: 0-240-80466-X
    I hope these help you, they helped me.

4. rpavich

rpavich Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    This is a video that includes the concept, it's really really worth watching over and over. This has been a very valuable video for me on so very many levels. It includes much more than figure to ground.

But, specifically the figure to ground idea is discussed starting here:

Here is a link to the entire video

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  5. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    Thank you I learned things and enjoyed it.

6. Julie McLeod

Julie McLeod Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thank you. I'm getting a lot out of this video.

7. rpavich

rpavich Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    You're welcome. I've watched it 10 times and still get things out of it. If I only could retain it all :smile:

You're welcome. In my opinion, Adam Marelli is a very underrated photographer and educator. He's very sharp. He's also got a Udemy course that's much longer than this.

8. Nodda Duma

Nodda Duma Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank ypu for posting about this.

9. Julie McLeod

Julie McLeod Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the Udemy suggestion too. I'm going to take a couple of his courses. :smile:

10. rpavich

rpavich Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    You are very welcome!

11. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yes,it became clear after about 1 minute that this person knew what he was talking about, how to make it relevant and most importantly how to impart his knowledge to an audience. Alas something that can be stated for few presenters on You Tube

pentaxuser

12. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    Well it looks like the OP gets rave reviews for this thread! Kudos!

13. SJacPhoto

SJacPhoto Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    the figure to ground in Photography describes the contrast between the foreground and the background. When subjects are separated and clearly visible it is easier for the viewer to comprehend the scene. The way books have mostly white pages with black letters, we as photographers can arrange a scene that it becomes easier to observe.

You can also see more here: https://streetbounty.com/2016/06/24/figure-to-ground/

14. Theo Sulphate

Theo Sulphate Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Intersection of walls in my house:

IMAG6178-1.jpg

(photo made at night with steam-powered phone, sorry)

15. jtk

jtk Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Most people think photos are "of something." Of a duck, of a bride, of lunch" etc. Those are figures. I think photographers often fail to understand that their cameras don't work that way...cameras don't know or care what they're photographing.

IMO concern about figure/ground is old-fashioned analytic and might sometimes best be put aside by photographers. What does the viewer notice on second viewing?

16. jtk

jtk Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    For example, the OT has a tagline that says ""The beauty and profundity of God is more real than any mere calculation."

That's not true for anybody with eyes open, or for their cameras. It's inferred intellectually but not often experienced...therefore not often beautiful or profound.

God seems usually to be insisted-upon as "Figure." That can distract us from "ground." What is more "beautiful or profound" than the everyday reality we photograph?

17. cliveh

cliveh Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
  18. OP
    OP
    Doc W

Doc W Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I just came back here after a 2-3 month hiatus to find all of these wonderful responses. Thanks so much, you guys. Much appreciated.

jtk, I didn't completely grasp what you were saying. Try me again in PM if you like.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.