Efke 100 and PMK Pyro

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Dan Dozer, Feb 11, 2009.

1. Dan Dozer

Dan Dozer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I've recently gotten a box of 8 x 20 Eflke 100 to try out but have no basis to start with the developing times. I use PMK Pyro as my normal developer. Have any of you used this combo before and what development times do you typically use?

2. wildbill

wildbill Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Dan,
    digitaltruth.com's massive development chart says 100asa for 10minutes at 1+2+100. I'd start there. Since you're not doing silver prints you're gonna have to test it a bit.

3. OP
    OP
    Dan Dozer

Dan Dozer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Wow Vinny - this is exactly what I needed. I didn't even know about this website - I guess I've got to get out more.

Thanks a million,

Dan

4. Jim Fitzgerald

Jim Fitzgerald Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Dan, that is a good site for finding a starting point. The Efke PL 100 is a nice film in 8x20. I just developed the only 8x20 shot I took at Joshua Tree last weekend and I exposed a sheet of Bergger 200 @ 80 and developed it in Pyrocat-HD 2:2:100 @72 degrees in a tray. 5 minutes pre-soak, 30 seconds agitation then 5 seconds every 30 seconds for 11 minutes, water stop and 4 minutes fix. Gave me a nice +1 negative for carbon. Can't wait to print it. Pyro is fun!!

Jim

5. LizAllen

LizAllen Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Hi,
    I am curious about Efke film. I ahve been using Bergger for years, shooting 11 x 14 PMK Pyro. Pt/pd. printing. I read on the digitaltruth site that Efke needed to be hardened? I never did this with Bergger. Is it necessary with Efke? I ususally tray 6 to 8 sheets at a time no problem. Yes love that pyro!!

Liz

http://photosplatinum.com

6. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    You could preharden, or just be careful when tray developing. Bergger was made by Forte, and had similar hardening issues, so if you could handle Bergger 200 in 11x14" sheets in trays, you can probably manage with PL100. A tanning developer like PMK will help. I usually use ABC pyro myself.

7. LizAllen

LizAllen Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    David,
    thank you. I never had trouble with scratching Tray developing and really like PMK staining pyro too. So i will just go for it Thanks again..
    Liz