Threads
Members
Latest member
coralluxurycleaning
Recent bookmarks

krisb1981

Shooter
Medium Format
I was thinking about converting a trunk in my car into a small darkroom to process paper negatives as well as load them on the go. Since I would be carrying chemicals in bottles with no way to cool them, one questions arrises. Do the chemicals for processing BW paper need to be 68F for proper developing? or can they be 85F? I am thinking, since paper develops to competion in about 60-90 seconds, does higher temps affect anything else, contrast maybe?

Dkirk

Shooter
4x5 Format
Not sure about contrast (I think it will increase - but if anyone can correct me please do) but with the higher the temp, the faster it will be developed.

cliveh

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm RF
85 is a bit high. I would suggest you try and keep within about 10 degrees above or below. Why not transport your chemicals in vacuum flasks?

jp498

Shooter
Multi Format
85 will work fine, just a little faster. It will oxidize faster if you don't keep it in a tight container when not in use.

Tom1956

Shooter
Large Format
Calls to mind an old formula called Harold Harvey's Panthermic 777.

cheny03

Shooter
35mm RF
No need to be exactly 68F for paper, but 85F is a little too high.

DannL.

Shooter
Large Format
I have developed paper negatives in the field by transferring the paper to a plastic print-drum inside a changing bag. Then I used chemistry that I had transported in a igloo cooler which contained a small amount of ice. That was fine then because it was in the middle of summer. I then rolled the drum by hand on the bed of the truck. I wasn't really concerned then as I am now about temperature. Now, I would probably transport two versions of chemicals, one in a ice filled cooler and another outside of the cooler. Then I'd mix the two in a container while measuring the temperature just prior to pouring into the drum. Afterward a quick water-rinse in the field was fine, followed up by giving them a good wash when I arrive at home.

Last edited by a moderator:

Axle

Shooter
Multi Format
Personally, I stick to 1-2 degrees plus or minus, and then keep same developing times without any real noticeable changes.

I aim to really to only have a 1 degree margin.

NedL

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Just out of curiosity, is the intention to then make contact prints in the field? Paper negatives store quite well after exposure for later development...

OP
OP

krisb1981

Shooter
Medium Format
Reason behind me developing in the field is to see the results right then, rather than taking them home and developing there. Also if I shot a portrait of someone, I would like to give them the positive (yes, I plan to shoot positive paper) right then and there.

bsdunek

Shooter
Multi Format

Attachments

• manwithacamera.jpg
    manwithacamera.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 37
  • 260px-Charles_Bronson_Man_With_a_Camera_1959.JPG
    260px-Charles_Bronson_Man_With_a_Camera_1959.JPG
    25.8 KB · Views: 38
Shooter
Medium Format
the speed of chemical reaction depends on temperature, but a time compensation similar to film development should help some. check Dr. Henry's 'Controls in B&WPhotography for some more details or conduct your own tests. remember that you will need a min time to dev full blacks. pulling a print prematurely will make for weak mid tones and shadows.

NB23

Shooter
35mm
Too hot it tends to bring out fog on the paper...

pentaxuser

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
I seem to recall that when Nova Darkroom made( or probably more accurately had produced for them) a paper developer it had a scale of temperatures on the label that went up to 85F. Dev time at that temp was very short( probably 25-30 secs)

They no longer seem to make it but if I am right it means that it was perfectly possible to make a developer that operated at 85F

Ian Grant who spends a lot of his time in Turkey has to print at high temps. A post from him might help confirm whether 85F is OK

If there is no easy way to cool the developer then all you can do is try it at 85 in your darkroom to see if it works OK. If it does then you are good to go

Let us know the outcome

pentaxuser

Kawaiithulhu

Shooter
Multi Format
You may want to try using a more diluted mixture at your higher temperature. You need a development time long enough to give you some accuracy and precision, plus a more dilute solution will help tame the hot contrast you're likely to get from a short and very active cycle.

Also, longer times help even out development which is why we don't normally use super concentrated developers and zap paper/film at 120f for 10 seconds in the first place.

NedL

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Reason behind me developing in the field is to see the results right then, rather than taking them home and developing there. Also if I shot a portrait of someone, I would like to give them the positive (yes, I plan to shoot positive paper) right then and there.
Makes sense, especially with portraits :wink:

Bill Burk

Subscriber
Shooter
4x5 Format
|Iagree 65+-5 will be fine

I agree. You're never too far from a bag of ice...

No matter what, since you are shooting direct positive... you will have immediate feedback on how well the process is going.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab Blue Moon Camera & Machine
Top Bottom