Members
Latest member
Lightspeed2000
Recent bookmarks

VinceInMT

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I suppose that for some, they are not interested in the materials that were produced to create the end product. It would be akin to requesting all the sawdust and wood scraps after having a custom piece of furniture built.

I think that many also miss the point that the negative is the original image and anything that comes after it is a copy.

For me, I keep my negatives, in an orderly manner, and have sine 1973. I recently finished scanning them all and the digital copies are organized in a custom database I wrote, each roll tagged with descriptions that allow easy searching. The database runs on my internal web server and I can pull up a searched roll, view a virtual contact sheet, and enlarge individual images. I think this is the type of thing people use Lightroom for but I’m a DIY type of person.

MTGseattle

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Dang, I've bought other people's negatives before (antique store). I was hoping for historical significance, but identifying any of the subjects is nigh on impossible. Some of the old films had/have amazing clarity and detail though. They're fun to throw on the light table.

CMoore

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
So, I went to the local lab to pick up some 120 color negs and prints. This lab recently moved to a location close to the University and appears to be popular with the 20 somethings. There behind the counter was a stack of stuff ready for pickup, and written on the one on top of the stack was "D/P/Scan, Discard negatives." WHAT???!!! I asked the counter person what is was about and she said it's common; once the kids have the scans and prints they don't want the negs. I thought of the 100 years of family history that I have at home in the form of negatives, and said, "you know, 50 years from now someone's going to publish a book of photos printed from discarded negatives, and get famous for it." She giggled, but then her eyes twinkled, like maybe she had an idea...😆

This perplexes me no end......... "she said it's common; once the kids have the scans and prints they don't want the negs"

I am not a "film-snob" in the least. I have seen LOTS of great photos taken by digital cameras.

But it begs the question........... you are not developing the film, you do not have a darkroom, and you do not want the negs...............Why shoot film.?

snusmumriken

Shooter
35mm
This is a slightly different issue, but as a 35mm user, I shoot at least 35 rubbish frames for every one that I consider worth printing, let alone keeping. I do keep all those negatives, and I often wonder why. I never find any hidden gems among them, and when I'm gone no-one will want to store them. So why not chuck out all the strips with nothing worthwhile on them? HCB even went so far as to cut away adjacent frames.

faberryman

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
But it begs the question........... you are not developing the film, you do not have a darkroom, and you do not want the negs...............Why shoot film.?

For all the reasons trotted out in the blogs, most of which are a bunch of hooey.

Last edited:

mrosenlof

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I would take it as a sign of the times, and not a sign to find a new lab.

TomNY

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I can't bring myself to toss my negatives even though I'm quite sure I won't use them again. I guess I'll leave it up to my kids.

madsox

Shooter
Multi Format
I've kept all my negatives since ever, a habit I learned from my dad. Unfortunately, when he passed we just didn't have the resources to keep his negatives - there were 70 years' worth of everything from slides and 35mm film to boxes of 4x5 and 8x10... I still feel sad about that, but it was right in the height of the Covid lockdowns and things were more than a little disrupted.

I suppose some day I'll discard my old stuff, hopefully I can have time to go through all of it and pick out the top 1 or 2 percent that I'd really want my kids to keep.

mshchem

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
I don't care. I process all my own stuff.

Do these people spend 30-40 dollars on a roll of Ektachrome and processing only to get digital files?

This renaissance of film will last as long as it's a fad.

rcphoto

Shooter
Medium Format
I suppose some day I'll discard my old stuff, hopefully I can have time to go through all of it and pick out the top 1 or 2 percent that I'd really want my kids to keep.

You make a good point. I went through some of my catalogs from college and before. Most of it isn’t worth printing and the only one who would want to make prints from them would be me. So when I’m dead what would be the point of passing them on?

Sirius Glass

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Do not discard negatives ever. If you do you will regret it. Maybe not tomorrow or in a week. But the day will come when you will throw up your hands to the sky, crying, "Why did it do it! Why did I ever throw my negatives and slides away!

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab Blue Moon Camera & Machine
Top Bottom