Threads
Members
Latest member
jrhii
Recent bookmarks

Dmosher

Shooter
Medium Format
I have a problem. Its a good problem, but a problem none the less. I currently have my darkroom setup with an Omega D-2V enlarger bolted to a tabletop. This enlarger works well for me and is in almost new condition. It came out of a government darkroom and looks to have gotten very little use. I have a plethora of lens cones, and some misc. spare parts.

My problem is that I have recently acquired an Omega D5XL. It is in not as good condition and I will need to swap out the color head on it currently for the variable condenser head on my D2V. Condition wise, one of the two counterbalance springs is shot and not currently attached. The gears have a bit more wear, but nothing major.

I'm looking for any thoughts recommendations, etc. - is it worth the effort to switch the two out. I also acquired a Beseler 45vxl with the 8x10 conversion that will be wall mounted so if I need to make very large prints I can use that enlarger. Can the D5 be used with just one of the counterbalance springs? any other thoughts?

I also acquired an Omega D-II if anyone is looking for one...

Last edited:

chip j

Shooter
35mm
Why bother w/setting up a broken one when it'll just do the same thing as what's working well for you now.

Arklatexian

Shooter
Multi Format
Why bother w/setting up a broken one when it'll just do the same thing as what's working well for you now.
I have a problem. Its a good problem, but a problem none the less. I currently have my darkroom setup with an Omega D-2V enlarger bolted to a tabletop. This enlarger works well for me and is in almost new condition. It came out of a government darkroom and looks to have gotten very little use. I have a plethora of lens cones, and some misc. spare parts.

My problem is that I have recently acquired an Omega D5XL. It is in not as good condition and I will need to swap out the color head on it currently for the variable condenser head on my D2V. Condition wise, one of the two counterbalance springs is shot and not currently attached. The gears have a bit more wear, but nothing major.

I'm looking for any thoughts recommendations, etc. - is it worth the effort to switch the two out. I also acquired a Beseler 45vxl with the 8x10 conversion that will be wall mounted so if I need to make very large prints I can use that enlarger. Can the D5 be used with just one of the counterbalance springs? any other thoughts?

I also acquired an Omega D-II if anyone is looking for one...
If I was doing B&W and I had three good, working, enlargers and a D5XL that needed work, I would get rid of the D5XL. The cones, etc. that work on the D2V will work on the D11 as will the variable condenser head if need be. Go with what is working and forget the one that needs parts/repair......Regards!

Neal

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Dear Dmosher,

The best thing I can say about the D5XL is that I love my lens turret and color head. It sounds as though neither item is of interest to you.

If what you are really looking for is the extra height, you can solve that the way I did, essentially putting your current enlarger up on a block or, as I did, on stilts.

Good luck,

Neal Wydra

Paul Howell

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
The only reason to rebuild the D5XL is for additional column height, as you have 45vxl for making large prints as needed I would sell the D5 for parts and focus on the D3 and VXL.

darkroommike

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
The D5-XL will work fine with one counter balance with a condenser head but needs two for the colorhead. Replacement springs are available. If your current D2 is giving you all it's love why look at others? Assuming it's a D2 and not a push-pull D-II, steal the D5 baseboard and if you ever need to make really big prints you can reverse the column for floor projection. Or use the Omega right angle mirror.

[I currently have a D3 with a Variable condenser head, and a D5 with a Multigrade 600 (Durst) head and a D2 I am restoring to sell. If I could have only one I would pick the D3. If I had to choose between a D2 and a D5 I would (Probably) take the D2.]

OP
OP
Dmosher

Dmosher

Shooter
Medium Format
Thanks for the replies. I seems that my thoughts of selling the D5 and continuing with my D2 have been confirmed. (anyone looking for a D5XL with colorhead and chromegatrol power supply/timer? :smile: )

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab Blue Moon Camera & Machine
Top Bottom