Erwin and His Guns...stereo views from the 1950s WI

Discussion in 'Antiques and Collecting' started by slackercrurster, Sep 30, 2018.

1. slackercrurster

slackercrurster Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  2. Lee Rust

Lee Rust Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Kodachrome, hunting and 1950's rural Wisconsin culture are receding into history, but 3D images can bring these old slices of time and space immediately back to life for whomever takes the time to look. That's the thing about stereo photos, especially color transparencies... the feeling that the scene is still happening in that little space right between your eyes. 2D prints or screen images are always viewed from a distance.

I have a Stereo Realist and occasionally go through a roll of film for a special occasion, but the camera is awkward and the whole slide mounting process quite cumbersome. Although I don't have any experience with it so far, I assume high-resolution digital virtual reality can do the job easier and faster (and then some).

3. GRHazelton

GRHazelton Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My Uncle, John LaRue was a Stereo Realist shooter. I recall passing the viewer around and enjoying the "you are there" feeling. He didn't have a 3D projector, that would have been even more immersive. When we bought a 52 inch plasma flat screen recently we spent the small additional charge for the 3D version. The few DVDs we have in 3D are impressive, especially "Hugo," where the effect is often subtle. For example you're aware of dust motes floating in the near foreground. We first saw Hugo in the theater where the big screen is more effective than the average home setting. And of course the connection with early movies is there for us.

4. OP
    OP
    slackercrurster

slackercrurster Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Erwin had a job at White's Realist factory. Will have to see if I still have the obit.

5. Lee Rust

Lee Rust Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Very interesting. The David White Company was in Milwaukee. Lake Poygan is 100 miles or more to the NW. Was that Erwin's family home or a vacation place?

6. ced

ced Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    Besides the photographic interest, one can do without guns!

7. OP
    OP
    slackercrurster

slackercrurster Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Think he lived there.

8. jim10219

jim10219 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Interesting film holders. I've only seen the cardstock paper ones.

I enjoy taking my Stereo Realist out. It's a lot of fun to shoot, and even more fun to view. I only shoot about 1-2 rolls a year, but take it with me for vacations and stuff. And when I get the film developed, I only mount about half the photos. I really enjoy looking through it. My fiancé does not. But she has a pretty bad astigmatism, and can't really see it in 3D.

9. ced

ced Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    20th image down, when one crosses one's eyes slightly they jump into 3D but the bell tower jumps from behind the people to in front of them.

10. REAndy

REAndy Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ugg, I didn't even think of trying to view them in 3D until you mentioned this.
    Using your inspiration, I downloaded the photo. I then moved the right photo closer to the left (where the caption is). I had to reduce on screen viewing down to 50% and it is very easy to see the 3D effect on monitor. I just did this quickly with Windows Paint.

11. ced

ced Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    Life is too short for downloading :smile:

12. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Are you sure? There is a direct line from late 13th/early 14th century artillery to the engine in your automobile - which is at best about 25% efficient, and kills more people.

13. Theo Sulphate

Theo Sulphate Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    How hard is it to find mounts and do the cutting and mounting for Realist photos? Do you have a stereo projector for them?

I briefly investigated the Viewmaster camera, which is delightfully complex, but the 1/4 frame images and the rare and expensive cutter, plus the disks, make that option impractical for many.

14. OP
    OP
    slackercrurster

slackercrurster Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've got a hand-held viewer. Works great. I never mounted any. Like anything else, you can prob get mounts on eBay. My archive has a large collection of stereo slides. But the kinds I like are pricey.

15. OP
    OP
    slackercrurster

slackercrurster Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    'Craftsman Guild 3D Viewer' is a good cheap one to get. Think I paid $10 for one used. The illuminated viewers are pretty nice. But they are $35 to $50 used. Old Euro stereo slides need a different size viewer.

Ebay has a whole area just for for 3D lovers.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.