Threads
Members
Latest member
coralluxurycleaning
Recent bookmarks

hdeyong

Shooter
35mm
When I bought a darkroom outfit a while ago, one of the nice surprises in it was a Kodak Darkroom Dataguide. It's full of useful info, including the same developing wheel. That thing's fast and convenient, and I use it to adjust for temperature changes as we go through the seasons. If you ever run across one of these little books, grab it.

MattKing

Shooter
Multi Format
To the OP: welcome to APUG and thanks for your post.

The Kodak Darkroom Dataguides are an excellent example of what you suggest.

But if you cannot find one, your link could be quite useful.

MattKing

Shooter
Multi Format
I have use the wheel in the Kodak Darkroom Dataguide works great if have one and using all Kodak.
The other is last I new Kodak stop printing it 25 years ago.

Dave

You can use the Kodak wheel for all films.

Use other sources (e.g. Ilford website, Massive Developing Chart) to determine a "developing number" for 68F/20C developing of your film and developer combination. You can then use the wheel for that combination.

It is true that they haven't been published recently. But there are a lot of used ones out there, and it really doesn't matter which vintage you use.

The trick is in determining the correct developing number.

jstraw

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I have a Kodak Darkroom Dataguide. I've been struggling with transposing some MDG times. This is very helpful.

Mike Wilde

Shooter
Multi Format
I use Kodak's all the time.
Most of my notes on development say things like Plus X Pan process normal d-76 1:1 low contraast lighting DN 43, for example.
The DN 43 gives a setting on the dial that gives a range of tiem and temperatures.

I try to stay close ish to 20C, but am not fanatic about it with this tool.

George Collier

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I use a 40 year old Kodak data guide too - not for the times they give, but to adjust between temp changes, etc. I even have the index number from the guide in some of my records.
The enlarging guide is handy too, just for approximating exposure adjustment between enlarging ratios.

cliveh

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm RF
With regards to time/temperature charts/wheels. In my darkroom I have a little chart that shows the development time for temperatures 5 degrees above and below 68F/20C for FP4 in D76 at 1:1. I don't process outside those limits.

peter k.

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Da... Ive printed out the Development wheel, but am I correct, that is worthless, without the guide to give you the ''DEVELOPING NUMBER'" of that particular film?
As exampled on its page one, it shows developing Arista.edu Ultra B&W ISO 400.. and that must be referenced in the guide as #38 ... ???

Hmmm..

I suppose it has its use, without the guide, using the times you have come up with for your own situation, agitation, type of water ect, or going to Digital Truth, and set developing time, and then you can mark that 'DEVELOPING NUMBER' .. in your notes for that film, and then have an easy read, for the changes in temperature of the development, and / o, lower or raise the contrast.

Have I grokked this out correctly... ;-)

erikg

Shooter
Multi Format
I use the Massive Developing Chart app, it has a temp/time converter built in.

jstraw

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
My 1996 Kodak Darkroom Dataguide has no wheel. There's a chart...and not much of one. *sigh*

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab Blue Moon Camera & Machine
Top Bottom