Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swededreams
Recent bookmarks
Shooter
Multi Format
I got some old Ilford Delta 100 4x5 sheet from Keith a while back and just got around to shooting it. The date is somewhere in 2005. I exposed based on an EI of 50. Should my normal development times be for an EI of 50 or 100? I made two exposures of each subject so I have some film to play around with to get it right. Shot around noon but there was suprisingly low SBR so, well, whaddy'all think, huh?

OP
OP
Christopher Walrath
Shooter
Multi Format
Well, now, I've probably answered my own question. If I expose ISO 100 at ISO 50 to make it act like ISO 100, then I should process the expired 100 I exposed to make it act like 100 at an EI of 100.

In other words, process as though it were 100. Am I right? I think so. Don't worry. I just love the sound of my own fingers hitting the keys.

Perry Way

Shooter
Multi Format
I would use Ilfotec DDX as it is primarily recommended and I've done some tests of my own and have always gotten the best results from it as well, there really is a difference. Ilford has some verbiage somewhere on their site that relates to your post. I don't recall the link or how to go about finding it right now, but for expired films the best results are with Ilfotec DDX and there is some sliding scale for how much longer you need to increase your development time. It's not by much. My guess is you expose at 100 ISO and develop an extra 30 seconds, so about 12 minutes, 30 seconds.

OP
OP
Christopher Walrath
Shooter
Multi Format
Thanks, Perry. I have no DDX so I'm gonna play with the HC110. I do have two exposures for each subject so I have a little leeway to do with here.

Usagi

Shooter
Multi Format
Having used a lot of expired films, even ones that haven't stored properly in the freezer, I would say that you can develop film as you would develop fresh film.
Only when I am calibrating film developing process for certain film, I make sure that film is fresh like all chemicals also. After I have done calibration and will got some expired film, I use just same developing time and method that I would use with fresh film.

The films like Delta 3200 and Tmax 3200 will have stronger base fog after they have been expired some 3-5 years ago. But still they are a quite usable.

Just photographed and developed color slide film, Kodak P800/1600 that was expired at 1992. It was still fine expect perhaps some lose of speed.

dburian

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Due to circumstances beyond other's control (someone's film-frig died), I was given some 4X5 TMX100 expired '98 and '02, 4X5 Delta 400 of similar age, two rolls of Plus-X and a roll of Tri-X that expired in '82. I shot it all at box speed and developed it all in Ilford HC 1+31 at the recommended times. The only issue I saw with any of it was the Tri-X was pretty fogged. The rest all had nice clear base and made normal contrast negatives.
DB

2F/2F

Shooter
Multi Format
How did the film turn out, Chris? I am curious.

OP
OP
Christopher Walrath
Shooter
Multi Format
Well, I'm being slow in exposing it. Only three exposures so far (three pairs that is). But I am going to get to it, well, helping build a ramp at Mom and Dad's this weekend. Probably around the 1st. I will keep you apprised. Heck, I'll contact print that day and post them here.

wclark5179

Shooter
35mm RF
Gosh, I've got medium format Kodak TMY that expired in 2002 & develop with regular time. I've got about 20 rolls left. Bought a bunch of it on a closeout!

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom