gigidamico
Recent bookmarks
OP
OP
hoffy

hoffy

Shooter
Multi Format
HaHa Facebook is ONLY for old farts. The kids ditched it years ago. Instagram is quickly becoming an old farts site as well which is just fine by me. Twitter is a cesspool of hate so I avoid it.

I think I am knocking on old fart territory, but I keep on telling myself I am wrong. Ironically, my kids (19 and 17) both have Facebook accounts. Apparently, they all use messenger.

Shooter
Multi Format
There are pros and cons. I am like you and err on the side of privacy and do not share much. Never had IG and do not like sharing here. That's on one hand.

On the other hand, it's hard to take technical advice seriously from people if I have not seen their work. When someone says "use this or do this, works great!" my mind is sending that advice straight to the trash because 80% of the world is filled with poorly made stuff, I have not seen what "great" means for them, so I assume that with 0.8 probability it's garbage. From that perspective I wish more people shared their work, so I could be less dismissive of their opinions.

@hoffy back to the original topic: In my opinion, photography as an art form is deprived of appreciative audience. Photographs are simply not valued as much as paintings or music. The Photrio crowd may think that Ansel Adams is an artist, but every non-photographer I know believes that his work is only worthy of a waiting room in a dental office. I have long accepted that no matter how good you are, the world does not care. I feel so lucky that it's not true in my career field. I would have been miserable if I was a photographer. In that sense, sharing is pointless. IG is a marketing tool, I have nothing to sell, so I never saw any reason to share anything there. I shoot for the audience of one, and I learned to enjoy the process and the results immensely. It's liberating.
The problem is not only that it may be "bad". It just may not be to my taste. Why try changing your technique if you can't see samples?

I mean if a guy said his girlfriend is gorgeous, I would take his word for it. What difference would it make to think otherwise? But if he asked me if I'd like to date his sister, I'd like to see a picture.

Shooter
Multi Format
I started using IG at my daughter's insistence a few years back. It is the worst possible format to display 35mm photos, and I find the look of my photos there quite dispiriting. Nowadays I can't be bothered to enter loads of hashtags, and any 'likes' I get are from family and close friends. However, I do enjoy following certain other photographers whose work I really admire, and through IG suggestions have 'discovered' several people whose books I have later bought. For that reason I find it hard to leave.

I also quite enjoy the skateboarding dogs - although the cursing parrots on YouTube are even more fun.

On Youtube, I enjoy watching car accidents taken from video cams on dashboards. It's pretty funny how some people drive and the contortions they try to put the vehicles through.

Shooter
Multi Format
I think I am knocking on old fart territory, but I keep on telling myself I am wrong. Ironically, my kids (19 and 17) both have Facebook accounts. Apparently, they all use messenger.

I just checked the email address of the thirty people in my photo club at our 55+ community. Three of them still use AOL.

Sirius Glass

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
HaHa Facebook is ONLY for old farts. The kids ditched it years ago. Instagram is quickly becoming an old farts site as well which is just fine by me. Twitter is a cesspool of hate so I avoid it.

You are being most generous calling Twitter a cesspool.

Sirius Glass

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Trust me, with the naughty little boy at the helm, people are jumping off left right and centre

Not fast enough. The major advertisers need to jump ship completely and forever.

Shooter
35mm RF
I started IG about a little over a year ago. I am all the way up to a massive 115 followers. Lol. I follow 348 apparently but who they all are I have no idea. I should probably purge but I suspect that IG wouldn't like that and I'd take a hit with the algorithm, not that it would matter much. I'd hate to unfollow someone and hurt their feelings too, if that would ever happen. I don't get any t&a in my feed. Pretty much just what I usually look at and the crappy commercials that are too loud. For a while I had to click on them to get them to stop. I'm sure they did that on purpose to try to raise revenue. IG and Facepuke are kinda in trouble in case you haven't noticed. Stock is in the tank... I do like finding gems though. It makes the short time I spend on IG totally worth it.

I am not on Facepuke. Never thought it was worth it, but if someone has a reason it is I am all ears.

I've never had an account at Flickr, or I should say I've never posted any images to Flickr. I'd say though that I see the best photography there, but that could just be who I follow but I don't follow many.

If you are a film shooter then there is Grainery. I signed up there but haven't figured the place out. Looks like IG for film shooters.

If you hate Twitter then there is a new one coming from the same guy who started Twitter called Blue Sky. It would crack me up to see Musk faceplant.... Odds are if Blue Sky takes off Twitter will be in big trouble.

Valerie

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I was having issues with IG as well. Are you aware of the "following" function?
Click on the Instagram at the top and look for the down arrow. Click that and you get the option for "following" and "favorites"
I click following and only see those I follow. No ads or other nonsense. It has made all the difference for me!
Apparently not all devices have that down arrow......

OP
OP
hoffy

hoffy

Shooter
Multi Format
Click on the Instagram at the top and look for the down arrow. Click that and you get the option for "following" and "favorites"
I click following and only see those I follow. No ads or other nonsense. It has made all the difference for me!

Today I learned! Thanks. I had never tried that. And it appears to be chronological as well!

Don Heisz

Shooter
35mm RF
Recently, Instagram made it possible to post from a computer. You aren't even forced to crop - it will post the original aspect ratio.

ooze

Shooter
Multi Format

Wasn't aware of this! Very helpful. Thank you!

VinceInMT

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I am not on Facepuke. Never thought it was worth it, but if someone has a reason it is I am all ears.

One reason that I am on it is that many of my various hobbies, interests, and passions had group discussions on Yahoo Groups. When Yahoo got rid of that service, many/most migrated to Facebook. I have zero problems using it for those, After all, there aren’t that many other places where those of us interested in 8-track tapes can hang out together.

VinceInMT

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I mean if a guy said his girlfriend is gorgeous, I would take his word for it. What difference would it make to think otherwise? But if he asked me if I'd like to date his sister, I'd like to see a picture.

In foreign policy this was known as “Trust, but verify.”

OP
OP
hoffy

hoffy

Shooter
Multi Format
So, I went back to the 'gram recently for a look, using the "Following" filter as described above. Its amazing how slow my actual feed is now that I have gotten rid of the rubbish!

Social Media is so much about influence and telling the kids what is cool. When I back it down to what I want to see, its much more enjoyable and easy to follow. Thanks for the suggestions above.

Duceman

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I've never ever liked InstaGram.... never liked the layout, never liked that you have to have an account to view images, etc.

I've had a paid account at Flickr the past 12 years. It's a way to showcase my photography without having to set up my own webpage. That's what I've used it for. I can also use it to share photos with friends/family on a semi-public basis, which can be done by uploading photos, setting them to "private", but then put them in an album which can be shared with anyone who has a link. I've never really used Flickr for its "social" connection, so I don't care if the "boards" aren't all that active.

Shooter
Multi Format
I've never ever liked InstaGram.... never liked the layout, never liked that you have to have an account to view images, etc.

I've had a paid account at Flickr the past 12 years. It's a way to showcase my photography without having to set up my own webpage. That's what I've used it for. I can also use it to share photos with friends/family on a semi-public basis, which can be done by uploading photos, setting them to "private", but then put them in an album which can be shared with anyone who has a link. I've never really used Flickr for its "social" connection, so I don't care if the "boards" aren't all that active.

Why don't you add your Flickr link to your signature so we can see your photos as well?

Duceman

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Why don't you add your Flickr link to your signature so we can see your photos as well?

I did have it in my signature. But a few months back, when I dipped my toes in the SoapBox (before it was removed), some crazies here tried to Dox me based upon my Flickr account. So I removed that, as well as every photo I posted to Photrio. Never again.

Eric Rose

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I did have it in my signature. But a few months back, when I dipped my toes in the SoapBox (before it was removed), some crazies here tried to Dox me based upon my Flickr account. So I removed that, as well as every photo I posted to Photrio. Never again.

Ya we got some real winners here. Sorry to hear about your problems.

OP
OP
hoffy

hoffy

Shooter
Multi Format

That's really bad. I never thought that there would be people who behave like that here.

Shooter
Multi Format

Sorry. I don't know what that means.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom