engrave equipment

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by RalphLambrecht, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Carriage

Carriage Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    My favourite is the story explained in the first paragraph here. http://www.oxbridgeediting.co.uk/blog/british-and-american-english/

2. OP
    OP
    RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    and you guys wonder why we have different photographic paper sizes in different countries? I think the EU members just agreed on a color for different EU passports. well done!

3. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    Two people separated by a common language.

4. faberryman

faberryman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If your stuff is stolen, just file a claim on your homeowners insurance. Life is short.

5. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    +1

At today's prices one could replace the equipment for less than it originally cost the owner.

6. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I do not even have a driving licence number...

(Though I have a driving licence.)

7. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Groups:
  8. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    i don't engrave anythng or write anything on or inside a camera. i just make sure
    it is't CLA'd and runs amok when i use it, and only use slow shutter speeds
    ( and purposefully over expose my film as a result ) .. so if someone steals my stuff
    it will cost them more to get a CLA than the gear is worth .... that is if they can find my stuff ..
    i also have gallons of lemon juice on hand and soak most everythng i have of value in that
    i was told by people smarter than me it makes everything invisible .. i put it all over my car too
    i was also told i have super powers because while no one else can see any of my stuff, I CAN ...
    its a lot of fun driving an invisible car and using invisible cameras ! people always see me juse appear out of
    no where thinking i am a mime when i tke their picture .. little do they know im no mime !!
    problem i have is misplacing them i must have lost a 1/2 dozen cameras and a couple of cars this way.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
  9. BradS

BradS Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    As a consumer of used camera equipment, I find engraving to be an unsightly abomination.

I also find it odd that people engrave both their name and, in some cases, social security number !

10. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    I prefer not to engrave my camera equipment. Nor can I think of anything that I would engrave.

11. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Engraving some sort of unique identifier makes sense with valuable equipment that doesn't have individual serial numbers.
    It also may make sense to engrave things that need to be kept in matched pairs - I'm thinking of Nikor developing tanks and their lids and caps here.

12. Luis-F-S

Luis-F-S Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I had Jack Deardorff engrave a V5 I bought in 1988! Other than that, No!

13. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    But just this is one of the intended effects.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. BradS

BradS Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm

ah...yes! Brilliantly observed. :smile:

16. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Groups:
  17. Luckless

Luckless Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Given how much hate so many people seem to have for engraved equipment, I'm rather sorry that it wasn't even more popular. If Dr. Smith's wife decided to pay for commemorative engraving on something back in the 60's, then I'll happily pay a little less for it now and enjoy the random bit of history from the item. (Before refinishing, plating over, or just ignoring and getting on with my work.)

I could see myself customizing some of my gear eventually, as I would like to learn engraving and inlaying as a hobby at some point, but I don't think I would likely take one of those electric engraving pens to something to scrawl my name over. A few pieces of gear I own have some finish damage in places where I can't readily restore to original finish, but I could totally hide the rework under some fancy engraving work or similar if I ever decide to take the time to make them look a little less beat up.

18. faberryman

faberryman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There is no need to engrave a unique identifier on your equipment. It already has one - the serial number. If you keep your receipts, you have all you need to identify your equipment. Face it: if your gear is stolen, you're never going to see it again; you file a claim with your insurance company and move on.

19. Dennis-B

Dennis-B Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've never engraved any equipment. In the pre-computer days, I kept everything listed on a good sized spreadsheet by hand; serial numbers, descriptions, costs, etc. When the computer era came along, I'd record the data in Lotus 1-2-3, than later on Microsoft's MS-DOS Multiplan. I finally migrated everything to Excel, and just kept it updated since. Where I was employed we used IBM software, and we kept a lot of equipment records on a program titled ADRS (A Departmental Reporting System). This was the first true "cloud" system.

About a month ago, I found a very nice Mamiya 100-200 f/5.2 zoom for my RZ67. The down side was that it was engraved with a company's "unique" ID. Otherwise, the lens is spotless. The up side? It came in a brand new Pelican 1450 case; lens and case were $135. Price on the case is around $125.

20. guangong

guangong Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Engraving? One of my good friends was a star dealer of Leica and Leitz equipment who, in recognition of his benefit to E. Leitz, was given an M3 with his name engraved on the top plate. Camera stolen from the trunk of his car and camera never recovered. Sad because he was such a kind and generous man.
    Best way to protect equipment is to keep it close at hand. Expensive stuff I keep in my fire resistant gun safe along with important manuscripts and works in progress.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.