Threads
Members
Latest member
GRInfratech
Recent bookmarks

AZD

Shooter
35mm
Does anyone here have experience regarding latent image stability of Kodak’s current E100?

Here’s the situation: I rarely use color film, and a few recent rolls of print film just reaffirmed that I prefer slides. I am thinking of dedicating a light SLR body to color only. I could tuck it in my bag and only use it when I see a color picture, which doesn’t happen often. Seeing 36 of them could take a year, so the first frames would of course sit around undeveloped for a while, suffering unknown effects.

I realize there are variables such as temperature, but for the sake of argument let’s assume the spare body spends most of its life downstairs around 68-72 degrees Fahrenheit.

cmacd123

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
Not sure about current ektachrome, but I often am a year behind in getting other film processed. I do have a partial roll of Ektachrome in one of my Cameras which is unlikly to get any more shots on it while the Ground is white.

OP
OP

AZD

Shooter
35mm
I hear you, I lag behind also. With black and white, any changes seem to be minimal or easily corrected in printing. I suppose the same is true with most color print film, though I use so little I couldn’t say. But with chromes, you’re kinda stuck with whatever color shifts or other gremlins might appear.

Chances are I’ll give it a go and see how it works out.

Agulliver

Shooter
Multi Format
The old Ektachromes were very good with latent image. Certainly over a period of 2-3 years. I used to shoot 100D and 64T in super 8 and occasionally would find a part used cartrdige....finish it off and get it processed only to find that the first part had been shot years before.

I would assume the new stuff is as good.

DREW WILEY

Shooter
8x10 Format
Dunno. They officially claim it's been somewhat improved. But prior Ektachromes were certainly acceptable in that respect. Having had plenty of experience with that, I still wouldn't wait more than 6 months to develop film, preferably sooner, especially is the exposed film is stored in a hot, humid, location like the Tropics. The end result also depends on whether or not the film was fresh when shot, or already somewhat out of date by then. Of course, one can often keep film frozen prior to use, but not on long trips. Up in the mountains, I was generally a lot more worried about just getting my fingers thawed enough to use a camera in the mornings; I was camped in the freezer!

Anyway, I seldom shoot 35mm, and the roll of Ekta 100 in my Nikon last year took half of the year to finish shooting, and I wasn't particularly worried. This is not a hot or humid climate. I'm a lot more worried about the rate of shooting and exposing any thawed, opened box of 8X10 color film because it's so much more expensive.

Last edited:

George Mann

Shooter
35mm
I have had several rolls sit in my camera for years in an uncontrolled environment with no ill affects shown when developed.

DREW WILEY

Shooter
8x10 Format
The question was about latent image stability after exposure, and how long one can safely wait prior to developing.

Philippe-Georges

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
If frozen (-18°C) the latent image will keep very long.
If kept cool (+/- 5°C) it keeps for about two or so weeks.
This is for professional film, whose emulsion underwent a (slightly-) different fermentation process than the amateur film...
Amateur film can withstand somewhat less care...

brbo

Shooter
Multi Format

Gulp, now that I know this, I expect most of my rolls (or at least first frames) will start coming out blank...

Philippe-Georges

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Gulp, now that I know this, I expect most of my rolls (or at least first frames) will start coming out blank...

Don't worry, this is/was explicit for professional (offset-) printing application and publication where colour reproduction is/was of paramount importance...
And is actually mainly intended for colour slide film as advised, at the time, by Kodak, Agfa and Fuji.
Colour negative film isn't that delicate, wether it is a professional or an amateur emulsion (even lesser).
Your rolls wil not coming out blank, perhaps under certain circumstances the colour balance might be a little off, but not insurmountable.

But I mentioned this to show some standards to which I/we had to answer...

OP
OP

AZD

Shooter
35mm
Thanks everyone, it sounds like it would be fine for my intended use case. A little color shift here or there wouldn’t be a deal breaker, not like roll of faded or blank frames, extreme color shifts.

DREW WILEY

Shooter
8x10 Format
When Ektachrome starts going geriatric, the symptoms are generally a little highlight crossover, along with some overall bit of blaah to the hue saturation, much like ourselves getting a little doty in the head, and looking a bit more pale, as we get over the hill.

Philippe-Georges

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
When Ektachrome starts going geriatric, the symptoms are generally a little highlight crossover, along with some overall bit of blaah to the hue saturation, much like ourselves getting a little doty in the head, and looking a bit more pale, as we get over the hill.

Which shows how "organically" analogue could be...

Sirius Glass

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
This is for professional film, whose emulsion underwent a (slightly-) different fermentation process than the amateur film...
Amateur film can withstand somewhat less care...

Put the camera in a sealed plastic bag such as a 1 or 2 gallon ZipLok bag, pushing out most of the air and store the camera in the refrigerator. When you want to use your camera again, take the camera and bag out of the refrigerator and wait for the camera to completely warm up before opening the bag. Take photographs and repeat until the roll of film is finished.

DREW WILEY

Shooter
8x10 Format
Never a vertical refrigerator of horizontal freezer if a Hassie is involved, but alway one of those little square office fridges.

brbo

Shooter
Multi Format
Put the camera in a sealed plastic bag such as a 1 or 2 gallon ZipLok bag, pushing out most of the air and store the camera in the refrigerator. When you want to use your camera again, take the camera and bag out of the refrigerator and wait for the camera to completely warm up before opening the bag. Take photographs and repeat until the roll of film is finished.

I'm storing all my cameras with unfinished rolls in Kodak's salt mines (the ones that they use for storing TMZ) and they won't allow me to bring in freezers with my cameras.

Not even the square ones.

What to do!!!!!?

DREW WILEY

Shooter
8x10 Format
Simple. Claim your camera is a "service dog", and its strap the leash.

Helge

Shooter
Medium Format

That is a sure way to destroy your camera. Mold will love it. The lubricants will harden.

Unless you have something special in mind, you can easily wait many months between exposure and development. No problem at all.
I don’t know where all the doom mongering comes from all of a sudden, concerning this topic.
The latent image starts to fade as soon as the photo is taken but the rate slows down to a very slow trickle after minutes.
The difference between a week and three months will be imperceptible to most people.
If you are careful and don’t place you camera in hot places and in a lot of sun you can take your time finishing the roll.

warden

Shooter
Medium Format
I'm storing all my cameras with unfinished rolls in Kodak's salt mines (the ones that they use for storing TMZ) and they won't allow me to bring in freezers with my cameras.

Not even the square ones.

What to do!!!!!?
Q: I have some latent images on film still in my camera. What should I do?
A: First, buy some land and hire an architect...

😅

DREW WILEY

Shooter
8x10 Format
Helge - Sirius was being facetious, un-serious. There's more to this forum than just legitimate technical information, like the noble task of driving the Moderator insane.

Helge

Shooter
Medium Format
Helge - Sirius was being facetious, un-serious. There's more to this forum than just legitimate technical information, like the noble task of driving the Moderator insane.

Humour should be delivered with pizzazz and snappy brevity. Not detailed instructions.
Problem with that brand of elaborate dry humour is that some people are bound to take it seriously and act on it.

Philippe-Georges

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Humor, as cynical it might appear, is the salt on the 'flow' of life...
That's why it is so important, putting into perspective, makes life bearable.

During the interbellum, when lots of people fled the pogroms and the sad rise of fascism in Europe; when trying to buit up a new life in the promised land, they used to say, and I quote: "Life is hard and then you die..."
But humor kept them going on fighting for survival...

Helge

Shooter
Medium Format
Humor, as cynical it might appear, is the salt on the 'flow' of life...
That's why it is so important, putting into perspective, makes life bearable.

During the interbellum, when lots of people fled the pogroms and the sad rise of fascism in Europe; when trying to buit up a new life in the promised land, they used to say, and I quote: "Life is hard and then you die..."
But humor kept them going on fighting for survival...

You’re giving Godwins law whiplash syndrome here with how quickly you are moving this.

Humor should be recognizable as humor.
Elaborate humor, can work if it is really elaborate, like Jonathan Swifts, A Modest Proposal (even that got misconstrued).
With this, you’re left not quite sure.

miha

Shooter
Multi Format
Pretty sure Sirius was serious with his suggestion (regardless of how strange it may seem to anyone).

Shooter
Multi Format
You’re giving Godwins law whiplash syndrome here with how quickly you are moving this.

Humor should be recognizable as humor.
Elaborate humor, can work if it is really elaborate, like Jonathan Swifts, A Modest Proposal (even that got misconstrued).
With this, you’re left not quite sure.

I often get misinterpreted especially my humor. Also, language and cultural differences often add to the confusion. If my wisecracks might be misunderstood, I try to remember to add a smilie. Doesn't always work though and I've ticked off people anyway. Sometimes I have to apologize which isn't easy.

I find jokes add to the conversation and make us human. I try to make jokes about myself. It's really easy to get too serious on a website and lose our humanity. After all, we should be more friendly to each other since we share the same hobby.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab Blue Moon Camera & Machine
Top Bottom