Dry air causing film curl - will film drier help?

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by pbromaghin, Dec 10, 2012.

1. pbromaghin

pbromaghin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    With the dry air here in Colorado, film curl is a menace. I know a guy with a Kindermann rapid film dryer for sale. Would this help with film curl or make it worse? Would I be better off just using a humidifier?

2. Mainecoonmaniac

Mainecoonmaniac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Are you drying with your film hanging with a weight in the end. That will help.

3. OP
    OP
    pbromaghin

pbromaghin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, I am. It curls along the length of the film like long trough and a weight won't stop that. I don't have an operational darkroom yet so I am still scanninng. Newton rings are a big problem. A guy who used to run a lab around here said he used to always have a humidifier going and when people would bring film in for enlarging, it would sometimes take a couple days to get the film to relax and flatten out.

4. sly

sly Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Also - what kind of film? Some curls more than others. HIE was dreadful. I always cut the curly stuff, put it in film sleeves, and flattened in my neg binder before using.

5. Dry the film in the bathroom after you have the bathroom steamed up from a shower. That will help reduce the curl.

6. OP
    OP
    pbromaghin

pbromaghin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sly - Usually TMax 100 or 400.
    Sirius - This bathroom is rarely used for showering, but we do have an extra humidifier to simulate it.

7. Bob-D659

Bob-D659 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A film dryer will make it worse and faster too. :sad: As others said, you need humidity to lessen the curl. 40-50% is ideal for drying film. The dryer it is, the more the curl.

8. Mainecoonmaniac

Mainecoonmaniac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    FB paper too

In the summer time, I have super curly FB prints. Slow drying makes FB prints flatter.

9. jimrohrer

jimrohrer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a copy of Eliott Erwitt's book, Personal Best. It must weigh about 20 pounds. After my negs are dry I sleeve them and press them under the book for a day or two. Works every time... but unfortunately, being under Eliott's book for a couple days hasn't improved my images!

10. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have the same issue. Nothing seems to help. For me, it takes months of storage for film to flatten out.... Tmax, Tri-X, Plus-X, everything curls. Strangely enough, Delta3200 does not curl....

11. OP
    OP
    pbromaghin

pbromaghin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You have this problem in humid Florida? Weird.

12. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, but my house is always air conditioned. So it is actually 40% RH during summer and dryer in winter....

13. Newt_on_Swings

Newt_on_Swings Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just sleeve and weigh them down as well. Works well and is fine in my experience. With a more humid environment, like with a room humidifier or in the shower, the drying time increases, and if your area is even slightly dusty, you negs may dry with dust on them.