do you replenish your c41 E-6 final rinse?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Geoff mountfield
Recent bookmarks

destroya

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I got a box of fuji pro rinse for the E-6 process today. the online pdf fact sheet has a replenishment schedule listed for it. Its about 55ml per 35mm and 120 roll.

does anyone replenish their final rinse? I guess the question can apply to B&W photoflo rinse as well. I have never replenish in the many years Ive been doing color developing. I always mix with distilled water, use for the entire development session and then dump. It seems kinda odd to me, but what do I know, hence my question.

working solution and the replenisher is 990 ml water 10 ml concentrate. seems strange to add 55ml to replenish. so what am I missing or not understanding?

https://www.fujifilmusa.com/shared/bin/817622.pdf

thanks

john

MattKing

Shooter
Multi Format
Final rinse products for colour emulsions contain more than just the surfactants found in black and white products like Kodak Photo-flo.
The colour final rinse products also contain bactericides, which are not required for black and white films, due to the anti-bacterial qualities of the silver in black and white negatives.
Most likely the colour final rinse products also contain other chemical elements that help preserve colour dyes.
Those extra components react chemically with the developed films in ways that both exhaust the chemical capacity of the final rinse, and produce byproducts that might impede function if allowed to build up.
So, if you are developing in a commercial environment that has a high throughput of film, to get efficient use from your final rinse you need to replenish the final rinse in an amount that both removes sufficient byproduct and adds sufficient extra chemical capacity for each film developed.
Fuji recommends a replenishment rate of 55ml for each 120 roll. So you take out 55ml of used, diluted to working strength final rinse and add 55ml of fresh, diluted to working strength final rinse replenisher to the batch.
Practically speaking that probably means separating a larger than 55ml portion of the solution from the rest, adding 55ml of replenishment, and then pouring as much of the separated portion back as is necessary to top off the tank.

Rudeofus

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
There are compounds in final rinse which work behind the curtains - you only notice lack of bactericide after keeping your film in moist environment. But the effect of one component is very visible from day 1: the deionized water, which washes out remaining water hardness, and thereby prevents water drying marks. You can't replenish this, in fact you'd ideally use final rinse single shot, depending on the water hardness of your tap water. PhotoEngineer provided a simple recipe here on photrio, made from readily available ingredients, so cost can't possibly be an issue here.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom