Enlarger too bright (Durst CLS450)

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by henpe, Jan 20, 2018.

1. Yes. Add equal parts of cyan, yellow and magenta to form a neutral density filter.

2. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Laclan, can I ask what your exposures are with 600W and f11 and what you use to lengthen the exposure to the kind of range that henpe's needs, namely about, say, 15-20 secs.

If you achieve what henpe's needs to achieve but using double the power then I remain puzzled at why his system cannot achieve 15-20 secs exposures

I am simply trying to get the the bottom of what is going wrong in henpe's set-up from an investigative point of view.

Before the thread takes off into another round of repeat of solutions involving "work-arounds" I appreciate that sticking to f11 to avoid diffusion and at the same time, achieving longer exposures may be solved from a practical aspect with neutral density and working with the controls already built-in with the enlarger extra Y,M and C may provide this most easily.

pentaxuser

3. Lachlan Young

Lachlan Young Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    f16, sometimes f22 & a baseline aim of 11-16s exposure. You're unlikely to notice diffraction issues on the 3x enlargement in question unless you were (for example) making separations on to film. In that case you'd possibly be using different lenses & preferably a shutter for maximising consistency. A 150mm might make a difference too - a 10% longer focal length will help. Remember that the results found by Ctein regarding optimal apertures under test conditions (to take one case) might only have tangential relationships to reality/ actual practice. The OP should do his own testing & see how his system performs at those apertures. He might find that theory does not bear out in practice, especially given the limited resolving power of most papers and the small enlargement in question. We're not talking about a 30x enlargement off 35mm here.

I do wonder if the dichroic filters etc may be fading somewhat in the CLS, but other than that, dozens, if not hundreds or even thousands of photographers relied on those heads to produce first rate results on papers that were just as fast.

4. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks, Lachlan. On balance my take from your posts and the thread overall is that f16 may be necessary and is quite safe and if henpe requires even more exposure then some form of added ND will be enough and as has been said added Y,M and C will do the trick

pentaxuser

5. Luis-F-S

Luis-F-S Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Go to f/16-f22 which will increase your exposure to 8-16 sec, and if neede use a 180 mm lens! L

6. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Remember that diffraction is a function of the physical size of the aperture, not the effective f/stop.
    f/16 involves a physically smaller aperture in a 50mm lens than it does in a 135mm lens. So a 50mm lens set to f/16 will suffer more from diffraction than a 135mm lens set to f/16.

7. darkroommike

darkroommike Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    One of the many lovely things about Durst color heads is that the filtration is in density units, not CC or CP values, hence 30C+30M+30Y=30ND which is a 50% reduction in light output one stop. 60-60-60 is two stops, etc.

8. sepiareverb

sepiareverb Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Oriental Seagull VC Warmtone is a slower paper than the Ilford Classic.

9. ac12

ac12 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Is there a bulb smaller than 200w? I figure you need to drop the wattage significantly to make a decent difference in light output.
    I had the same problem with my M600. The stock 150w bulb gave me exposure times too short to dodge/burn, less than 5 sec. I went to a 75w PH-211, which was better. I would have preferred to go down even further, but they don't make a photo bulb lower than 75w, that I could find at the time.

Another option, if you can't find a smaller bulb, is a glass screw on the lens ND filter.
    The glass ND filter should be a decent enough optical quality that it won't affect the image. IOW, not the $5 junk box filters.

10. CMoore

CMoore Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
  11. jim10219

jim10219 Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I've got a similar problem myself. A Beseler 23c, Ilford MG IV Fiber based paper, Ilford MG filters, and with either a 50mm or 105mm lens, I'm getting exposure times around 4 seconds at f/11 with a standard density negative. I bought my enlarger used, and only have the one bulb for it. It's unmarked, but it looks like a PH140 75w bulb, if I were to guess. I've long suspected it maybe wasn't what it was labeled. Either that or my filters are old or there's something wrong with my paper.

In any case, I took a piece of translucent white plastic and cut it to size and placed it in the filter carrier above the condenser head. It cuts down the light enough to make times manageable.

12. darkroommike

darkroommike Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The standard bulb for the Durst M600 is 75watts not 150watts.

13. darkroommike

darkroommike Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Have the same problem with the school enlargers and bought some Rosco ND theatrical gel.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. OP
    OP
    henpe

henpe Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yeah, I have tried a similar approach and installed a cheap acrylic ND-filter, but above the mixing chamber, it melted.... :smile: But this is I good idea nevertheless. I will now go with a frosted piece of glass instead, I've figured it will reduce light by ½-a-stop. (On the CLS450, there is a perfect slot for installing a sheet of "filter" above the mixing-box, but no filter-drawer or equivalent below the box, that's why I am so stubborn about putting things above the box, even though there is a heat problem)

Regards
    Henrik

16. Johnkpap

Johnkpap Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi Henrik, Your latest post reminded me of something that also may help

My Durst L1200 was originally owned by a government agency called the Dept of Transport here in sunny Australia. I bought it many years ago it came with 2 heads and everything in its original box in like new condition. My FEMOBOX 450 N came with 2 lower diffusers
    One is labled Dif 1 the other is labled Dif 2 the id is on the long edge in small print.
    Dif 2 is twice as thick as Dif1

Please check your FEMOBOX and see which one is fitted

If you have a Dif 1 you can make a Dif 2 by cutting a bit of Perspex Plastic the same approx 5mm shorter and tape it in place with Scotch Magic tape

Johnkpap

17. ac12

ac12 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    M600 manual states 60-150w.
    Mine was bought NEW with a 150w bulb, which I quickly replaced with a 75w bulb.
    But this was well over 40 years ago, so I do not remember if the dealer put the 150w bulb into the box, or if it came from Durst with the 150w bulb.

18. OP
    OP
    henpe

henpe Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Johnkpap! Great advice! I will check upon this next time I am in the darkroom. Even though it seems I should be able to find a label on the diffuser, just for reference, do you remember how thick Dif 1 and Dif 2 are, approximately?

19. Johnkpap

Johnkpap Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi Henrik,
    The Dif 1 is approx 3 mm thick Dif 2 is approx 6mm thick and is beveled so that it is 3mm thick on each end for the first 5 mm and can fit in place of the Dif 1

Johnkpap

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.