EU SAYS INTERNET PICTURES BELONG TO YOU!!

Discussion in 'Ethics and Philosophy' started by Peter Schrager, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Peter Schrager

Peter Schrager Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Just read this that the EU decided in favor of a photographer whose photo was taken and posted on a school website must get paid
    Time to move to europe!

2. OP
    OP
    Peter Schrager

Peter Schrager Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Sure somewhere here can find the link...

3. Eric Rose

Eric Rose Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So to in Canada.

4. faberryman

faberryman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Unsurprising result.

5. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is no news at all. The german legislation on this is 111 years old...

I guess the issue in this case arose on the term "publication". The user of the respective photo, a public school, seemingly argued that uploading on their school's website was no publication in the meaning of the law.

(Even here at Apug often the idea is uttered that non-commercial use of a protected photo is generally legal.)

As the school did not publish the photo directly, but as part of a student's work maybe this was argued on too.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
  6. slackercrurster

slackercrurster Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, but from what I understand, in the EU you are not supposed to take photos of people in public and post on the net. If that is true, not good for street photogs.

If you need free images for your project, check with Wiki Commons, The Internet Archive, Europeana or Open Clip Art Library . They have millions and millions of free high res images. Pixabay is a truly outstanding site and has some really amazing photos…all for free.

7. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Street photography as typically understood is illegal in Germany since 111 years.

No outcry by photographers all those years...

(The moment a person no longer is part of a large group, or just kind of add-on to a scene, and few other restrictions publication of such photograph needed permission of such person since 1907. Very recent legislation even prohibits the mere taking of a person in distress. So much for Germany.)

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
  8. If one needs photographs for a project, how about getting off of one butt and taking their own photographs. It is not rocket science.

9. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This isn't new, it's always been the case.

The issue is some photo sharing websites have hidden clauses in their user agreements implying anyone posting images gives up their rights. I know Facebook had to change their policies in this regard but I've no idea about other sites.

Ian

10. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I too am amazed that the case went that high, as to me it seemed a clear case.
    Since the introduction of german author's right legislation it was clear that publication of a work does not mean that it is free to grab and re-publish.

I hope that really tricky cases now not all will end at EU High Court.

11. Even before I had a photo stolen from APUG, this was the reason that I would not use any of the "photo storage websites" which I considered "photo stealing websites".

12. slackercrurster

slackercrurster Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Now, the EU'ers will have to come to USA sources to get fair use photos.

13. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    "Fair Use" is an american legal concept too...

(Maybe the school/defendant in this case thought of such, though the court's comment does not hint at this. And we do not have such concept here either.)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.