Do You Know People With Other Hobbies That Make Use Of Quality Photo Equipment?

Discussion in 'Ethics and Philosophy' started by Arklatexian, Aug 26, 2018.

1. Arklatexian

Arklatexian Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have always sort of envied people who had a definite purpose for their photography. I have known people who made pictures of wild-flowers, not much else, just wildflowers. The hobby that I am most famaliar with locally are the railroaders. These people travel long distances to photograph trains or as some people prefer\: "cho-chos". They use Nikons, Canons, Leicas, Hasselblads, 4x5 SpeedvGraphics. They want equipment that won't let them down after spending money and all of their vacation getting to and from, for instance SW Colorado, Northern New Mexico, Europe, Etc. Is this, in the opinion of this group, a legitimate use of photographic equipment?

2. BAC1967

BAC1967 Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    There are aircraft spotters, they document and photograph airplanes much like the railroaders you mentioned. They tend to use digital cameras though. Just like trains they document the registration number and can get a lot of information on the aircraft from that.

https://m.wikihow.com/Be-an-Aircraft-Spotter

I think using a camera to make any image is a legitimate use of photographic equipment.

3. Ko.Fe.

Ko.Fe. Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Food photography. I know people who photograph food they made, sell it and sell photos of food.
    And then where are knife addicts. I remember more than one who wanted to photograph it with Leica. One fetish on top of another one.

4. chriscrawfordphoto

chriscrawfordphoto Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    My son, a computer science student at Purdue, is really heavily into building things with Lego. He has a DSLR and a macro lens that he uses to photograph the things he creates, then he posts the pics to online Lego forums.

5. phaedrus

phaedrus Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Strange that no one mentioned birders yet. Prone to apply long, expensive lenses and the latest DSLR at the end of them. Tripod, gimbal, camouflage, it all adds up to an expensive past-time.

6. OP
    OP
    Arklatexian

Arklatexian Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Among the rail buffs I know, Digital is used mostly in conjunction with a digital projector so they can be shown to a group. Rail buffs like to look at pictures of trains as well as take their pictures......Regards!

7. NJH

NJH Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Astronomers would be another obvious one, astrophotography seems to be a growing field as well. I had a friend did it with a modified canon DSLR (IR cut filter removed).

8. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    Why not?

9. Nodda Duma

Nodda Duma Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    10-15 years ago I was pretty heavy into film astrophotography. My least expensive piece of equipment was the camera, an Olympus OM-1. Once we started having kids and then moved to New Hampshire, I just couldn’t find the time for it and transitioned into “just” photography.

10. OP
    OP
    Arklatexian

Arklatexian Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think everyone gets the point! There is much more to photography than just "equipment, chemistry, and art". Ever notice how bird spotting, plane spotting and train spotting are alike?........Regards!

11. Larry the sailor

Larry the sailor Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I had drifted away from photography for 20+ years. I got into sailing and was sort of disgusted with the dismal quality of the cellphone pics of boats at the lake I sail on and it was one reason I picked it back up with a DSLR. Since then it kind of metastasized into 35mm, medium format and 4X5.

12. jtk

jtk Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    Years ago when I sold photo supplies exclusively to pros I had a client who was a technician for a proctologist.

13. Kilgallb

Kilgallb Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    When I was leading the design of projectors for my company we use a DSLR to photograph and Analyze the image quality of every item off the assembly line.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.